LegacyGT.com

05 5EAT Duarbility

SonOfBadBoy

So I just got to the dealership today on the back of a flatbed wrecker.....Waited a couple hours to determine what is making the clunking sound......and OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG......... Stripped planetary gear set for the rear drive. My 5EAT is cashed. Still under factory powertrain warranty, but SOA is going to let the dealership know what to do-- to fix or not to fix--@ SOA's expense. OR MINE......:eek:

Man I am soo bummed....

Mods---

Fully catless UP/DP

K&N Typhoon CAI

Rallitek STG 2 Protune

Too much power for the damn thing....

Will follow up after I get the quote for repairs or OK from SOA for doing it.

CAREFUL ALL----- PLZ DO NOT OVER POWER UR TRANNY--U WILL REGRET IT!!!!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as i said, i'm quite positive we'll be seeing more stg 2 5EAT's blow up trannys. stg 2 is too torquey and just kills the trans. :( you're at full stg 2, so unless they are mod friendly, they are gonna most likely deny your warranty. those power mods you've got is what killed the car... how long on stg 2? drive it hard? launch it a lot?
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

not all people post on these forums. here, i know of 2 or 3 who had stg 2 or less on their 5eats and blew up the trans. remember, i have an insider on what goes on at the dealer here. ;)

not all people post on these forums. here, i know of 2 or 3 who had stg 2 or less on their 5eats and blew up the trans. remember, i have an insider on what goes on at the dealer here. ;)

But there are also people that are stage2+ 5eats that do not post and their transmissions are fine.

You can add another failed 5EAT to the list. I been at stage 2 for the past 21K, but the last 8K was babied and I've never launched it (sole owner and driver). It never showed signs until immediately after I installed the IPT valve body. Fluid was good at 30K when I switched to Amsoil, and again at 53K when I pulled the VB out with just a faint grey film around the magnet. Unfortunately, the VB has a story behind it as well so its a "chicken or the egg" conundrum.

But there are also people that are stage2+ 5eats that do not post and their transmissions are fine.

true, however to say that it can't happen and doesn't is not the case. i'm quite positive that mine would have blown up if i'd left it the way it was had I not done the sti swap in it when i did. it just showed more signs of what was going on. the damage had been done long before the sti swap was in place since it was an immediate issue.

still running reasonably well here... Tranny is showing some signs of being tired, but she's got over almost 90k now, and over 104k on the car. almost all the miles on the tranny are stage 2 and beyond
SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

good to know you're still running! luckily, my 05 is running strong! probably close to 60K miles on her by now from the new owner. See him every so often around town. Good thing all the wear and tear parts I beat on came off the car.

ok this is yet another 5eat kill story.. so.. I think I'm going to have to put stage 2 out of my mind for good.. you suck! :lol::( I really wanted this too.

interested to see how SOA handles this.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Yeah, you and me both, buddy! I am scared to death of the possible outcome. :icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry:

I already have a quote to replace the tranny----

$4500=

reman tranny

fluid

gaskets/seals

labor

misc parts

tax

:icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry:

Time to invest in a mo-ped.

GAME OVER

FAIL

still running reasonably well here... Tranny is showing some signs of being tired, but she's got over almost 90k now, and over 104k on the car. almost all the miles on the tranny are stage 2 and beyond

80K miles=

(20k at stage 2.5+)

(40k at stage 2.0)

(10k at stage 1.0)

(10k at stage 0.0)

No slipping or problems here. Although sometimes she makes a few sounds or a few hard shifts from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd.

Unfortunately, the VB has a story behind it as well so its a "chicken or the egg" conundrum.

So what you are saying is the VB was not new, it was purchased from another member?

SonOfABoy, still haven't responded to inquiries as to how the 5EAT was used ;)

Stripped planetary gearset for the rear drive? Let's stop and think about this for a minute, I am by no means a tranny expert but that doesn't seem to me like something that would fail due to power increase?

AKLGT, if you've got inside info on undisclosed on LGT.com 5EAT failures, I'm all ears about details.

well, once I had the IPT VB in the car, i launched that car! :lol: however, in my mind, I always knew there was the chance it would blow up. glad she's still running strong.

HLS, any issues? seems to be going smooth so far *knocks on wood*

Have about 35k on stock setup, and 15k on a Stage II setup on my 5EATwithout a problem. No hard launches, but do push it now and then. Swap out 4 or so quarts of 5EAT fluid every other oil change. Never an issue...yet. It seems though everytime I hear about a 5EAT biting the dust on here, it is almost always followed by the statement that the car just had the tranny and diff serviced and flushed, or an IPT mod installation. I'm going by the motto, "if it ain't broken...don't fix it".

well, once I had the IPT VB in the car, i launched that car! :lol: however, in my mind, I always knew there was the chance it would blow up. glad she's still running strong.

HLS, any issues? seems to be going smooth so far *knocks on wood*

My leggy is doing good so far *looks for wood*. I think the 5eat could use some strengthing from the factory, but that could be said about alot of automatics. Treat this tranny like a stray dog folks, dont mess with it and it wont come back to bite you. For those of you who track with the 5eat you know the risk your taking so no lectures for you, but for the rest of us who look for power and use the car as nothing but a weekend toy and/or DD, please know the risks and drive accordingly.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

Archived