LegacyGT.com

Clearing up all the oil info....

FWIW, on oil usage, I read in the paper the other day that Chrysler just released it's ok for their 2012 and 2013 cars to use 1 qt every 750 miles.

How's that make you feel...

Doesn't surprise me. When was the last time you drove behind a Chrysler product that wasn't belching blue smoke out the exhaust :lol:

Acctually walked into walmart today for school supplies with the kidlet.

Noticed the RotellaT6 and then the Mobile 1 TDT 5w40. Both about the same price I beleive. Next round going to try one or the other.

Thoughts on the the TDT formula in these gas motors.

Sean

Acctually walked into walmart today for school supplies with the kidlet.

Noticed the RotellaT6 and then the Mobile 1 TDT 5w40. Both about the same price I beleive. Next round going to try one or the other.

Thoughts on the the TDT formula in these gas motors.

Sean

I very reputable shop told me mobile one has the consistency water when it gets hot. Obviously there's more to it then that but that's how they explained it

• 1 month later...

I have access to Mobilgard 409, it's a 40w (probably a 15-40) diesel engine oil used for EMD 2-stroke medium speed locomotive engines. Filled my engine with it, 1000 miles on the stuff so far.

No issues.

Will have to go to 5w30 for the winter though, think the 40w is a little too thick for November thru March.

Mobil1 makes a synthetic 0-40 that will work well for the winter (since 0 is the first number which matters for the cold starts) and still keep the thickness at high temps. I've had good experience with that oil in the past and even had it tested through Blackstone and it held up well over a 4k+ mi change interval. the results might even be in this thread (or one of these oil threads, it was a long time ago)

it's a little pricey, though. $8-$9 a quart I think

I have access to Mobilgard 409, it's a 40w (probably a 15-40) diesel engine oil used for EMD 2-stroke medium speed locomotive engines. Filled my engine with it, 1000 miles on the stuff so far.

No issues.

Will have to go to 5w30 for the winter though, think the 40w is a little too thick for November thru March.

I'm running Amsoil 5w-40 year round, the 5w is when it's cold. I drive lots of highway miles so the 40w protects when the turbos hot all year round.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Interesting info on oil wear protection tests done by independent test lab. http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

I wanted to point out one of the more popular oil being used here (which I used to run) and compared to the Amsoil Series 3000 HDD 5w-30 that I currently use (what would you want to protect your engine with?):

96. 5W40 SHELL ROTELLA T6 Diesel Oil synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, SM, SL = 67,804 psi

zinc = TBD

phos = TBD

moly = TBD

12. 5W30 Amsoil Series 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil synthetic, API CI-4 PLUS, CF, SL, ACEA A3/B3, E2, E3, E5, E7 = 102,642 psi

This is BY FAR, the highest ranked Diesel oil I have ever tested. This oil is Engineered for Diesel engines not equipped with Diesel particulate filters (DPF). Amsoil says this oil delivers better wear protection than other popular Diesel oils. And in this case, their hype is absolutely true. They also say it effectively reduces fuel consumption, with its advanced fuel efficient formula. This oil costs $11.15 per quart in the 2013 Amsoil Factory Direct Retail Catalog, which is 10% more than Amsoil’s 5W40 Premium Synthetic Diesel Oil. So, in this case, you pay only 10% more for the Amsoil Series 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, but you get a whopping 33% more wear protection than you get with the Amsoil’s 5W40 Premium Synthetic Diesel Oil. Money very well spent, if you run a Diesel oil intended for engines not equipped with Diesel particulate filters. The next highest ranked Diesel oil only ranks a very unimpressive 54th out of the 118 oils I’ve tested so far. So, this 5W30 Amsoil Series 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil is in a class of its own, among all the Diesel oils I have tested.

zinc = TBD

phos = TBD

moly = TBD

Edited by 510Finn
A

Interesting info on oil wear protection tests done by independent test lab. http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

I wanted to point out one of the more popular oil being used here (which I used to run) and compared to the Amsoil Series 3000 HDD 5w-30 that I currently use (what would you want to protect your engine with?):

96. 5W40 SHELL ROTELLA T6 Diesel Oil synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, SM, SL = 67,804 psi

zinc = TBD

phos = TBD

moly = TBD

12. 5W30 Amsoil Series 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil synthetic, API CI-4 PLUS, CF, SL, ACEA A3/B3, E2, E3, E5, E7 = 102,642 psi

This is BY FAR, the highest ranked Diesel oil I have ever tested. This oil is Engineered for Diesel engines not equipped with Diesel particulate filters (DPF). Amsoil says this oil delivers better wear protection than other popular Diesel oils. And in this case, their hype is absolutely true. They also say it effectively reduces fuel consumption, with its advanced fuel efficient formula. This oil costs $11.15 per quart in the 2013 Amsoil Factory Direct Retail Catalog, which is 10% more than Amsoil’s 5W40 Premium Synthetic Diesel Oil. So, in this case, you pay only 10% more for the Amsoil Series 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, but you get a whopping 33% more wear protection than you get with the Amsoil’s 5W40 Premium Synthetic Diesel Oil. Money very well spent, if you run a Diesel oil intended for engines not equipped with Diesel particulate filters. The next highest ranked Diesel oil only ranks a very unimpressive 54th out of the 118 oils I’ve tested so far. So, this 5W30 Amsoil Series 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil is in a class of its own, among all the Diesel oils I have tested.

zinc = TBD

phos = TBD

moly = TBD

No ACEA C2/C3??? The Subaru diesel requests at least the ACEA C2 spec.

453747.png

T6 is acea e9

The E-series spec is a different thing than the C-series.

E-series spec is for diesel engines with particulate filter and with Selective Catalyst Reagent (Urea) which are found on big rigs.

C-series spec is for engines with particulate filter and Three-way catalyst which are found on passenger cars and other smaller vehicles where local high temperatures occurs.

See more:

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files/2010_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf

453747.png

I just did an oil change and used the Valvoline NextGen Synthetic 5W-30. I'll get a UOA at the end of the 3750 and keep an eye on consumption. Tried it because it was on sale for $20 with a K&N filter at Advance.

I also got some Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 to try next.

Rotella T6 is still my summer go-to.

To add; My OC cost under $100, ( 7qt. of 0w-30 Amsoil SSO, 2 Ea oil filter, EAO26-EA, EABP90-EA). But I usually add 2-4 qts. over my 15k-17k OCI. Which puts my cost between $114-$129 over my 15k OCI.

Now divide that cost by 4 ( # of OCI if I did OEM OCI(3750) over 15k) Works out to $25-$32 per OEM OCI.

All I can say,^^this^^ been working for avg. 15k OCI for almost 200k:cool:

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• Mega Users
The E-series spec is a different thing than the C-series.

E-series spec is for diesel engines with particulate filter and with Selective Catalyst Reagent (Urea) which are found on big rigs.

C-series spec is for engines with particulate filter and Three-way catalyst which are found on passenger cars and other smaller vehicles where local high temperatures occurs.

See more:

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files/2010_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf

They don't care about the tiny market of small diesels. They make their money from trucks, so there is no reaeon for them to get a c2/3 spec.

Isn't the main difference nice between the c and e spec relating to emissions systems?

They don't care about the tiny market of small diesels. They make their money from trucks, so there is no reaeon for them to get a c2/3 spec.

Isn't the main difference nice between the c and e spec relating to emissions systems?

And the difference is also ability to withstand local high temps. So you can have an E9 oil in a car that fails due to coke forming in a sensitive spot because it doesn't conform to C2.

453747.png

To add; My OC cost under $100, ( 7qt. of 0w-30 Amsoil SSO, 2 Ea oil filter, EAO26-EA, EABP90-EA). But I usually add 2-4 qts. over my 15k-17k OCI. Which puts my cost between $114-$129 over my 15k OCI.

Now divide that cost by 4 ( # of OCI if I did OEM OCI(3750) over 15k) Works out to $25-$32 per OEM OCI.

All I can say,^^this^^ been working for avg. 15k OCI for almost 200k:cool:

I don't understand. You use two oil filters? When you say you usually add 2-4 quarts, is that on top of the 7quarts you say initially or the ~5qt needed for the first fill?

Please explain.

I don't understand. You use two oil filters? When you say you usually add 2-4 quarts, is that on top of the 7quarts you say initially or the ~5qt needed for the first fill?

Please explain.

The Dual By-Pass Filtration System add 2qt. to your 5qt.OEM oil system, 2+5=7qts. My LGT uses 2-4 additional qts. of my 15-17k OCI.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/get-your-oil-filtration-down-2-microns-81741.html

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 3 weeks later...

Rotella T6 on sale at Amazon.com for $18.36 with free shipping. Go to coupons, search Automotive and you'll see the Rotella one. Then you go to this page for the $5 rebate from Shell, so $13.36 for a gallon of Rotella.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006A49TAM/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=automotive]Shell Rotella T6 gallon on Amazon[/ame]

$5 rebate per gallon.

The deal is not better with the case of 3 and the subscribe and save, because the rebate is limited to 2 per household.