LegacyGT.com

Check Engine light after intake/DP install on stock tune - please help

Hey everyone. First of, I have 08 LGT 5eat with Cobb catless downpipe and Friend of mine told me not to install the intake before I buy the AP, but just decided to install the Cobb Sf intake since it's been laying around for months collecting dust.. However I was wondering if you guys can give me any suggestions on what to do next, What I should consider doing next.. Because it's my first car and first time doing anything with A car.... I need some guidance. Your help would be deeply appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

You need a tune with that intake and downpipe yesterday. If you are going to buy an AP get it now and have it overnight shipped and DO NOT drive your car until you have the AP and have flashed the stage 2 with sf intake map.

Also Cobb does not make a catless downpipe so you must have a cobb high flow catted or you have another brand downpipe.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Thanks again for the replies guys!

But... Aww f....After I installed the intake last night, I've been driving it around and I have to take the car out tomorrow! BTw, speaking of DP... the previous owner had the Cobb DP installed and told me it was catted. However after I brought it back home, the check engine light went on. And all the mechanics that i had visited in the past, told me there was no cat. So I figured I have catless DP. Then, the last mechanic I went to stated under description that the "module software corrupted" and "found DP improperly constructed 02 sensor bung in wrong place, cut out "Cat" and bung and invert to correct problem." I asked him so do I have a cat or not and he said no..... I'm confused.. After driving 70miles or so, the check engine light came back on.

Post some pictures of your exhaust and we will be able to tell if you have a cobb downpipe and if it has had the cat deleted or not.

It would be in your best interest to at least put the stock intake back on and do your best to stay out of boost while driving if this is your only car.

Where are you located? You haven't filled out your profile entirely but if you are local to some other members they may be able to help you out with some open source tuning rather than accessport tuning while you wait for an accessport to ship and arrive to you. I know cryotune offers the accessport with a custom tune for your car for a very reasonable price as well as other vendors/tuners on this forum.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

The cat in Cobb DP's is in the lower section I believe.

Not sure what I am listening for in the video you posted :iam:

I think he has the key on the accessory position, and the noise is that electrical humming. My car doesn't sound like that, but it's also hard to tell from a cell phone video since those microphones aren't that great.

Yes, I would recommend locating a stock intake and using an OEM style filter. You can use the intake, but you would need to source a custom tune @ $200+. Do some searching on this forum, intakes and tuning have been discussed many times before. This is not the type of car you can just throw parts at, do some reading.

Stock means stock. Otherwise you need to take the car to a tuner and have an appropriate tune done. Listen to the advice given, your motor will fail, and soon. Cobb DID in fact make a catless downpipe, you could have a very old catless one, you'd need to climb under the car and check.

Regardless, you need a tune for that car, or your motor is done. Every time you drive it like this you're playing russian roulette, except you've only got 4 cylinders.

From that link you provided

" For your convenience, the SF Intake system is compatible with The Cobb Stage 1 and Cobb Stage 2 OTS (off the shelf mapping) provided with the Cobb AccessPORT ECU device."

You have to buy an Accessport to use their tune and as powerpro stated earlier the ots map they provide is not for your model year.

Bottom line - that intake requires a custom tune.

Go stock....

I'll only be repeating like a broken record... but you really should just return the cobb intake, and get a stock intake. even if you do get tuned for the intake, you aren't gaining anything but a little extra noise. Thats fine if thats what you want, just don't expect that to add any real power. The stock intake system on the car is actually pretty good and not the first bottleneck you will run in to.

A custom tune will be worth the investment after you get the cobb AP.

Thanks guys for all the advices. I went ahead and bought the AP and received it last night. And have decided to stick with stock intake. If you guys can post some links for the website where I can buy the stock intake, that'd be greattt

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/member-classifieds-2005-2009-30.html

Archived