LegacyGT.com

How about JDM Spec B Springs and USDM Struts w/Koni inserts

rexster

I've been reading lots of threads about wagon setups. I'm looking for something that is better than stock, not harsh, and only lowers a little. From what I've read I think pairing the (soon to be released) Koni inserts with JDM Spec B (GT-B) springs (not the pinks) with USMD struts and Koni inserts (& USDM top hats) would be a great setup. The front would be lowered about 1/2 inch due to slightly shorter JDM springs, the rear would have a slight drop (maybe 1/8 inch). The best part is the non-pink springs are cheaper, they'll be free anyway with some suby bucks. So, for the price of Koni inserts this should be a decent wagon setup that won't sacrifice ride quality and should allow for hauling stuff. It would be very similar to running JDM Spec B Bilsteins except it will be a little lower up front, it will cost less, and it will add some adjustability.

What do the experts think?

:iam: how can anyone respond when the koni's are still vaporware?

because a member has a prototype set mounted and is quite please with them.

I feel the JDM Spec B springs are a bit firm (as did Japanese buyers) - you'd have to do Rev. B or later to make this work properly.

I feel the JDM Spec B springs are a bit firm (as did Japanese buyers) - you'd have to do Rev. B or later to make this work properly.

I'll have this setup around the end of the year (JDM specB pinks + JDM specB Rev.C Bilsteins). Unclemat has a similar setup... perhaps different springs, but he has Rev.B Bilsteins.

I'll do a full write-up after the install.

Hopefully I will search no more after this! :)

I sort of wish that we could buy a proper sport suspension, STi or otherwise, at the dealer. They have suspension upgrades for the WRX, but not the Legacy. :(

so one guy tested them on his car without the specB springs. how can you comment on the setup? it's pure speculation. no one even knows when the inserts will be available.

because a member has a prototype set mounted and is quite please with them.

That's one of my concerns. Does anyone know the spring rates for the various GT springs (stock US, JDM GT, JDM GT-B)? I've tried searching and found all kinds conflicting information but wasn't able to find anything conclusive. If I can get the spring rates, maybe I can get an opinion from Koni once the inserts are out. Plus I know the GT Konis are going to be similar to the impreza ones and I know of several springs (along with their rates) that work well with the konis on the impreza.

JDM SpecB Bilsteins Rev. B with SpecB Pinks are great. Sure on the aggresive side, but nowhere uncomfortable. You must be a wimp to not like setup like this. My wife/kids don't complain. Actually my wife likes the setup better than JDM GT I had before.

Pinks are 222/336 lbs/inch front/rear (about 4/6 kg/mm). AFAIK (may not be reliable info) JDM SpecB OEM springs have same rates.

As far as harshness of JDM SpecB Rev.A goes - it's the dampers, not springs AFAIK.

Archived