LegacyGT.com

Caliper Paint Dry-time

jc51373

what does the directions say for the paint drying?

Me no have the paint yet. :icon_bigg

Oooops. Yeah I will do that when I get the kit.

I was just asking in the general sense...I think all day is good advice too. Just trying to cram it in all at once I guess.

Here it is....Sorry guys.

Paint requires 2 hours curing time before reinstalling wheels. Do not use the vehicle for 24 hours to allow the paint to fully harden. Plan application accordingly.

Good thing is it is brush on application, so should be able to do it myself at home and let it sit overnight. Gotta get me some jack stands and get rr done.

I did mine at night so I didn't have any reason to take the car out. I have a friend who did his in the morning and then went driving right away. Nothing happened to his, so I guess the heat from the calipers cured them. It was probably an hour after we did the last caliper before he drove anywhere, so maybe the type of paint he used cured faster.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I did mine at night so I didn't have any reason to take the car out. I have a friend who did his in the morning and then went driving right away. Nothing happened to his, so I guess the heat from the calipers cured them. It was probably an hour after we did the last caliper before he drove anywhere, so maybe the type of paint he used cured faster.

Getting the Tirerack paint kit, only $38. Thats a cheap as hell mod if you ask me. Read my comments on the stencil on the thread with the pics of your calipers. They look sick BTW. ;)

High Temp Engine Paint @ $5 > Tirerack paint @ $38

Particularly if you are doing black I don't see where there is going to be a difference. If you were doing red or any color other than black then I would say go for it. Red engine paint turns orange after a couple months. Black stays black forever though. You can't go wrong there.

I'd stencil mine, but that would defeat the whole purpose of making my calipers sort of disapear into the darkness. ;) Besides, I couldn't go putting 'Subaru' on the caliper after I've worked so hard removing that word from everything else on my car, now could I? :D

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'd stencil mine, but that would defeat the whole purpose of making my calipers sort of disapear into the darkness. ;) Besides, I couldn't go putting 'Subaru' on the caliper after I've worked so hard removing that word from everything else on my car, now could I? :D

true, very true...

Painted a few sets in the past.....for the $$ the best out there right now is high temp header paint with ceramic....it can be purchased @ Walmart 4.98 per can. Since the calipers are removed from the car after the first coat cure them for a few minutes **for the Ceramic coat**in the oven @ I think 350* (gives directions on can) wait about an 1.5 hr & Re-apply.

The biggest mistake made is in the Prep of the caliper...make sure it is very clean & use a fine grit paper to sand all painted surfaces. Then allow to wash & dry before you apply the first coat.

To apply it correctly is takes a good 4-5hrs including your prep time.

I have seen alot of Caliper paint kits that look like A$$ after 6 mo. But isf the prep work is done properly the kits will work fine.

By the way....it only takes 1 can of the Header paint:)

Only downside.....one choice of color.... black!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

The Paint System you got from Tire Rack (G2 I think) is the best out there right now, before stepping into high dollar Paints/powder coats. It lasts longer and just plain looks better than any of the other paints I have tried on my, or my friends cars, including the header paint and high temp engine paint...

Ted

:spin:

It is a good product....just a little pricey when compared to a few alternatives. If your going for a color other than black it's def....the way to go.

Here are a few pics of mine taken this morning...it's raining pretty good here:(

Calipers1.jpg.6a320889fc37fa0517cf7b2e93d2d1d1.jpg

calipers2.jpg.6a466a80320ad4e601da4d8dfa58a262.jpg

calipers3.jpg.b5d881df1e15634de741b98a19af1dd1.jpg

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

That looks nice Wukindada...I am thinking I will use a heat gun to cure it nicely, since I am not removing the calipers.

What I want to know is if this kit comes with a nice clear coat for a final touch. I figure a few nice coats of clear once it dries will keep it looking nice, and also lock down any stenciling I do for lettering.

Still gotta figure the stencil part out though.

I agree G2 is very good but expensive. It goes on thick and looks bad but after it dries and sets it looks amazing!!

I let mine dry overnight on hooks I made out of old hangers. I didn't touch it for hours because I didn't want to get my fingerprints on the caliper :lol:

I agree G2 is very good but expensive. It goes on thick and looks bad but after it dries and sets it looks amazing!!

I let mine dry overnight on hooks I made out of old hangers. I didn't touch it for hours because I didn't want to get my fingerprints on the caliper :lol:

Am I the only one who does consider $38 bucks for a mod like this in expensive?

So you removed your calipers to paint them? I thought you didn't have to remove.

Problem is, I am not doing the lines and pads and bleed. My buddy who is a former Lexus tech gone real estate broker, so he is doing it as a side job for me. So I don't want to hold him up with dry times etc.

I gotta do the paint myself and don't have any idea how to remove calipers. So I will just take my time and do it real nice-like.

It's a cheap mod, but expensive for paint. Considering the amount you are getting it is about ten times more expensive than high temp engine paint. Like I said, if you are getting red or blue or silver then there is probably value there, but for black I just don't see it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

It's a cheap mod, but expensive for paint. Considering the amount you are getting it is about ten times more expensive than high temp engine paint. Like I said, if you are getting red or blue or silver then there is probably value there, but for black I just don't see it.

Yeah but does the paint your speaking of have any gloss to it? I want to make it a little glossy, even if I have to get some clear to put over it.

Yup. High gloss and high temp. If you want more gloss then you can always use some clear coat, but I haven't had any problem with mine not being glossy.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/wheel.gif

OCDETAILS BLOG

If you end up using the cheaper Duplicolor stuff, they dry pretty fast (mine dried in like 10-20 minutes... but it was a windy day ;) ). Having said that, even though they're "dry", they still haven't cured yet, so they're a tad soft - something to consider if you're going to apply any decals relatively soon after drying.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

• 3 weeks later...

Archived