LegacyGT.com

Cheap yet Solid Aftermarket GPS??

Hey ..

Does anybody know what the best aftermarket GPS systems are

I do not want to spend too much money, and i do not need anything beyond the basics ... just want something that will get me where i want to go, and is maybe decent looking and not too bulky

there seem to be some good black friday deals on some of these, and i was wondering if anyone has any experience with ...

magellan roadmate 1200 or 1212

tom tom one 125

mio moov 300

garmin nuvi 205

thanks for the help

Magellan is not very good, i used to have one. you need one with at least 2 million POI (points of interest), the more the better

garmin is a good brand, but you have to pay for updates now. there is also websites for you to load red light cam, speed trap, more POI - http://www.gps-data-team.com/

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

i've had a tomtom for over 2 years and i love it. my father got a garmin last year for xmas and even though its a newer model with more features and a bigger lcd screen i like the tomtoms menu layout and display much better. the navi feature on my verizon voyager doesn't compare to th tomtom either.

Hey ..

Does anybody know what the best aftermarket GPS systems are

I do not want to spend too much money, and i do not need anything beyond the basics ... just want something that will get me where i want to go, and is maybe decent looking and not too bulky

there seem to be some good black friday deals on some of these, and i was wondering if anyone has any experience with ...

magellan roadmate 1200 or 1212

tom tom one 125

mio moov 300

garmin nuvi 205

thanks for the help

What is your budget?

Do you mind mounting to the windshield with a suction cup, or would you want something different?

Is it important that the GPS support "Text to speech?" In other words, it will say, "Turn right on Main Street in .2 miles," Instead of just "Turn right in 0.2 miles" and :Main Street" would be displayed on the screen? Only important if you drive in metro areas where they might be two or three right turns or multiple exits.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

But seriously, I also was thinking of putting in gps too, but I'd like it to be a navi/mp3 unit, to replace my stock am/fm/cd. Something like that: http://www.slipperybrick.com/2008/04/pioneer-annouces-way-cool-in-dash-navigation-units/

Price bites though.. not sure I can handle that right now..

edit: actually I'm sure I can't. Perhaps there are more affordable alternatives...

The cast-iron tunnel itself is 370.2 m (1' date='217 feet) long and 15.2 m deep[1'] and has an internal diameter of about 9 feet (3 m). Its cast-iron rings are lined with concrete which has been surfaced with some 200,000 white glazed tiles.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1008/912384017_a18d4467c1.jpg?v=0

:p:p:p

I'm looking to buy one for my mom tomorrow and I've been trying to research, I can't really find a good reason to choose one over the rest. Tom Tom, Garmin and Magellen all seem good to me. I've heard great things about all of them.

I have a Garmin Streetpilot purchased June 2006, have strongly recommended Garmin to everyone I know. One of the best purchases I have ever made. I need to update the maps; the poor thing thinks the Central Artery still exists.

Avoid Nextar like the plague. My aunt bought one at Kohl's last week. It runs Windows CE, the interface is horrible, confusing and illogical, and we got an illegal-operation crash within the first 15 minutes of use.

I've had and played with all the major brands.

i second the stay away from Magellan. My mom has one, it talks... about all i can say good about it.

I would suggest only looking at Garmin and TomTom. both are very good.

some will say go one route, others say go with the other brand...

find your budget, find the Garmin and TomTom that are in that budget, PLAY with both. you decide. Either of the two you will not go wrong with, it's more personal taste with them anymore.

Strictly on road, a little off road trips, either will be fine. (off road meaning some dirt roads off of major roads... not the back woods of nowhere-ville. No on road GPS will be good there)

I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 and can't complain one bit! If I were buying today I'd probably opt for a bigger widescreen model like the Nuvi 265 WT, it includes FM traffic and a bluetooth speaker phone: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13430

We have the 360, 500, 660, 760, and some other small and wide screen models with and without bluetooth. Also have the Zumo 550 on my bike. Most of us have bagged the bluetooth function in lieu of bluetooth headsets, and they won't connect to both. So the cheaper models are OK, but the "text to speech" OTOH is pretty important if you drive a lot in metro areas.

We find the FM traffic updates to lag way behind the 511 info available via cell here and many other states. So we've never bought the subscription. Strangely, my 760 subscription expired, then started working again recently, so at the moment I have both again.

Nuvi 205 is $129.99 and 205W is $149.99 at OfficeMax this weekend if you just want basic functionality,which is way better than no GPS.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived