LegacyGT.com

VF40 Blew Up. What turbo should I get?

What damage did the blown turbo do to your engine ?

Have you read some of the blown turbo threads here and know what to do before you bolt on a new turbo ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What damage did the blown turbo do to your engine ?

Have you read some of the blown turbo threads here and know what to do before you bolt on a new turbo ?

I'm taking it to a friends shop. He said he would check it out for me. Mentioned something about a leak down test.

I believe in order to get the most out a 20g there would be other upgrades necessary...at minimal fuel pump and injectors...not sure what would be required but I've always done those on any vehicle when I swap the turbo.

Yeah I was thinking a dw65c fuel pump,740cc inj, Perrin Top Mount and an UP, Catless DP.

850's may be a safer bet.

zip tie all the vacuum lines.

Did the turbo blow and send metal into the oil system ?

That's the real issue here, you need to know the oil system and oil cooler are free of metal chips.

Unless you know what blew, don't start the the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

850's may be a safer bet.

zip tie all the vacuum lines.

Did the turbo blow and send metal into the oil system ?

That's the real issue here, you need to know the oil system and oil cooler are free of metal chips.

Unless you know what blew, don't start the the engine.

All the work is being done at a professional shop, they will get the car tomorrow and go from there. I hope there is no metal in the oil or engine.

^ Never hurts to mention info to them. Especially info you get on here. Our member base is extremely knowledgeable about these cars (others I mean, not me). There are dozens of threads on here about folks that have lost turbos, replaced them, and then blown the engine within 5000 miles cause there were metal shavings in the oil. Even dealerships screw this part up (Look, here's one that's happening right now ... http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-gt-turbo-issues-204135.html?t=204135). We don't doubt your buddy's expertise ... but tell him to double check the oil for metal shavings by dropping the pan. Seriously. ;)

As you mentioned, you do need to do something about your intercooler. However, you don't necessarily need to buy an upgrade. You can probably bulletproof your stock tmic and call it good enough if you want to run the vf52. If you get the 20G, I might consider an upgraded tmic at that point ... and it's not wrong to get one for the 52, either; but bulletproof is cheapest. Seek out BarManBean for the tmic bulletproof mod.

Welcome to LGT.com! Enjoy.

^ Never hurts to mention info to them. Especially info you get on here. Our member base is extremely knowledgeable about these cars (others I mean, not me). There are dozens of threads on here about folks that have lost turbos, replaced them, and then blown the engine within 5000 miles cause there were metal shavings in the oil. Even dealerships screw this part up (Look, here's one that's happening right now ... http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-gt-turbo-issues-204135.html?t=204135). We don't doubt your buddy's expertise ... but tell him to double check the oil for metal shavings by dropping the pan. Seriously. ;)

As you mentioned, you do need to do something about your intercooler. However, you don't necessarily need to buy an upgrade. You can probably bulletproof your stock tmic and call it good enough if you want to run the vf52. If you get the 20G, I might consider an upgraded tmic at that point ... and it's not wrong to get one for the 52, either; but bulletproof is cheapest. Seek out BarManBean for the tmic bulletproof mod.

Welcome to LGT.com! Enjoy.

Thanks for the info, I will pass it along.

I was in the same dilemma between an 18g or a VF52. However for some reason I was dead set on a vf52 for OEM fitment.

In hindsight, 16g/18g are much cheaper and rebuild-able. And deliver the same amount of power comparable to a vf52. Just be sure to have good oil change habits. Turbos love oil.

Flatirons $1800 + shipping...best I've seen this far...if you fin a better deal please share!! :)

Thanks for the info, what kind of HP can the EJ257 STI block handle reliably for a daily driver?

I would like to be in the 300 to 320 range.

Thanks for the info, what kind of HP can the EJ257 STI block handle reliably for a daily driver?

I would like to be in the 300 to 320 range.

Depends on your supporting MOD's.

Mine's on stock fueling, #'s or on a mustang dyno (known to read low) the car feels more like 300whp.

Make sure you use a great Tuner, he can make the pistons last. I use http://www.tuningalliance.com

Mike knows what's he's doing. (hint hint)

You can tell him I sent you.

You'll also need a gasket set for your year car, hint, the set in not complete. You'll need the half moons for the valve covers.

Have you seen my thread, on my ej257 ?

Depends on your supporting MOD's.

Mine's on stock fueling, #'s or on a mustang dyno (known to read low) the car feels more like 300whp.

Make sure you use a great Tuner, he can make the pistons last. I use http://www.tuningalliance.com

Mike knows what's he's doing. (hint hint)

You can tell him I sent you.

You'll also need a gasket set for your year car, hint, the set in not complete. You'll need the half moons for the valve covers.

Have you seen my thread, on my ej257 ?

Could you post a link to your thread.

One thing I'm concerned about if I go the EJ257 rout is that this whole mess could happen again. Is the EJ257 more reliable? Since I'm going with a different turbo are my chances better? I know the 2005 model year had a lot of problems.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

When it comes time to get the engine tuned, I highly recommend my Tuner, Mike Kinsman, http://www.tuningalliance.com

Archived