LegacyGT.com

Wagon Moonroof Shade - Disable Auto-close?

Heytiggr

I am loving my car and just about everything about it. One thing that is irritating me though is Subaru has made a decision for me regarding when I want my moonroof shade to close. As you may know, if you open the sunroof as far as the shade is open, when you close the moonroof, the shade is pulled closed along with it.

Does anyone know where the catch is that hooks them together and how to cleanly make it go away? My shade stays closed when I want it closed or even partially open/closed. I don't have any of those type of problems I have seen described on the forums. I just want to be the one that decides when I close the shade. I don't need my car doing it for me just becasue i opened the glass as far as the shade.

Thanks.

Well, when you are tall with long arms like me, it's not a tough reach. Besides they have it so even if I don't open the shade all the way, if I open the glass to where the shade is, it pulls the shade closed when I close the glass. Then I have to wait for it to be all the way closed before I can slide the shade back open again.

There has to be a way to disable or disconnect that!

I think Bimmer has the answer... I sure if you search through subarus tech sight for a replacement shade, it will have downloadable instructions on how to remove the shade. From there just figure out how the latch works and disable it.

Most likely it's something simple like a spring loaded catch that allows it to push the shade all the back also, but then latches and pulls it closed too. You could do a little preliminary check first.... can you for example put the roof ALLLL the way back, close it partially and then slide the shade back again, if not I'm guessing the latch releases on full close.

Go for it.... I don't have an OB but I LOVE your moonroofs!!! I borrowed one one day from the dealer and thought it was HUGE... of course this problem would annoy me too ;)

• 4 months later...

There are two arms - one on each track - that grab the shade when opening and closing the moonroof. I found this out because one of my arms broke (no idea how). But with even just one arm disconnected, so to speak, I had full control of the shade. I loved it. So much better. Of course the arm rattled like hell in the track when driving so I had it fixed and am back to hating the fact the shade closes with the glass.

Also another PIMA is the fact that when the glass is opening, the shade overlaps the glass by about 1-1.5" - meaning the shade is exposed to the elements by being 1-1.5" closer to the windshield than the leading edge of the glass. What the hell?

I would also like to be able to determine how much I open/close the moonroof, as opposed to predetermined «stops» from the factory.

Oh, and my shade closes itself 3-4 inches upon hard braking.

Archived