LegacyGT.com

BMW Performance Driving School

PutnamCO

I went to the two day BMW driving school last year at HPR, and had an awesome time. You will not find a better deal on a performance driving school, and it's a great place to hone your driving skills. There are 5 (I think) track sessions per day, and the same number of classroom sessions. It's 5/19-5/20 this year.

Having also gone to a Skip Barber school, the instructors at the BMW school are excellent, and it costs $365 for two days versus at least $1500/day for Skip Barber, Bondurant, etc.

You do not need to own a BMW, nor do you need to be a member of the BMW club, although you pay slightly more if you're not. I'm registered this year, and it would be fun to get some other LGTs out there. Registration fills up quickly.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/2873953B-E845-8BE9-8B543272C4D63B1D

Putnam,

Hey man thanks for the heads-up, and your timing is perfect...since I just bought a M3 a couple weeks ago! :D I've been wanting to go to a driving workshop like this for a while now, so this fits the bill perfectly. And the price is right.

Scott

It's a 2002 with SMG, replacing my 1991 300zx twin turbo...although I think I might have to keep that for just one more summer :) Anyways I'm very happy with it so far, and can't wait to get it out on the track....

http://skwiggly.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2269&g2_serialNumber=3

It's a 2002 with SMG, replacing my 1991 300zx twin turbo...although I think I might have to keep that for just one more summer :) Anyways I'm very happy with it so far, and can't wait to get it out on the track....

http://skwiggly.com/photos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2269&g2_serialNumber=3

Prime candidate for an LSx swap. Beautiful car.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

SMG. Still getting used to it, it's my first flappy-paddle experience. The sensation of revving to 8000 rpm and shifting without lifting off the throttle is...awesome :D

So hey Putnam when you did the driving school last year, did you do one or two days? I signed up for both days, wondering what the additional day entails...other than getting more track time.

Both days are pretty much the same, but I found it very helpful to have a few different instructors between the two days. That way, you'll definitely find someone who can give you good pointers that the other instructor(s) may not have given you.

Get some good brake pads, a couple extra 5 gallon fuel tanks, and you should be set. What tires are you running?

Cool, good to know; I wasn't sure whether the 2nd day specifically built on the 1st, or if it was just more of the same...which is fine by me.

When I bought the car, it had just had new pads put on, not sure of what brand, but I've used Hawk HPS before, so I might just go ahead and swap. Tires were also replaced, they are Potenza RE760s. No experience with them, but they're ranked #4 in their group on TireRack.

Doesn't High Plains have their own gas pump?

The Re760's should be good at the track. I would not run Hawks though. I use Carbotech XP10 or 12's, and would highly recommend them. You might want to ask the BMW guys on the Rocky Mountain BMW Club what they use for pads. They have pumps at the track, but as I remember, it was a couple dollars more per gallon than other stations.

They only sell race fuel at the track... At $7+ a gallon! Bring at least 10 gallons with you - I go through a full tank plus 10 gallons in just a half day (with just enough to get back to the station)... Of course that is on E85 which goes quickly (although I'm guessing the M3 is on par for fuel economy at the track ;-)

Archived