LegacyGT.com

Ticking noise coming when clutch is out

The car has 104k miles, 07 Outback 2.5i. I got the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing replaced at 85k for about $860 because the throw out bearing was going.

Cut to 104k miles, the replacement clutch has never had the same feel as factory, it shutters mostly in 1st gear if you don't use precision foot movement to let the clutch out.

In the past 5k miles, something has developed a ticking noise that is more of a constant high speed "squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak" when the clutch is out. I can put very minimal pressure on the clutch with my foot, the noise gets gets faster until it goes away at about a half inch in. It also reacts to engine, so if I rev the engine to 2k RPM the squeaking gets faster. The car could be in neutral or any gear and it could be stopped or moving, so it's pretty consistent.

If I had to guess I would say the pressure plate was never right in the first place and likely a rebuilt unit? (sounds like TO contact with the clutch cover splines) I have leased a wagon that never had the clutch right (New, from Subaru) and they even replaced the entire car... and it was the same...Shudder on takeup, noisy and weak as heck on the old 2.5 non-turbo GT wagon.

I hope you can re-contact whomever did the clutch for you some 19k miles ago (unless you did it yourself..?)

There's only one thing worse than doing your own clutch (without the benefit of a lift) and that's doing it the second time, finding out (like I did on one of my old BMW's in high school) afterward that the pressure plate I had purchased (and installed myself) was faulty from the get-go.

I can sure feel your pain... :D

Cheers!

Sounds like the clutch spring bearing. Makes a ticking/rattling noise, but goes away when the clutch is depressed, right? I had the same happen to my lgt while under warranty. Had to drop the tranny just to get to that part. Took about 5hrs labor at the dealership. Won't hurt to drive on it, but the noise gets annoying as hell. Hope this isn't the same case for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

My 05 Legacy Wagon is making that exact sound--trying to decide what to do about it. I have heard "throw-out bearing" but I'm told that the sound would not be constant like that that. Something loose or mis-aligned with the pressure plate makes more sense.

In either case, it sounds like the transmission's gotta be dropped and that is not going to be cheap or easy. Anyone have any experience with getting this kind of thing fixed?

Archived