LegacyGT.com

Exhaust system for 2005 2.5i?

I recently purchased a 2005 legacy 2.5i. I really enjoy this car, but it would be nice to have a little more sound from the exhaust. Does any company make bolt on performance mufflers or a cat-back exhaust for the 2.5i? Are any in development? Will mufflers designed for the GT work? I am not too concerned with horsepower gains as they will be minimal at best. Any suggestions on how to improve the sound of my car will be appreciated. Thanks.

So if I buy the borla exhaust for the GT it should fit no problem? My only question then, what is the size of the tubing on the GT exhausts? Will it be overkill on a NA 2.5L engine?

Although I don't know the specific mod path of the 05 Legacy 2.5i engine, I'm assuming that you can mod the hell out of it. This is essentially the same engine that the GC Impreza RS had when it first came to the US. There are tons of people that have squeezed every last drop out of that engine.

Intake, headers...etc. Engine management...dunno?

• 1 month later...
I recently purchased a 2005 legacy 2.5i. I really enjoy this car, but it would be nice to have a little more sound from the exhaust. Does any company make bolt on performance mufflers or a cat-back exhaust for the 2.5i? Are any in development? Will mufflers designed for the GT work? I am not too concerned with horsepower gains as they will be minimal at best. Any suggestions on how to improve the sound of my car will be appreciated. Thanks.

No, the GT cat backs offered by Borla and the rest will not fit the N/A. Pipe sizing is different for starters as are some of the bends. I went through this ordeal with the current shop who is providing me with headers and a hi-flow cat. http://www.xcceleration.com/index.htm

Cat backs for N/A Legacys are under development by Stromung thus far. I will keep you posted because I am waiting my self for them to be released.

I've heard horrible things about them over on NASIOC...

Well, I am going to find out soon because I ordered the parts over a month ago now and I am still waiting for them to come in and set up an install appointment. The good things I can say about them thus far is the guy I am dealing with ALWAYS returns my email and I can always get him on the phone. What I did not like is the fact they charged my credit card already. I can see a deposit but the full amount is not good business.......I am hoping the headers and hi-flow cat are of good quality and I get at least 20 hp from it......

Thanks for the updates guys. I am anxiously awaiting a cat-back exhaust system for this car. It is nice to know that people are actually working on it.......I was worried this car was going to be orphaned in the aftermarket parts department because of its bigger brother the GT. Please keep us posted on the development of these products.

• 2 months later...
make sure you get a resonator. I experimented with a GT catback by Random Tech and the resonance was pretty bad.....good luck!
Going custom catback is not ghetto at all. Unless a good twin tip alternative comes out, this will prolly be the way I go also.:) Details on mufflers, tips, piping, etc?

just went to Michael's Brakes and Mufflers in South San Jose today. i paid $400 for the custom exhaust system installed. he installed 2 generic 'import' stainless steel mufflers with 2" custom piping from the stock resonator back. it sounds pretty nice. just gotta dynamat the rest of my trunk tommorow to keep the cabin noise a lil lower for my parents when the ride with me. i'll post a vid tommorow after work.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

how does it sound? similar to the GT guys on here or no? and dont forget pics from all angles! :D Sounds like a decent price too, but I'll wait to make the final call till I see the fitment and how the exhaust hangers were put on... but good job man, I think you're the first 2.5i w/ an exhaust on here. :)

The one thing that bothers me is I don't want my Leg all Loud and shit. A nice rumble would be fine but this is a big body car that happens to perform nicely. any thoughts on what mufflers would achieve this?? Universal or otherwise??

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

from wat i can tell so far... i need to dynamat my trunk big time. it creates a nice rumble... but at 4k rpm its getting a bit loud for comfort. i gotta find a silencer as well... the guy from the shop said that its illegal for him to sell the silencers now cuz of wat people have been doing with them. something about turning them into high pitched whistles or some sort of thing like that... but ya i'll have the video as soon as i get someone to floor it while i'm recording the vid. but i'll have pics up soon.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

Archived