LegacyGT.com

Recommendations for a good but cheap tire

TrueWhiteBoy

For someone who lives in socal, id get a summer tire not an all-season tire.

kumho ecsta XS for awsome super sticky and cheap tires. they are extreme performance summer tires, and are 150 or less per tire.

ASX which are all-seasons are great too is you drive in to snowy areas, but if not, all-season tires are an unnecessary compromise.

The General Exclaim UHPs look pretty good, seem to have similar ratings as the BFGoodrich G-Force series as well for $10-30 less.

Are there any good tire shops that offer a similar warranty and installation pricing as Costco's?

I have the Exclaims on my WRX. It is a good tire for the price. It is a summer tire, but because it has an aggressive tread it is labeled with M&S. It is a summer tire though and should not be used in the winter which is not a concern to you in SoCal. I am going to take mine off and put my winter wheels on this weekend, but having driven on teh Exclaims since April or May they are a good daily driver tire and do well in the rain.

Get some of the cheap Dunlap's I had mine on for 4 Summers and they good overall. Appox. $104.00 each. Must of had them on for about 50,000.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

General Exclaim UHP. /thread

100% the tire that you should buy for a summer tire... my friend has pilot sport 2's on his 350z I have UHP's on my Z his tires are about 3 times the price of my uhp's and there is very little imporvement.

Oh, forgot to mention it really doesn't rain all that often here so I don't really need any winter tires.

It's usually sunny, but I would like something competent in the rain should it occur :)

LOL, rain and winter i wish:rolleyes: ive always had good luck with kumho tires they have held up well. right now im scating around on the stockers and it snowed 5in today. kinda slick makes for fun on ramps and offrams;)

good luck with your tires and once you get some let us know how you like them....

I've found General Exclaim UHP to have inconsistent dry grip, compared to other summer tires. Excellent in the wet, though. FWIW, they're on the Miata.

Also, I don't think they'll wear very long, and I expect the OP wants long tread life, given he kept the RE92A's so long.

So I'll suggest the Goodrich Traction T/A. We almost got them instead of the GY TripleTred, but decided the TT's were worth the extra ice capability.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

For my summer tires, I just finished a season with the General Exclaim UHP; 225/45R17's. The two previous summers I ran Kumho Ecsta SPT's in the same size. Both inexpensive performance tires. In the dry, I'd give the edge to the Kumhos; in the wet to the Exclaims. The Kumhos wore poorly; wear experience with the Exclaim's looks better so far. I typically run them at 35 psi all the way around.

Something just occurred to me. I may want to day this up to the mountains for a 1 to 2 day trip on occassion. Will these summer tires be alright in light snow or would I be advised to throw some chains on them?

Also for an AWD car, where do you put the chains?

I expect the OP wants long tread life, given he kept the RE92A's so long.

So I'll suggest the Goodrich Traction T/A.

That's what I wanted but they stopped making them :( I had to get the "Advantage T/A" which neither performs or looks as cool, but what do you want for $77/tire. They are great all season 'grand touring' tires, i.e. great wet or dry, firm and responsive, corner well, not so hot in more than 1" of snow and less grippy at freezing temps. I used to run BFG TTA's on my RWD cars year round in New England, and loved them. Ah well.

One thing I can say for new ATA's is they do have a high treadwear rating, 560 IIRC. And they were cheap. If it never snows but occasionally rains, you want a decent long lasting tire but you're cheap, I'd recommend them.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, alright, finally got the money saved up to buy a set.

Any recommendations on the best way to acquire and get these installed?

I'm in Southern California

I found a set of these: Falken Ziex ZETire -912 Tire - 215/45R17 91W BSW

Looking to be $345 for the set

a. Is this a good tire?

b. Is this a good price?

+$52 mounting

+$70 alignment

-------

$467.00 (before tax)

It's expected to come with a $30 MIR as well (BING)

Does this seem like a good deal?

Cheap and cheerful for a SoCal climate.

The kumho summer tire. Whatever the Ecsta Supra "new generation" is. Great, sticky tires for cheap.

Don't buy an all season if you never see snow. Summer tires work decently in light rain.

Archived