LegacyGT.com

How often do you need chains in the Sierras?

mwr

I used to ski the Tahoe area a lot, but that was a long time ago and not with all-wheel drive. How often can you go past chain control with our all-wheel drive and all-season tires? How often does the CHP require chains on our all-wheel drive cars with all-season tires?

I've never had a problem goin up there... and I've went through blizzard conditions...and if you have winter tires.. you should be fine...alot of people up there in tahoe know and own subarus becuase their all wheel drive. So we should be fine without chains..

I've never had a problem goin up there... and I've went through blizzard conditions...and if you have winter tires.. you should be fine...alot of people up there in tahoe know and own subarus becuase their all wheel drive. So we should be fine without chains..
Have you been able to go past places where the CHP makes other cars put on chains? Do you have snow tires or all season tires?

Ah, dude, put chains on your Subaru and you void the warranty. Subaru specifically doesn't want you to put chains on the car. Just guessing, but they may not be good for the AWD system. The thinner "cables" might be OK, but...

You don't need them. Chain control just gives us the wave on through.

I've driven our Forester through some of the worst crap thrown at me going to or coming back from Tahoe without a problem. 4x4's were flying off the road, we just drove on past.

AWD FTW!

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

What about the CHP requirement that all cars, even ones that don't have to put on chains in the current conditions, have chains (or equivalent) on board during chain control times (chain control R2)? Chain control R2 requires chains on vehicles except for four-wheel drive and snow tires. But that seems to not be applicable or enforced very often according to these messages.

Ah, dude, put chains on your Subaru and you void the warranty. Subaru specifically doesn't want you to put chains on the car. Just guessing, but they may not be good for the AWD system. The thinner "cables" might be OK, but...

You don't need them. Chain control just gives us the wave on through.

I've driven our Forester through some of the worst crap thrown at me going to or coming back from Tahoe without a problem. 4x4's were flying off the road, we just drove on past.

AWD FTW!

There's also R3 chains required on all vehicles. I've lived here 20 years and been up to tahoe on average 2-3 times a year and only ONCE seen it and that was ages ago.

Usually by that point 80/50 are closed. A few years ago they shut 50 down, then 80, got turned around just outside of truckee, fortunately I've got some friends in South Lake but that was NOT a fun drive.

Chain Requirements

R1: Chains required - snow tread tires (MSS on side of tire) allowed.

R2: Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives with snow tires.

R3: Chains required - all vehicles no exceptions.

R1 and R2 are the most common conditions. The highway is usually closed before an R3 condition is imposed.

Note that usually with R1/R2 you'll get waved in a AWD with AS tires with reasonable tread (even though snows are required). Also I think that you're required to carry chains even in Snows on AWD, that said even though installers are not allowed to sell chains I've bought single chains from them before (lost one on an Acura).

Note that usually with R1/R2 you'll get waved in a AWD with AS tires with reasonable tread (even though snows are required).

The CHP considers the M+S (Mud+Snow) tire rating as a "snow" tire, which I believe most, if not all, all-season tires have. For dedicated snow/winter tires, they'll have this symbol on the tire;

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/tire-icon.jpg

I have Nokian WR tires on my Forester, and keep a pair of chains in the back for looks. ;)

-Mike-

AWD FTW!

I have read a bit into this in the past, living near Seattle, WA and having the ski slops just 45 min away, I would be up there about 8 or 9 times a year. WA has simular laws for chains, almost word for word. But they see subaru and normally wave you on as well. But sometimes you will get a new state officer and they ask if you have chains, so it is a good idea to at least have some in the car. I got away with the wront size because they just wanted to see that you had them :). But Subaru does say that if you must have them, to put them on the front tires and to use the thin cable type and not the link chain becuase of cleariance issues. I would also think that if you did all 4 tires, you would be even easier on the AWD system since it has to work just as hard on all 4 corners. But Subaru doesn't warrant any damage from chains, just like each and every other manfacturer. If they break or you get drive train damage that they can prove that the chains were the cause, then you are sol. But that is extreamly difficult for them to prove. The worst I have seen is a older subie (mid 80's) and the idiot put on link chains on it and it tore out the entire shock when it broke, and to top it off the idiot tried to get subaru to warrant it.

Enough rambling, just my .02 worth.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Have lived here most all my life. Have had three Subaru's spanning more than a quarter million miles. I spent two seasons as a Ski instrutor at Bear Valley back in the massive snow fall years of '95 and '96 (El Nino!). I've never once been stopped at a chain control. +1 See a Subaru -> let them through. If you're a paranoid type, bring a set along for show. But, you never need them with proper tires.

Have lived here most all my life. Have had three Subaru's spanning more than a quarter million miles. I spent two seasons as a Ski instrutor at Bear Valley back in the massive snow fall years of '95 and '96 (El Nino!). I've never once been stopped at a chain control. +1 See a Subaru -> let them through. If you're a paranoid type, bring a set along for show. But, you never need them with proper tires.
Are "proper tires" to the CHP any M+S all season tires?

^ Pretty much, though they aren't gonna stare at your sidewall to look for the little symbol. Mostly, they are just looking for newer tires that aren't bald. Deeper tread, decent tread pattern-> have fun on the slopes sir, have a safe trip.

Where is the ask a CHP any question thread when we need it?

Some places chippy don't even enforce chain control despite Caltrans flipping the signs. I was commuting up to Nevada City when it snowed back in April. Chippy didn't make anyone put on chains despite a lot of cars going sideways on HWY49.

look, if the CHP sees a subaru, they're not going to stop you. They will close a road before they make a 4 wheel drive put on chains. Besides you have to put chains on all four wheels. Subies handle better than any other car in the snow, it's what they're built for!

I'd be suprised if you got a ticket for no chains up here (even though technically you have to carry them). I never do. From what I've heard from my buddies in the CHP, they will shut down the highway if R3 conditions ever happen. So, if the roads are open, a Subaru with no chains should not have a problem. The legal reason for needing the chains, though, is in case you enter the pass in R2 conditions, and they quickly escalate to R3 conditions before you exit the pass.

I've only been stopped twice at chain control twice (stopped as in having to talk to the guys instead of them just waving me through after seeing the Subaru badge). Once was when the guy didn't recognize my car as a Subaru. As soon as I pointed out the badge on my steering wheel, he said "Oh, I didn't realize they released a new style already" and waved me through. The other, was when I had bald RE-92s and the guy told me to get new tires (which I had planned, but didn't do in time).

Has anyone had any trouble with the RE-92's in terms of safety and handling while driving up to tahoe?? I've had no experience with these tires in the snow, so I would like to know if I should go ahead and purchase contiextremes while I can before the boarding season starts.

I had close calls in the past while in a trailblazer with brand new Longtrails, so I'm not feeling so confident with the RE-92's. This car and my previous car came with re-92's stock, and i've found that they hydroplane very easily.

I grew up in the snow, and I've safely driven on summer-only in the snow, so maybe I'm not the best judge of a snow tire, but I've never had a problem with RE92s.

Its all about driving within the limits of the tire. My last three winters were on RE92s, never had an incident. This year will be my first on Falken 512s (all-season). I've also spent a winter on Blizzaks LM22s. All perfectly capable IMO.

RE92 are okay. On slippy conditions, you will slide. I had the car slipping sideways while going straight just from the camber on the road. Just don't drive too fast and defy the laws of physics and you will be fine.

I had RE92s for last winter. They performed surprisingly well for OEM wheels, especially given the ragging they received on this forum. The Bear Valley Ski parking had a steep incline with a sharp left turn. It was covered with packed snow and cars with chains had difficulty going up. I add no problems going up that incline. Gave it a bit of gas and up the car went. The looks on the people in the stuck cars were priceless.

Picture Gallery

I had RE92s for last winter. They performed surprisingly well for OEM wheels, especially given the ragging they received on this forum. The Bear Valley Ski parking had a steep incline with a sharp left turn. It was covered with packed snow and cars with chains had difficulty going up. I add no problems going up that incline. Gave it a bit of gas and up the car went. The looks on the people in the stuck cars were priceless.

You just have to love Subarus in the snow. I lived in Michigan and drove through some seriously bad weather, but driving in the Sierra during a blizzard is a different story. I've driven through crazy snow storms in our Forester up near Tahoe, Truckee and Donner. 4x4's flying off the road and somehow the Forester just plows on through.

Great cars in really bad weather. Can't wait to take our new Forester XT up this year. The turbo should be dandy in the thin air.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Archived