LegacyGT.com

08 LGT e85 build

Like the title says I'm building the car for e85 and throwing on a few other supporting mods.

Currently the car sits at about 162,000 miles. Too many in my opinion but oh well.

Performance Mods:

Invidia Catless DP

Stromung catback

TGV Deletes

K&N Intake

ID1000cc injectors

DW300 Fuel Pump

Grimmspeed EBCS

AVO Turbo Inlet

The TBE has already been on the car for awhile. Plan is to to start tearing the car apart and installing the other mods next week. I'm planning to take pics and update this thread along the way. Car is scheduled to be tuned at TPG Tuning in Pittsburgh on their mustang dyno Oct. 11th.

Wish me luck.

Yes, stock turbo. It's been replaced in the past.

Are you trying to be a dick? Not even gonna hit 300whp.

No, I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm using sarcasm to communicate that the modifications you listed are very inefficient in terms of both cost and synergy. Several of the modifications you listed aren't even necessary unless you're going well above 400whp. The best modification that you could have done is absent from your list... .simply swapping the turbo.

But hey, its your money... you can waste it however you want.

lol

No, I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm using sarcasm to communicate that the modifications you listed are very inefficient in terms of both cost and synergy. Several of the modifications you listed aren't even necessary unless you're going well above 400whp. The best modification that you could have done is absent from your list... .simply swapping the turbo.

But hey, its your money... you can waste it however you want.

How is it a waste? I got all the parts slightly used or brand new for cheap. I'm not even breaking $1400 for this. $700 being the e85 and 93 tune.

The TGV's are necessary because one of the motors is dead. Intake manifold will be off so might as well get rid of the shitty turbo inlet and get a hard one.

I pretty much have to get a protune cause the Cobb OTS tune isn't cutting it for me and I'm having issues.

If I'm gonna pay $450 for a protune might as well add another $250 and go e85 with just a fuel pump and injectors.

And EBCS...is must for a protune.

I'm getting power gains and the reliability of a protune. Not a waste at all in my books.

How is it a waste? I got all the parts slightly used or brand new for cheap. I'm not even breaking $1400 for this. $700 being the e85 and 93 tune.

The TGV's are necessary because one of the motors is dead. Intake manifold will be off so might as well get rid of the shitty turbo inlet and get a hard one.

I pretty much have to get a protune cause the Cobb OTS tune isn't cutting it for me and I'm having issues.

If I'm gonna pay $450 for a protune might as well add another $250 and go e85 with just a fuel pump and injectors.

And EBCS...is must for a protune.

I'm getting power gains and the reliability of a protune. Not a waste at all in my books.

Hey thats pretty good! You almost convinced me that you didn't waste your money!

lol

Hey thats pretty good! You almost convinced me that you didn't waste your money!

I don't get it...why come in the thread just to be a sarcastic, condescending asshole? Instead you could have come in and offered your genuine advise saying that I should look into a turbo upgrade if I wanted to make my money worth it or something along those lines.

People these days blow my mind. :trolls:

You'll be at or just over 300whp. ( Dyno, CF, blah blah) and it'll spool super fast. Not a waste at all IMHO. Especially for what you've got in to it.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

If you spend a few minutes searching you will find all the info that you need without having to make a post and deal with the comments you are gonna get for a topic that has been covered many many times... good luck with your setup!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Also, what are you doing for an intercooler?

Staying stock. I won't be going over 18psi so the stock one should be alright from the research I've done.

If you spend a few minutes searching you will find all the info that you need without having to make a post and deal with the comments you are gonna get for a topic that has been covered many many times... good luck with your setup!

You would not believe the amount of searching and consulting with people I have done about this. I just figured I'd throw this thread out there just for the "fun" of it and so other LGT/Subaru lovers can see what others are doing with their cars. I didn't ask any questions at all because I'd pretty much decided what I wanted to do and how to spend my money....Guess it wasn't as fun as I thought.

You'll be at or just over 300whp. ( Dyno, CF, blah blah) and it'll spool super fast. Not a waste at all IMHO. Especially for what you've got in to it.

Thanks for the support. I'm truly just looking for a reliable build and tune and e85. Not trying to hit crazy numbers. Gotta love the smell of corn.

All of these Bros n Trolls in here are setting LGT HP records.

You're going to have a nice setup that'll pull hard to the usual 5.5k rpm's, which for some people is fine for a street setup. Have you considered the bulletproof tmic option? Have you upgraded the clutch?

Wow, I am amazed at some of the comments in here. The OP was not out of line at all, didn't ask any ridiculous questions, did nothing to provoke some of the attitude here. He/she simply made a thread sharing what they were doing with their car. A forum is a not just a place to search for past questions, it's a place to talk and actually comment on each others setups, etc. There's no reason to be an ass.

All of these Bros n Trolls in here are setting LGT HP records.

You're going to have a nice setup that'll pull hard to the usual 5.5k rpm's, which for some people is fine for a street setup. Have you considered the bulletproof tmic option? Have you upgraded the clutch?

Thanks man! I'm excited.

Just looked up bulletproof....interesting and only $90. Did you do this?

Also my best friend is doing a HUGE build on his STi. He said he would give me his intake manifold and top mount if I wanted. Yeah it would be a ton of work but we will see.

As for clutch, Yep, stock! Since that won't effect my tune I'll just get a new one if I have issues. I shouldn't be over 300whp so the stock should be able to handle it for awhile. Plus I don't best on my car all that often.

Sounds like a fun setup! please post your progress.

Will do! Thank you!

Wow, I am amazed at some of the comments in here. The OP was not out of line at all, didn't ask any ridiculous questions, did nothing to provoke some of the attitude here. He/she simply made a thread sharing what they were doing with their car. A forum is a not just a place to search for past questions, it's a place to talk and actually comment on each others setups, etc. There's no reason to be an ass.

Thank youuuu! Haha just wanted to share my plans!

Sti intercooler doesn't fit our cars. They use a different style turbo. I don't think that the intake mani will work either.

Good luck with that clutch, I'd have a spare on standby @ the Dyno.

Sti intercooler doesn't fit our cars. They use a different style turbo. I don't think that the intake mani will work either.

Good luck with that clutch, I'd have a spare on standby @ the Dyno.

I've researched it, it can be done. For the clutch...well the shop will have one worst case scenario.

As for that bulletproof mod, I did even more research, looks pretty legit, I think I'll spend the $90 for the kit. Did you do this?

No, I run the racerx fmic. The BP mod didn't exist when I had a top mount.

Fwiw. The Dyno at TPG used to be at J&S, I put down 245/300 is with the topmount and about 20 more hp/tq with the fmic when I had it there quite a few years ago.

Maxed out the STi top mount on a hta68 running 23psi on that dyno. Made 306whp on sheetz 93.

Intercooler will most likely be the limiting factor, I blew end tanks off 2 of the stock ones I had around 17 psi.

I would look at the Process West top mount if you plan to upgrade the turbo at any point in it.

Putting this amount of time, money, and effort into the car, and getting it tuned on a dyno, while keeping the stock tmic is very foolish IMO.

You figured you'd have the IM off, and doing a pro tune, so why not replace the turbo inlet? Why didn't this logic transfer over to your view of the tmic?? At least a more efficient core would give you a solid chunk more power, and let you tune past 18psi. The turbo inlet will give you nothing.

Also, it is very likely E85 will fry your stock 5MT clutch in short order. It's not the hp, it's the torque. Last thing you want to do is pay $$$ for dyno time, and have the clutch let go in the middle and leave with an incomplete tune.

Putting this amount of time, money, and effort into the car, and getting it tuned on a dyno, while keeping the stock tmic is very foolish IMO.

You figured you'd have the IM off, and doing a pro tune, so why not replace the turbo inlet? Why didn't this logic transfer over to your view of the tmic?? At least a more efficient core would give you a solid chunk more power, and let you tune past 18psi. The turbo inlet will give you nothing.

Also, it is very likely E85 will fry your stock 5MT clutch in short order. It's not the hp, it's the torque. Last thing you want to do is pay $$$ for dyno time, and have the clutch let go in the middle and leave with an incomplete tune.

Only reason the logic did not transfer is because of money. The inlet was cheap and didn't wanna risk it tearing like I've heard. The tmic is a lot more expensive...but now I am going to fork over $90 and get the "bulletproof" mod.

New news on the clutch, I bought this car off a friend who is a dealer and he drove the car around awhile before me. Before I got it there was a good amount of work done to it, which I just learned today included a clutch. It was not an OEM one but one that is apparently heavier then stock. So I know I'll make it through the 93 octane tune with the clutch. E85, guess we will find out but I'm not too worried. If it can't handle the power they can tone it down and I can get a new clutch and go back for a retune cheaper if I want.

Like I've said, not going for crazy numbers. Just a reliable tune and a little gain.

Archived