LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket security system

GTWhitey

Hey guys,

I'm an electrician and use my 2005 legacy gt wagon for work/hauling my tools. Normally I don't leave my real expensive equipment in the car, but the majority of it stays in the vehicle over night, with my doors locked and the cargo cover concealing my things. My neighborhood seems pretty safe......but if I was robbed, I'd probably be out 1000's $. And I know for a fact tools are sought after by thieves up here.... Maybe everywhere.

I've been thinking of getting an aftermarket security system, not a cheap one, best I can get. Not too interested in a starter but most seem to have the combo.

Has to have a pager or better.

Anyway, 2 questions:

-how good is the factory security system, if a window breaks, will the horn go off? Does the ignition have a safety where it won't start? Is it easy to bypass if the crook is smart?

-does/has anyone have/had any experience with aftermarket systems? Recommendations? Stay aways? Bad experiences?

I've had aftermarket systems in the past, but a long time ago, and remember it not synching perfectly with factory systems.

Any help/advice is appreciated

Mike

i had to get a OEM shock sensor added to my factory OEM alarm. I dont know if thats an option for 05's.

Your best bet is to go for a aftermarket alarm. One with a pager to wake your @ss up incase it goes off in the middle of the night.

btw what Vancouver are you from?

If you think an alarm is going to stop them from stealing your tools, they are already stolen. It only takes 10 seconds for 3 guys to smash a window, take ALL your tools and drive away before you even have your pants on.

Stop wasting time thinking about spending money on alarms that will make less than zero difference and start unloading your tools into and out of your garage every night.

Not like I've had thousands of dollars of tools stolen from me or anything...

first off the best deterrent is keeping it out of sight. keep EVERYTHING in the trunk, even lock the trunk if you don't want them to open it (key slot by the lever on the floor)

aftermarket systems is only a deterrent, nothing is theft proof. Having an aftermarket alarm installed with a blinky light will send a lot of thieves to the next car.

factory alarms only typically come with door triggers. they could break your window and grab whatever they want without opening the doors and you'd never know it. Aftermarket alarms add shock sensors but this does not necessarily mean they will detect glass breakage, this is where glass break sensors come in. Another step above that is a dual zone motion sensor. basically an invisible bubble around your car if someone breaks it will set the alarm off.

2 way remotes are big but make sure where you park the car is in range of your remote, and have your remote by where you sleep so you know if it goes off. You can add telematic systems to certain alarms (Viper Smart Start VSM250, and Compustar Drone) that will send you alarm alerts on your phone from wherever its in cell coverage and both can do GPS tracking if your car is stolen

sorry i was pretty drunk last night. I've done a few alarms where i've put sirens and strobe lights inside the car. First of all its so loud in the car its the last place you'll want to be and the strobe lights disorient a thief and it will draw a lot more attention to the car

My cousins 93 Civic had an Alarm System, quick Release Steering wheel, kill switch and they still stole it from in front of my aunts house. Tow Truck!

The cops found the car a couple hours later but his stereo and speakers were long gone. The cops said that the alarm and switch was a deterrent but if someone really wanted his stuff, they would take it. They told him to park the car in a more secure place and always take the valuable stuff out if he could.

Thanks for the responses guys. For some reason my ipad wont let me quote your words, so ill respond to all at once

Whatisit--I'm from vancity Canada

LosAngelesLGT--I gotten hit by thieves in the past too, I know the only 100% protection is emptying it, I do that if I'm leaving it for awhile, but doing that 5-6am and again at night as well during the day getting on job site and out is just a massive pain. I do play the odds, my hood is safe, I've got a bright ass motion light above it, and I manage to cover them pretty well with the pull screen. I do take my meters and my prize tools out, but hey, if it does happen I get to buy all new tools, which I can easily find a silver lining to haha.

Anyways, I digress.

I'm happy/relieved that nobody had any nightmares or huge problems with electrics not getting along once installed, my main worry.

Would I be disabling the factory unit or adding on??

I'm gonna get a system, probably the most badass one I can find(any specific recommendations). If anything it'll be a placebo for me.

Ill update when I get it!!

you are not disabling your factory system, you're adding onto it. all your factory alarm does is monitor door triggers. if you had for factory system armed I could break your windows, jump in and take what I wanted and if I didn't open your door to get out of the you'd be none the wiser. An after market alarm does at minimum, door triggers and a dual stage shock sensor. there are additions of sensors such as glass break, motion, pressure, and tilt sensors that can be added.

Archived