LegacyGT.com

Did the 2005 cars have lots of problems?

I've owned this 05 gt for a couple years now, bought it from 2nd owner with 62k on it. Car has 73k on it now. 60k service was done post purchase.

Since purchase I've the following go wrong:

valve cover gasket leak

intake butterfly valves quit working

driver side window switch block buttons sticking

bearing noise from a pulley

fuel vapors in cabin

When I searched for each and every one of these issues it seems like I'm not the only one. They aren't unheard of. But this car seems to be one of those where if anyone out there has ever had x problem, then this car will end up with x problem.

Is it a lemon? Or is this laundry list of bullcrap because it's a first MY car?

every car is going to start having issues as the mileage goes up. up keep is important and can dictate what goes wrong with your car. depends.

I'm at 240k and of what you've mentioned i have:

a sticky driverside window button

occasional fumes in cabin.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

The only issue I've had that's beyond the normal occurrences is Turbo Failure....

That one is IMHO an issue that is higher than normal - But almost any part can go and it doesn't seem like the 05s are any worse off than other cars for the first year of production.

Ugh yah that makes it seem like maybe mine is having more issues than normal.

With the exception of the valve cover job the rest of the stuff I listed - difficult to pin that on abuse. Seems more like I just got the car off the line that was born to be a PITA.

You know how it goes. I've put so much into it that it is hard to kiss it off and sell. But it's always one more thing to fix that is hopefully always going to be the last. And then something breaks a few months later. Rage, rinse, repeat. :spin:

the valve cover gaskets need to be done very carefully

sometimes when replaced if the tech isnt careful they get pinched and can leak

i have 78k on mine and have done them as well

and the passenger side is starting to leak again very slight but im kinda anal and want them perfect

honestly sounds like your car is fine

just to the tgv delete mod and have a tuner take off the codes for the motors...

maybe replace the pulleys t belt etc.

its just maintenance ..

my water pump shit on me just yesterday and i replaced it 20k ago

but hey i'll take the bad with the good

i'd still rather have this beast of a subi than most other cars!

The valve cover gasket was done and it isn't leaking any more. The deletes were done also. Those were just part of the list of items I've had to get done since I bought it and put only 10k miles on the car.

I had a 25 year old honda and never had to replace a pulley. Pretty crappy to have bearing noise on a pulley in a car with this mileage.

but dude c'mon replace all the pulleys

and boom done

way better than a honda

a kit with a kevlar belt water pump and pulleys in around 350

i have a buddy with a civic thats been running for a long time but he always has minor issues with it

more than me and i mod the hell outta this thing...

the legacy is def safer too!

July 2004 build 2005 LGT Wagon 5mt-----Not reliable nor unreliable compared to our previous Honda Civic's (96,95).

<100k no issues but rear wheel bearings in warranty

105k Throw Out bearing failed

150k-160k-

Calipers stick x 2 front/replaced

valve cover gasket leak

power window rear motor failed(not fixed)

Spark plug coil failure

Starter failed

Alternator failed

If we dumped it prior to 150k we would state reliable :) My wife loves the car and knows there is no other decent performance wagon manual except unreliable BMW 535ix and incredible but $$$$ Caddy CTS-V Wagon. She just pays the repairs and drives on.

I'm a 5eat with 82K on the clock. I have had some good luck, although less mileage. I do drive my car pretty hard, stage 2 (since that's all my tranny is going to handle).

I have had none of the above problems! I think most repairs would be maintenance:

2 wheel bearings

Brake job twice

Sway bar end links (keep in mind only after upgrading sway bar).

Once or twice I had a sticky button on my Driver's side window.. but that is so far and in between I don't even call it a problem.

That's it... zoom!

Yah that is mostly just maintenance stuff. I've done other things on mine as well which fit that description but other than the 60k service mention didn't list any of that stuff.

The sticky button on the driver side window? Mine flat broke entirely.

05 GT MT Wagon here. I only had sticking driver side window issue which I fixed before it failed with one of the walk-throughs here. 144K, Stage 2 for few years now, autox and spirited driving. I do take preventive maintance very seriously though and may be this is why there are some things I didn't see this far.

Realize that this is an 8 years old car by now, even if it would be sitting in a container things would still not like new at this point in time.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I have experienced everything but the TGV problem. Which, all in all, I consider pretty minor maintenance issues in the scheme of things for a 10 year old car. Actually surprised you haven't done a clutch, axle boots or wheel bearing yet. Check that turbo side axle boot early and often.

I'd hate to see how mad you'd be if something serious went wrong with the car (turbo, trans, etc.).

I just bought mine a month ago, auto w/ 95k miles, and I've had to do just over 2k in work so far;

Clogged gas lines

replaced the brake pads and lines

had a lose nut on one of the spark plug coils

had a bad actuator flap in the intake which i just got fixed today

she's running like a champ now

Did the 2005 cars have lots of problems?

What are you talking about, these cars are great. :lol:

Why I have done anything to my 05 in a few weeks now...there so reliable I bought a 09 to drive when I fixing the 05...:lol:

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey bros I like the car don't get me wrong. It's just been one thing after another since I bought it. I got a reliable japanese car with 62k on it so I wouldn't have to turn around and dump money into it. That hasn't worked out. Hence my post here.

If I had been paying the dealer for parts and labor on all of this, like probably the majority of off-forum users would, it would probably have been about 3000$ worth of work counting the 60k service so far. That's frickin ridic.

You only have 57 post so far. You'll learn...:lol:

Most of us have learned it's a :wub:love/hate:mad: relationship with these cars.

There used to be a thread on here, who had the most miles and how are the cars holding up.

Lots of issues there...

I have done a lot of the work on mine. But like you said, if I always had to go to the dealer, it may be a different story.

When these cars run well they are a great bang for the buck. Lots of :)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

new LGT owner here: I have no idea what has/has not been replaced from the previous 2 owners other than it has a upgraded subaru turbo. I just did the usual water pump, timing belt, and all other belts...what else should I look for?

thanks

Archived