LegacyGT.com

Continental ContiExtremeContact

minus9

Has anyone mounted a set of the Continental ContiExtremeContact tires on a Legacy GT? I was planning on putting these on my Acura as my next tire set until I traded it in for the Subaru :) Everywhere I see fantasitc reviews for these in both wet and dry as well as very nice snow performance.

[size=1]I've had them on three cars and have been very pleased with them. I don't want a "full on" summer performance tire as I'm in too many varied conditions. They're an excellent compromise with a wide performance window. I actually had them in slushy half frozen snow today and was very pleased with the Legacy/Conti combination. Once the mountains start receiving significant snow, I'll switch to studded Nokian Hakka 2's for the winter. But until it gets real cold I'll use the Conti's.[/size]

I love my set of Continental ContiExtremeContacts on a 2000 Legacy GT wagon. Control and traction in all conditions are superior to the RE92s on stock Subies. Will buy a set for our 2005 Legacy GT wagon asap.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

Hi Ralf, sorry, that pic cracked me up lol........ Ive never driven on them but a lot of M3's around the world used to have them as a standard tyre before BMW did a tyre deal with Michelin, so I would say that they would have to be pretty good to be put on the best GT car going around. Adam.

These were my last set of tires on my WRX. I had them on my stock wheels and used them in the winter, while I had 17" OZ w/ Sumitomo tires for summer. I found the Continentals to be amazing tires. While the handling was not quite as good as my summer set up, there was a night and day difference over the OE Bridgestones in all conditions. Better ride, less noise, vastly improved handling. I wouldn't hesitate if it's new tire time. Plus, the dealer was very impressed with them when I traded my WRX in.

I had always heard/read great things about ContiExtremeContact tires, but thought a thread on this site mentioned soft sidewall on Contis?? I am pretty sure I am going go with Toyo Proxie 4s M/S, but have an open mind. Again, I have only read good things about ContiExtreme and know that BMW used them on M3s, 540 etc. Like you, would be interested in others experience.

[size=1]I think there's some confusion between the Conti Contact and Conti Extreme Contact. The standard "Contact" is a "Ultra High Performance" summer tire while the "Extremes" are Conti's "Ultra High Performance All Season". The Conti Contacts, now replaced with the Contact 2, were OEM on many Audi's and BMW's. They were widely criticized as a poor tire for variety of reasons. Anyway, the new generation of Conti's included the Extreme Contact, which most people like. The older Conti Contacts are generally dismissed and really did little to advance Continental as a tire manufacturer. Opinions, opinions... [/size]

[font=Arial][size=2]My Jetta came with Michelin Pilot Sports and I replaced them with the Conti Extreme Contacts for the winters here in NJ. While I felt it was a great and relatively inexpensive tire for just about all conditions the sidewall was noticeably softer and took allot away from some of the responsiveness of the car. I understand I was going from a hardcore summer tire to a all around performer but the drop off in performance took me by surprise. I would consider getting them again but I would also shop around before doing so.[/size][/font]

Our PDXWRX group just talked about winter tires and many of the guys really liked the Blizzak's. The Alpins were also at the top of the list. Here is a quick list of winter tires for the LGT's on the tirerack: [url]http://tinyurl.com/4gzs8[/url] Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 & Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 I only put my winter tires on when I head up the hill to go boarding so I imagine I'll go with the Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-01. These are supposed to be a little better on ice. -JGR

• 1 year later...
So, these tires are my current choice for replacing the re92's. Living in the SF Bay Area, it is tough to pick an A/S tire. I will be purchasing new rims/tires in the summer, so I'll be using the stockers for runs to Tahoe. I am not so concerned about noise/wear, mostly that they will perform in adverse conditions. I don't drive in snow much, but I need them to work well when I do. The P-Zero Nero M+S would be the choice where it not for the their poor snow perfomance. I convinced my roommate to buy the P-Zeros for his 330xi (225/45 17) and they are AWESOME in the wet/dry for an A/S tire. These will be more for winter use, but that will include lots of long freeway hauls to and from Tahoe, so a pure winter tire is out. Would be nice to hear the voice of a few more people who had tried these tires. Any other tires I'm missing that are A/S with decent snow performance in this price range? I like the Michelin's but they are damn expensive.

The conti extremes are very good tires. Noise level is pretty good, snow performance is descent and wet performance is fantastic. In tight speed turns you'll feel the soft sidewalls but the grip is endless and makes up for it. The only thing I don't like about the tire is the flat spotting. If you are a weekend driver only you will feel this for the first mile or so. Great cheap tire and better than Contis expensive alternatives which must piss them off :)

Archived