LegacyGT.com

Anyone's clutch go soft?

BKNYCSubyGT

I know, sounds like a horrible problem if it were mine, but it's my poor LGT. A month or so ago I was driving in typical NYC stop and go traffic and was stuck in and out of first gear...not even fully making it into first gear. From one rev and lift of the clutch to the next, literally, it felt like the clutch's friction point dropped some and the clutch went buttery. I figured it might need to cool off, but it has never been the same since. My SO loves it because it's more like his Acura's very smooth clutch (and past clutches he has owned) but my LGT's clutch has always been very "gritty" and heavy feeling at the friction point. While there's no slippage and no clutch stink (ever, thankfully), is it possible that it has finally "settled" or wearing in at 14k miles? Has me a bit alarmed and the service manager and lead tech claims the clutch is operating as normal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have problems with my clutch too. Just dropped the car off at dealer today, but I think they will have to replace the clutch. Revs up sometimes and nothing happens, then decides to go..... I will let you know what the determination is. 11k miles on the car and I have never had to replace a clutch in a car ever!

Edit.... Spoke to Dealer today and they are replacing the clutch and plate under warranty.

I have problems with my clutch too. Just dropped the car off at dealer today, but I think they will have to replace the clutch. Revs up sometimes and nothing happens, then decides to go..... I will let you know what the determination is. 11k miles on the car and I have never had to replace a clutch in a car ever!

My car had a bad pressure plate causing slip and stink. After awhile it started to slip in the upper gears under WOT. Dealer replaced it under warranty. Now no slip and very little stink.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21452&highlight=slipping+WOT

I think I just experienced this. I have an 05 MT LGT wagon that should be ready for pick-up early this coming week, but my wife has an 05 MT XT Legacy OB wagon with about 10K miles on it. She's a fairly conservative driver, and makes me drive more conservatively than I like when she's in the car, so I haven't had many chances to test its limits. I did get such a chance this afternoon, however.

I was at a stop waiting to make an entry left hand turn. I reved fairly agressively and let the clutch up, but at about 1/3 of the way up, it felt like it had stuck, and, although I was able to get moving, it was a fairly unsettling experience, and resulted in an nastly dose of clutch stench as well. No fun!

I was at a stop waiting to make an entry left hand turn. I reved fairly agressively and let the clutch up, but at about 1/3 of the way up, it felt like it had stuck, and, although I was able to get moving, it was a fairly unsettling experience, and resulted in an nastly dose of clutch stench as well. No fun!

Had the exact same experience a while back.

WTF?

Exact same thing here, soft clutch at all. Really started after a 3 hour stop and go through DC and Baltimore. Since then the clutch has been sticking during shifts and has absolutely no feel at the catch point. Took it to the dealer only to be told it feels normal. About to take it in again in the coming weeks becuase its not normal and will not be normal every again until it is replaced. 18,500 on it.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Archived