LegacyGT.com

Which model/year TURBO Subaru best combines affordability with reliability?

They are not sadly unless well taken care of.

If you enjoy risk or have deep pockets get one! I enjoy risk and didn't know any better when I purchased mine. I love it, but I have mentally prepared myself for each mile closer to 200k being an act of grace.

Fun cars when they run, not running they can end your marriage.

That being said if you can accept that you need to modify whatever you get after you buy it then you will be fine. Be on your toes when you come across high mods and high miles vehicles.

You want a reliable turbo'd Subaru wagon? Buy an 89-94 wagon with a 5 speed, swap in an EJ20 with a turbo. THAT is a bulletproof motor that will absolutely run forever.

The 4th Gen that we all know and love here, sadly is not for the faint of heart. The later years (08/09) solved some issues that these cars are notorious for, but not all of them. If you can be prepared for an eventual blown engine though and afterward are diligent on any car repairs and can perform the right mods specifically created to increase this car's reliability, THEN they can be made to go well into the 250k mile range and beyond.

How do you do that? Resesrch, research, research. Basically make Legacygt.com your new Bible.

I learned the hard way - bought the car, and then proceeded to drain my savings account for it.

That being said, I love the hell out of it and wouldn't trade it on many cars in this world.

Tris should be here soon to help lay down the word of the street.

Read my click here link. The wagon just turned 206,000 miles yesterday. 53,000 trouble free miles at 21psi on the ej257.

I bought the car new late June 2004, I think I've paid for it 2.5 times. I have a 09 Spec B as a back up for when the wagon needs work, but it is my DD. We take it to VT most weekends to go skiing. I took it across NH and some of ME and the back roads for a 5 hours drive in a 8" snow storm last month for a week of skiing at Sugarloaf. The car runs that good.

It's all in the tune. I'd write more but I have to get ready to go skiing, lift's open in 50 minutes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Read my click here link. The wagon just turned 206,000 miles yesterday. 53,000 trouble free miles at 21psi on the ej257.

I bought the car new late June 2004, I think I've paid for it 2.5 times. I have a 09 Spec B as a back up for when the wagon needs work, but it is my DD. We take it to VT most weekends to go skiing. I took it across NH and some of ME and the back roads for a 5 hours drive in a 8" snow storm last month for a week of skiing at Sugarloaf. The car runs that good.

It's all in the tune. I'd write more but I have to get ready to go skiing, lift's open in 50 minutes.

You are still riding up there? Im so jealous!! Our season has been over for a month now down here in maryland :(

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I'll say this about tourbo typed engines...I love the fact my 06 has 2.5 Litre engine size as opposed to a Audi A-4 ,or Jaguar seen on tv both 2.0 litres ,,meaning way less stress on the engine which simply means longer life.

If going turbo,get a 2.5 and make sure your mechanic is familiar and trustworthy or bite the bullet,pay the extra money and go to a Subaru dealership for oil changes,,,,they are critical to a long term relationship .Filters are absolutely the most essential part of that system and since those infamous banjo bolts part of that system is easily clogged ,,spend the money and have it done right..

One final point,,high end cars whether from Germany,Italy or Japan are temperamental beasts and not one has any reliability chart they would be proud of.especially german and Italian products.

I've been a believer in volume especially when applying turbo 's into the mix.I can't comment on the setup you mentioned however could have been a sort of anamoly or god knows,,the engine builders in Indiana or Iowa ....wherever made had their A Team on the production line,,,,I do think it's Hoosier built.

Stay Simple,,.

Is it such a divide between people's across the Pond..

I speak specifically of the European mind set of buying stock ,,and I mean high end stock and then living and dying with those decisions made which in there arrogant way assures their decision making.

I speak of a British show called Top Gear....easily the most watched car show in the world...by far..

On a visit to the U.S. Jeremy Clarkson,,the alpha of the group along with my favorite James May,,accompanied by a younger Richard Hammond...

They did a lengthy trip then took on modified American vehicles,,I'm speaking of our trucks vs. their expensive performance sedans.

To say it was an embarrassment would be an understatement ,,,,

Why.

From acquisition a brand new vehicle has plans ahead for it here....while in Europe...they say,,,,why,,,it's the best,,it's new ..why modify it...

They lost every race and was never close in any of them..

I can't write on upgrades,,but cars I've owned,,one my first new car a 1971 Vw Karmann Ghia ..Canary Yellow Convertible...it coulda bina somebody ,,,,give it maybe a 120 horsepower ,,an upgraded dash instead of wallpaper,,,,it coulda been somebody,,cuda been a Contender ,,,,,you hear me Charlie.ll.ll.

If Marlon would listen,,but I ask since I only operate an I Pad,,,,could someone put up that 1971 Ghia convertible for me,,,would be appreciated...also had that burnt orange 1974 vw Thing as well...but that can wait,,,,it was destroyed after I went to the Killarnrney Rose on Pearl street,,my team the islanders won and they stole all my 4 slotted 4 windows.....night to remember,,,years ago...this was in NYC when only a few bars had cable tv,,,still not wired to the other boroughs.

I ask since I only operate an I Pad

Ahhh,,,, I get,,, it,,,,, now,,,, that's why so many,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, because ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fat fingers,,,,,,

Ahhh,,,, I get,,, it,,,,, now,,,, that's why so many,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, because ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fat fingers,,,,,,

I always picture a toad typing :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived