LegacyGT.com

Strange transmission noise, 4EAT

BravoZero

I just had my transmission fluid replaced this past weekend for free due to the maintenance shop's error (they drained part of the transmission pan not knowing so and thought it was the oil pan, I drove off and it started slipping, took it back in and they admitted their fault and drained the transmission, new filter and fluid for FREE). It shifts slightly better but not so much, this has to be the biggest POS transmission I've ever owned in a car.

Anyway, I pull up in my driveway this evening and had to back out, I put the car in reverse with my door open and I noticed the transmission has an electrical "hum" to it, both in reverse and in drive. It's actually loud enough that I can hear it with the door closed and window down. I don't ever remember noticing this sound before, but then again I wasn't looking for any strange transmission sounds. I'm I am at a stop light or stop sign, I can hear it when the car is in gear.

Is this transmission "hum" normal?

Doesn't sound normal to me. The transmission should not be making any strange sounds, or audible sounds for that matter. If you put it in N, the noise goes away? Could be a variety of things, I would start with making sure the level of ATF is correct. Check it with the car in Park, the engine running, and on a level surface.

In park and neutral it doesn't make that noise.

I've checked the level and it seems to be correct. Fresh red fluid too, nothing dirty. HOWEVER... I didn't get it flushed, which is probably something I should have had them do anyway and I would have just paid for that part. The car has about 75K and I've had it since about 50K, don't know if the transmission had ever been serviced before I bought it.

Would reflashing the TCU help? I asked the local dealership about it and they said they only do it if there's an update to the software. So either they're lazy or incompetent, or telling the truth. I dunno. I'm thinking maybe I'll try getting the transmission flushed anyway to help with shifting. I'm still having the problem where the torque converter clutch seems like it kicks in too early in certain gears.

I don't think you drove it enough to cause any damage after you got out of the shop. Having different kinds of fluid in it doesn't help. Flushing it will definitely help especially at that mileage and not knowing the service record.

The dealer is right, they do not reflash the TCU unless there is an update. Reflashing the TCU will not solve anything. At most, you may want to reset it to get it to re-learn your driving behavior. The problem you are describing has nothing to do with the TCU.

Even with the strange shifting and early TCC engagement? I would have thought that the TCU would be responsible for that. I'm also suspecting a motor/transmission mount is worn out as well. I might try installing the Comfort Transmission mount inserts to see if it gets smoother.

Archived