LegacyGT.com

'Free oil changes for life" offer

cachibache

One dealer offered the "free oil change for life" plan as part of his deal. How much is that worth? The reason I am asking is to make it easy to compare different offers from other dealers. With that plan, can I get the oil changes at every dealer, or do I have to go back to the same dealer?

TIA,

Nelson

It's not worth as much as it sounds and they will probably require you to have it serviced by them and not another dealer. They will likely follow a 3750 mile/ change schedule (or might even bump it up to the SOA recommended 7500 miles). Over 5 years that equates to 16 oil changes. A couple bucks a quart and 8 bucks for a filter, you're looking at $288 worth of free stuff not counting labor.
.o0O0o.

I would assume if its a specific dealer offering this to you, you would have to go back to them to get it done. I can't imagine other dealers would take too kindly to having to essentially pay for someone elses offer.

As far as how much this equates to cost, it depends. First off, this is most likely regular oil, if you want synthetic, you will have to bring your own = more $.

Is this for the life of the car? Lease? Finance term? Should get them to be a little more specific as it can certainly make a difference.

As far as to how much it would cost it all depends on how much you drive. Certainly for someone packing on the miles it would work out to much more than someone who only drives less than 12k / yr. It all depends. If i were you i would try and get full maintinence, or at least the normal 30k check-up and things like that. Oil changes are cheap freebies for dealers to give away, as opposed to trying to get the price down further.

changing oil is labor, not the oil or filter itself. get specifics before agreeing to that deal. Guy shouldn't have to deal like that. Just take the invoice price and say you want it for that amount out the door and call it a day.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Archived