LegacyGT.com

Tire Sizes for the Spec.B OEM Wheel

seanlsb

So I'm getting to be due for a set of tires and I'm trying to find the best option - bang and buck are of equal importance to me. It seems to me that heading into the stealership and dropping off a mint for new OEM rubber wouldn't be my best route - but maybe at some of the lightly used prices, the Potenzas may be OK. What I'm really curious about is should I go explicitly with the 215/45/18 size, or should I sway in a shorter and wider direction - such as the 225/40/18 that seems to be suggested for the Spec.b in the wheel/tire technical forum sticky (not sure if he was talking specifcally about the stock wheel). Any input is appreciated, as always.

-S

I did a 225/40/18 contiextreme for winter. No problems so far. Speedo is off 1.8% or so according to a tire size calculator. 225/45/18 is slightly closer in size but larger. I'd rather slightly under gear than over gear given the choice.

Sorry it took so long to post but here are my pics. The tires are pretty meaty with deep channels and are very quiet on the road. They are 225/40 R18.

first pic is S Drive vs RE50's

second is S Drive vs my all season G sports for winter

Third is S Drives on the front.

This is what I put on the stockers...

I went with 225/40s on the OEM 18" wheels (Goodyear F1 A/S), and I wish I'd jumped up to 235/40s, because it looks like they'd fit.

I was gun-shy, having dealt with rubbing issues with 245/40s; but those were on ET48 wheels. IIRC, the OEM wheels are ET53, and the ~half-inch difference with the OEMs and 235s probably wouldn't rub. HPH

From what i'm told, 225/45-18 and 225/40-18 will both fit without a problem, but tirerack (who we know are VERY conservative) will only guarantee the 225/40-18 and recommend it highly over the 225/45-18. I'm not sure why, it seems that the 225/45 have more accuracy with the speedo and what not, but perhaps they are concerned about rubbing?? I don't know, but many many people run 225/45-18 with no problem on the stock rims.

I'm at 22k miles. They're not completely done, but there's evidence of aggressive driving in the tread wear. Damn valets. :) I'm going to just go ahead and get some new ones now since I've heard such bad things about the stockers, and such good things about other tires (i.e. Hankook RS2). I'd like to experience some of this glory first hand.

• 1 month later...

Let us know how they look and perform. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a pair for my SpecB soon. I've got my car lowered and wonder if the 40 series tire and stiffer springs would be too harsh. Did any of you guys running the 225/40's notice a change is "harshness"

Cheers,

Archived