LegacyGT.com

(video) How to Change Front Brake Rotors

I know this is a pretty basic operation. But I had to change my rotors yesterday so I figured I'd just film it and throw up a video. Posting it here just for the record for when someone new to mechanics can have an easier way to start off.

• 2 weeks later...
Perfectly done video. Only one question, where'd you get that grille!?

Thanks for putting this together

It's a JDM front grille I believe. Check the for sale section here and you'll see things pop up for it every now and then. They're pretty pricey though..

Good video overall, I would have cleaned and re-lubed the slider pins though!

Not a bad idea

what did u use to remove 2nd rotor?

A standard pully puller, I believe i got that one at harbor freight for about $10. It screws into the two screw holes in the rotors, and then you tighten the center down which pushed against the axle and it pulls the rotor off of the hub.

I also like to lube the slide pins, just make sure you get the rubber boot's back on good so they seal well.

I also use 8mm x 1.25 bolts to back the rotor's off the hubs, lube the threads with PB Blaster and anti-seize compound before putting the bolts into the threads.

Also put anti-seize compound on all the bolts and nuts on the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I also like to lube the slide pins, just make sure you get the rubber boot's back on good so they seal well.

I also use 8mm x 1.25 bolts to back the rotor's off the hubs, lube the threads with PB Blaster and anti-seize compound before putting the bolts into the threads.

Also put anti-seize compound on all the bolts and nuts on the car.

I used those bolts to back off the second rotor, I didn't use anti-seize because I like to make sure they stay put. see'ing that they are brakes I don't want the chance of anything backing itself off. Just a personal preference but it works either way. In my opinion the car isn't old enough to worry about bolts getting stuck or heads breaking off, my car is also a southern car so i don't have much rust.

I have never had any bolt or nut loosen from using anti-seize. It keeps the threads from rusting, it doesn't cause then to loosen.

I even put it on my lug nuts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have never had any bolt or nut loosen from using anti-seize. It keeps the threads from rusting, it doesn't cause then to loosen.

I even put it on my lug nuts.

Interesting thought. I recently had the lug nuts back off after torquing them to 82 lb/ft. Followed up with a manual as-tight-as-I-can wrenching.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ah memories. Doing my fronts again tomorrow. Decent video, helpful for a first timer. Torque specs for anyone who is interested.

Caliper bolts are 19.9 ft lbs

Caliper support bolts are 88.5 ft lbs

Wheel lugs about 75 ft lbs... 90-100 :eek: Is way too tight.

If you have to use a hammer to loosen the Caliper bolts - they are too tight.

Admittedly, I don't torque my caliper support bolts to 88.5 ft lbs because frankly, its not needed. 30-50 is good and makes them a hell of a lot easier to remove next time. I am all for greasing the pins the caliper assembly floats on and I put anti-seize on everything which again helps with removal next time.

Lug nuts get small bit of anti-seize occasionally. I live in CA. Rust and corrosion is not a problem here. No snow/salt in nor-cal where I live.

Ah memories. Doing my fronts again tomorrow. Decent video, helpful for a first timer. Torque specs for anyone who is interested.

Caliper bolts are 19.9 ft lbs

Caliper support bolts are 88.5 ft lbs

Wheel lugs about 75 ft lbs... 90-100 :eek: Is way too tight…...

88.5 ft-lb will strip the bolts. 59 ft-lb is the correct spec.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-caliper-bolt-torque-specs-186205.html

Archived