LegacyGT.com

some help with sanding

this wont be done on a subie but auto paint is mostly all the same. My gf's blazer hood is pealing clearcoat bad. But the rest of the truck is fine. The truck is black. I want to wetsand off the clearcoat from the hood without messing up the actual paint. My goal is to get all the clear coat off and then just wax the bare paint making it look like a matte finish. What grit sandpaper should i use? i heard using 1000 grit is good for making your clearcoat shiny again, but i want to get rid of it cause it looks like total hell. so i was thinking maybe 800. what do you guys think?

DONT DO IT It'll look like sh*t. Just sand it down go to napa get the paint code mixed in a rattle can, spray it, then clear it 3 coats then buff it'll look llike a new hood

why would it look like crap. her truck is black, so having a matte finish black hood wouldnt look so bad. take a look.

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/img_6687-1600x1200.jpg

So everyone thinks I should just re-clear it? Meh, ok, I thought it might look neat with a matte finished hood. I'll be doing this on sunday so I'll post pics of before, during and after.

As for the actual wet sanding, this might be a dumb question but i will start by saying that I'm more mechanical than body, should I use water or like a sort of quick detail lube like when you clay-bar?

I wasn't going to spray it at all. If I sand off the clear and then wax the bare paint, it will give it a matte finish. Maybe that's why you guys thought it would look like poop, cause you thought i was gonna spray it with matte paint. That wasn't my plan at all, i wasn't going to buy any paint.

Archived