LegacyGT.com

Koni Yellow Sport Shocks - 2010+ Legacy Fitment

I have been meaning to adjust them further to dial them in for the colder winter temps, but I misplace my Koni knob and the other 3 knobs are in my garage attic. This means I have to move my stored truck & boat around to get access.

I went to move my boat so I could get access to garage attic and grab another Koni knob. I keep my trailer hitch ball in the spare tire tray. Right next to trailer hitch ball was my Koni adjustment knob.

After doing my spring cleaning and swapping over my summer tires, I noticed my yellow painted donor struts look like crap, I did them in November. The Northeast winter did number on them. Looking back I should have just painted them black.

• 2 weeks later...

Koni is now OFFICIALLY listing the 8610-1447S insert and 8010-1055S rear shock for 2010-2014 Legacy fitment.

http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/List/?t=KoniPartSearch&q=2014&m=423&mk=40&mt=1

And it appears that the 8610-1453S insert is at least listed again for 11-14 WRX. I have an email in to my guy at Koni to see if they are in fact available at this time.

http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Products/Cars/List/?t=KoniPartSearch&q=2012&m=424&mk=40&mt=1

Edited by GTEASER

^^^ like 4 years after it was originally put in a donor strut???

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

^^^ like 4 years after it was originally put in a donor strut???

It's actually the 1447 insert, for 05-09 Legacy fitment, not the 1453 we had been using. If going with stock height springs, I would still use the 1453 since it is 1/4" taller than the 1447 at full extension, which is still 1/2" shorter than our stock struts. If using lowering springs, the 1447 will work fine and should be plenty easy to get the tophats on the assemblies.

8610-1453S inserts are available again for a limited time. Koni produced a small run, half of which just arrived in the US, to meet demand until the full 11-14 WRX struts can be developed and produced. You can order them directly thru Koni or other suppliers like Emnotek.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm finally getting around to installing my Konis I bought last year. One of my front struts requires a lot of force to move the piston and the other one moves quite easily. I can also at points hear air bubbling and I hear the oil sloshing when I shake the strut of the one that moves easily. I made sure the adjustment on both are set to the softest. This has got to be a defective strut right? What amount of force should be required to move the piston?

That surely does not sound good. It should take significant force to move the piston by hand. Lucky for you Koni started selling the 8610-1453S again, but only for a short while. And unfortunately for you, they may not warranty it due to us using a WRX shock for our Legacy application. Worst case scenario is you have to buy a single 1453.

I contacted them already and they said they have 17 units available, thank God! They just didn't seem to want to say for sure this was defective only telling me I can submit it for a warranty claim if I'd like. I would be pretty pissed if they deny this based on it being used on a Legacy, when all I've done is remove it from the box. Although they do require a copy of the vehicle registration with the warranty submission. Worth a shot I guess.

I'm finally getting around to installing my Konis I bought last year. One of my front struts requires a lot of force to move the piston and the other one moves quite easily. I can also at points hear air bubbling and I hear the oil sloshing when I shake the strut of the one that moves easily. I made sure the adjustment on both are set to the softest. This has got to be a defective strut right? What amount of force should be required to move the piston?

That surely does not sound good. It should take significant force to move the piston by hand. Lucky for you Koni started selling the 8610-1453S again, but only for a short while. And unfortunately for you, they may not warranty it due to us using a WRX shock for our Legacy application. Worst case scenario is you have to buy a single 1453.

I also need get off my butt an install mine. should the front piston stay compressed after being pushed down?

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g217/amidroc/2010%20Legacy%20GT%20Premium/th_20160328_220250_zpsce9bwuqc.mp4

I also need get off my butt an install mine. should the front piston stay compressed after being pushed down?

The Koni's are a twin tube design. The monotube are gas pressurized and those are the shock that naturally will fully extend.

Ok, so now I'm not so sure which one of mine is functioning the way it should. This is the one I thought might be deffective, but it seems to operate like the video amidroc posted.

https://youtu.be/ZzLU7cLzJ9Y

This is the one I thought was maybe normal. I figured it was ok that it required a significant amount of force to compress it. But it requires much less force to extended it. To compress it I have almost my complete body weight on it. Could something have happened when I installed it in the strut housing?

https://youtu.be/1j4mML_SMUg