LegacyGT.com

Nexus 7 Tablet Install for Dummies (Guide)

What did you guys do about the fact the obd2 port always supplies power to the tactrix cable thus lighting up the leds on the tactrix non stop? I know its not a huge drain but i would feel a little questionable if i had to leave the car unstarted for a week,month etc.

Dave

I have one car where the btssm bluetooth sensor is always plugged in. This car has stayed a week parked and the battery was ok.

The 05 has the vagcom cable always plugged in too. I've also had the car parked for over a week. It's been ok as well. Not sure about how much current the tactrix unit draws, but my guess is not much. You could always shoot an email to the tactrix people and ask them.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually have a obd2 extension cable plugged into the obd2 port which is disconnected from my lower panel. So the tactrix itself sits under the radio for the most part. I would have to tear it all back apart to snap pics unfortunately.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I actually have a obd2 extension cable plugged into the obd2 port which is disconnected from my lower panel. So the tactrix itself sits under the radio for the most part. I would have to tear it all back apart to snap pics unfortunately.

Dave

Port is disconnected from the lower pannel, got it. Sounds like a clean install I will try the same thanks!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
How do you go about programing the tablet to come out off and back into stand by mode with power from the cig charger? I don't have much experience with android. (apple user) also I'm running through the wiring for this setup in my head. Is there something missing from your components list? Because with those part you would end up with 2 male USB ports at the cig charger? Please tell me what I'm missing here.

The Timur rom takes care of these things such as waking up the tablet when charging is sensed and going into deep sleep when charging no longer occurs.

Thanks

So the app handles the programing. Very nice. That guy has really thought of everything hasn't he. Reminds I need to devote an evening to read through his thread.

• 2 weeks later...

You should do what I did (see the video I posted earlier):

-tell Android to resize your screen so as to exactly match the available area provided by the stock gps panel. (I can search for the command I had to run to do this)

-I completely got rid of that navbar, and use the gmd gesture app instead. IMO, it can be a pain to try to press those tiny buttons while driving; I find it much safer and more efficient to use that gesture app since you don't have to stare at the screen to perform an action (i.e. you draw a pattern anywhere on the screen which will perform an action like play/pause, next, go home, etc...).

Here you go:

Just an FYI for anyone using the USDM nav bezel style pictured above - if you've already done the install, you know the bottom ~125 screen pixels get covered by the lower trim and you lose the native Android navigation bar (unless you're willing to do more dremelling and trim work).

I've seen where others configured gestures or navigation bar mods to workaround this but I tried various options in this vein and while you can restore some functionality, there is still some compromise and for the most part it felt half-assed to me.

I figured there had to be a way to tell Android not to use those pixels and it turns out there is.

If you've already gone through the motions of installing Timur on your Nexus, the fix is a walk in the park.

Simply open up your command window, connect to your device and run the following ADB commands;

adb shell wm size 1075x1920

adb shell overscan 125,0,0,0

Basically we've just told Android that it only has 1075 of the 1200 pixels available to work with and that those pixels are offset by 125 from the bottom edge (which is actually the left edge of the Nexus).

I've only been using this for an hour or so at time of writing but it appears setting Android up like this means everything runs natively at that resolution so there is no compromise with scroll bars going off screen, aspect ratios etc.

An added bonus is that the change persists after reboot as well, so no messing with a boot script or Tasker to make it stick!

WIN!

Depending on your own install, those numbers can be tweaked to whatever you want to get the alignment perfect or even put a small 5 pixel border around the perimeter to help with swiping in from the edge of the screen (for things like notification drop down).

Also, if you happen to mess something up, you can reset things back very easily with

adb shell wm size reset

adb shell wm overscan reset

Now I'll just wait for someone to tell me that this was mentioned in a previous post that I missed :-)

Thanks! that worked amazingly well!

I opted to skip the custom dimensions, and went with just the overscan setting. I'll check out the gestures app, but the nav bar is more so that my wife can operate the screen while I drive.

and for what it is worth, the correct syntax for the overscan command is:

adb shell wm overscan 125,0,0,0

I used 0,0,90,0, as there's a blemish on the right side (the side i want to hide), and the 90 was just the right offset for the navbar.

No prob. Yeah I remember I did not exactly use the numbers from that post. I customized them for my needs.

I think you will like the gesture app. Never failed and you gained screen real estate. Just teach your wife some of the basic ones. For instance, I have one that makes google map goes automatically into 'driving mode' just with one gesture. No need to press multiple buttons and stuff.

At the beginning, I was going to make a fancy home screen that you see in some cars, but then I abandoned that idea after I began using gmd.

Just curious - any advantage to getting the LTE Nexus? Can it be added to an AT&T prepaid plan where we never use all the data, to do things like nav? Or surf the web when NOT DRIVING?

Also, does the OTG cable/hub work to attach extra storage? SSD attached to USB adapter? If so, getting the 16GB version shouldn't be that bad, right?

I have two 16gb USB drives on a small hub off my 16gb nexus 7 (2013), works great!