LegacyGT.com

Choosing Summer Tires... Help?

Turkeylord

So here's my cart at tire rack, lol...

http://i.imgur.com/EqWlRLn.png

So far, I'm leaning heavily towards the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. Dry grip won't be quite as good as the others, but I'm sure it will be light years ahead of my old Cooper all-seasons. It's the lightest of the bunch at 20# each, has the highest treadwear rating @ 340 (I know it's relative), and is also the cheapest by far. Reviews say the tire is very quiet, which is also a plus for me. Versus my old setup, I'll be dropping almost 8# per corner. :wub:

Other random thoughts:

I like that the BFGs are made in the US.

Star Specs are probably too noisy for me.

Love the Ventus R-S3 tread pattern the most.

Anything I'm missing?

I was in the same predicament. I ended up going with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Car and Driver did some testing on an autocross course and the Super Sport was posting lap times in the same territory as the Extreme Summer tires. However, it's about as light and comfortable as the Continental DW.

My set should be arriving torromow.

I really liked the set of KDW2's I had. They were noisy, but that didn't bother me too much compared to the performance gain.

I've heard very good things about the RS3's.

If I were you though, I'd probably be going with the Conti's or as Nsane said Michelin Pilot SS's. My car is a DD, not going to the track.

• I Donated

What are you going to be using them for? If autoX is in there, the Z2 will be phenomenal. I have the Z1 and they're not very noisy. I've never run them but have heard the KDW2 are noisy.

Don't get the RS3, scary in the wet. Take a look at the Hankook ventus v12, great for DD with the occasional autocross. You probably won't see the limit of those on the street.

• I Donated
No autoX, but I will be back to the drag strip. Don't need all-out cornering grip at the expense of treadwear & noise. I'll check out the Ventus V12.

Thanks for the advice so far guys :)

There's currently an $80 rebate on four ventus v12s purchased before June 30th I think. They're cheap to begin with so this is even better.

Wow they have come down in price in a year too. I paid about $120 more pre-rebate pricing last year for the same size v12s (tempting to order up a set of 235/45R17s)! I know you mentioned the weight, but also consider the load index and speed rating are better with the V12 (to go along with more weight). 94Y vs. 91W with the DWs.

I'm tracking on my V12, wishing I had RS3...

I don't think you should get RS3 for DD action...

Last year when I was ready to replace the A/S I had been running in the summer with a real summer tire I was ready to get a set of V12's but they aren't made in 225/55 17. Because I had to make a decision on the spot without further research I ended up with a set of Hankook v4's, which are listed as A/S but have a tread pattern very similar to the RS3's. My car is a DD and I've been super happy with these, especially in wet conditions, which is why I'm commenting, being as despite the similar tread pattern there is apparently some sort of significant difference between the tread on the V4 and RS3 if they perform so differently on wet roads.

Wow they have come down in price in a year too. I paid about $120 more pre-rebate pricing last year for the same size v12s (tempting to order up a set of 235/45R17s)! I know you mentioned the weight, but also consider the load index and speed rating are better with the V12 (to go along with more weight). 94Y vs. 91W with the DWs.

I'm with Catalyst. Load rating is part of my evaluation in a tire. I'm willing to sacrifice a little weight in order to get a higher load & speed rating. In my experience the higher load rating usually has to do with the sidewall construction. Friends have told me the DW's are great, but that they have a soft sidewall due to the lower load rating. I also roll a sightly taller tire 225/45/17 so a stiffer sidewall is important to me.

Brother in law just put Pilot SS on his infiniti. He has a smile on his face everytime he walks in. They are super quiet I agree.

I'm with Catalyst. Load rating is part of my evaluation in a tire. I'm willing to sacrifice a little weight in order to get a higher load & speed rating. In my experience the higher load rating usually has to do with the sidewall construction. Friends have told me the DW's are great, but that they have a soft sidewall due to the lower load rating. I also roll a sightly taller tire 225/45/17 so a stiffer sidewall is important to me.

Brother in law just put Pilot SS on his infiniti. He has a smile on his face everytime he walks in. They are super quiet I agree.

:yeahthat:

I think that's what it's coming down to. DW gets the nod for ride comfort, PSS for ultimate handling.

Decisions, decisions...

BBSs got dropped off at the powder coater yesterday, I better make up my mind soon. :)

I run KDW IIs on my Camaro! - They are really a good tire - Great Dry Traction and they actually work in the wet.... I'm able to launch at 1/4 Throttle and get just a little wheel spin, and they have shown any hint of hydroplaning the few times I've had to drive in the rain.:cool:

FYI - 275/35/18s for size

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, and here I had been thinking that I'd go PS A/S Plus, but after some Tire Rack reviews, I think I'm going PSS inside of 2 weeks... They should go on sale at Costco 5/7 or so for $70 off a set of 4, which makes them $193.49 a tire...

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm, and here I had been thinking that I'd go PS A/S Plus, but after some Tire Rack reviews, I think I'm going PSS inside of 2 weeks... They should go on sale at Costco 5/7 or so for $70 off a set of 4, which makes them $193.49 a tire...
You just missed the sale at tirerack.com, but even at their regular price you're still way better off.

The 215/45-17 is only $144 ea.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=145YR7PSSXL&tab=Sizes

Archived