LegacyGT.com

Can you transport a surfboard in a kayak rack?

tdoggydog

Okay, I have two bike racks on my car rack, mounted as far out to the sides as possible. I may be picking up a SUP soon, and if using crossbar pads, I only have at an absolute max - 28" available.

My question is, since most SUP's are at least 30-31" wide, can I just pick up a kayak rack - like the raised styile or J-style - and mount the SUP in that? Obviously, I'll be using sufficient tie down strapping.

And yes, I can take the bike racks off, but it's a pain, and I'd like to have all 3 (my bike, my wife's bike, and the SUP) for random trips.

Surfers - thoughts?

Well I dont know if it'll fit, but I'll say this about SUP boarders. Please dont take this the wrong way...

Mostly shortboarders and longboarders dont like each other, it's mostly because shortboarders dont like it when longboarders take all the waves. Not much of an issue at beachbreaks since there are plenty of peaks along the beach, but at point breaks you can feel the negativity.

When this whole SUP thing got popular shortboarders and longboarders were united in their hate for SUP guys since they can now get into waves before everyone else. At least now the longboarders have someone they can point to as being wave hogs...

Long story short if your out in the lineup with your SUP, dont be that guy who everyone is gonna wanna hate by taking all the waves. I think they have a place in San Onofre just for SUP guys because of the drama...

I live in HB and have been surfing all my life and besides the guys who come to the cliffs trying to catch waves on their kayaks I havent seen so much stink eye towards a group of waterman...

Archived