LegacyGT.com

Purolator Oil Filters

We won't discuss how much better OEM is, because of the run of OTC (Over The Counter) Subie filters that collapsed, discussed elsewhere.

When I did my first oil change on our '06 2.5i, no catalogs listed '06 yet. So, knowing there were no significant changes from '05, I used the '05 part, which Purolator/Pur1 listed as PL14460 (same as for our old '98, BTW). Slightly larger diameter than the OEM that came from the factory, but it fit. So I've used those ever since.

I had forgotten that number the other day, so I looked it up in the tattered catalog at AutoZone, & bought the PL14612 listed for '06. Which somehow seemed familiar, & looked smaller when I pulled it out.

Yep. Familiar all right - same as my Miata's!

So- purolator lists PL14460 for '05 non-turbo 4-cyl, and PL14612 for '05 turbo and all '06 4-cyl. Odd.

Anyone else using the larger PL14460 instead of the dinky PL14612?

(edited to show 4-cyl - 6's are another story)

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I use the PureOne filters exclusively. I swear my oil looks cleaner after 3k than with a Subie filter. I use the PL14460 also.

Plus it's got a pretty blue metallic paint job on it!

BTW, I have been using them for over 40K now.

There's another thread somewhere on using the 6-cyl's filter, which is even larger. Due to the header routing, that may apply only to the turbo.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Well, today or tomorrow, I'm putting another PL14460 in. I use a cup-style wrench because of the lack of clearance, which makes it difficult to get even my scrawny hand in.

Heck, I may start using the 14460 on the Miata.

I just use the WalMart filter now, which was speculated to be a purolator at one point.

Anyone know if this is the case. WalMart= Purolator. I think somewhere I saw that the walmart filter tests out to be a pretty good unit.

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that Subaru engineers specifically selected the narrower (14612) filter for the turbo engines. The the wider (14460) edges too close to the UP - increasing the risk of oil sludging.

Combine that with the recent news of the banjo oil filters getting plugged by sludge and I would stick to the narrow filter.

Archived