LegacyGT.com

replacing the timing belt ?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done two of these now... not a bad job at all. The vice-grip trick works like a charm.

On both jobs, I've had to replace an idler pulley.... a different one each time.

I'm not posititive on how bad or good my Idler's were, but since I had the FBP full kit I did all the pulleys, the WP and the tensioner with the belt.

• 2 weeks later...

Top Dead Center... Not to sound like a dick, but how good is your car knowledge? If you've never heard of TDC the I would ask around for a helping hand in doing the timing belt if you really don't want to take it to a dealer for service.

I didn't find the timing belt hard to do, but it is an indepth process for a DIY project.

• 3 weeks later...
A little trick to remove the crank pulley is not to use a pulley holder. Instead use the torque of the starter motor to break the bolt loose since it's on at around 120ft.lbs. Use the socket (22mm iirc) and a breaker bar to turn the engine until the end of the breaker bar touches the floor. Then bump the key and turn the engine over. The pulley will clockwise but the bolt will stay stationary and break loose from the torque. Reinstallation will be easy with an MT car since you can lock it in 5th gear and pull the e-brake. An auto trans will require a prybar to hold the teeth of the flexplate when the pulley is torqued.

This worked great! Why not 1st gear with e-brake for tightening?

To break the crank bolt loose, I put a couple large screwdrivers in the access hole for the flywheel / trans case on the top of the motor. Those screwdrivers held the motor/trans in place nicely so that I could break loose the crank bolt.

Where is this exactly? Top of the motor???

There are two sets of timing marks painted on the cam pulleys. White and red. They are about 1/2 inch apart and the factory indent is between them but not splitting the difference. Seems to me that this would indicate that the belt has been changed twice before (one set for each belt change). At 131k this makes sense right? Why would any marks need be painted on though? When cam gear is TDC, both cam pulleys are also TDC (both sets of marks are offset). The belt is OEM (Subaru printed), looks almost the same as the new Gates and I can still clearly read much of the white printing although there is some cream clouding towards the center of the flat side of the belt (indicating wear or maybe just smudging the print?). At least one of the idlers has play (I'm replacing all three).

I am replacing the tensioner - it appears to have some discoloration just outside the blue ring (rust?) and also appears oily/wet in the well on top where the pin goes.

I don't subscribe to the "water pump must be changed with the timing belt" mentality.

Can someone explain why this is a rule of thumb?

I just took the belt off last night and have all parts off/out. The timing belt looks almost the same as the new Gates out of the box (read more below) and I think I could even reuse the water pump gasket - that's how new the pump itself seems. The pump idler feels just like the new one as well. The gasket popped right off. Coolant is immaculate BTW. I'm tempted to just put the pump back on and return the new one I got. I'd only be saving ~$100. What's the danger if water pump fails first?

This is a 2.5i BTW.

• 1 month later...
You do not have to remove the radiator to do a T-belt, only remove the fans and place the wiring connectors out of the way. After that the accessory belts are straightforward and you do not have to remove any accessories to access the timing cover.

A little trick to remove the crank pulley is not to use a pulley holder. Instead use the torque of the starter motor to break the bolt loose since it's on at around 120ft.lbs. Use the socket (22mm iirc) and a breaker bar to turn the engine until the end of the breaker bar touches the floor. Then bump the key and turn the engine over. The pulley will clockwise but the bolt will stay stationary and break loose from the torque. Reinstallation will be easy with an MT car since you can lock it in 5th gear and pull the e-brake. An auto trans will require a prybar to hold the teeth of the flexplate when the pulley is torqued.

The T-belt is easy enough, just make sure you line up your timing marks at TDC before you take the old one off. Take a picture to remind yourself incase one of the pullies gets bumped off. I recommend replacing the tensioner and do not compress the piston quickly as the silicone fluid can leak and cause failure. Using a small cotter pin to hold the piston it is the best tool. After the belt is in correctly and the tensioner is bolted down, pull the pin out and the piston will extend outward and apply tension to the bolt. Make sure you crank the engine over by hand a few times to make sure everything is in time.

does putting it into fifth gear change if you have a six speed?

• 2 weeks later...
WELL after doing this and failing miserably because I also had to do the cam seals, I have some great advice. If you do not have the proper tools to LOCK the cam sprockets in place you will be screwed, with that said if your not venturing to do the cam seals then go for it, just make sure everything is lined up

• 1 month later...

I finally did mine this weekend. I replaced everything except the water pump. I rotated the engine by hand and found where it was relaxed then I clamped the drivers side cams with a vice grips. After that it was smooth sailing. I took my time -slow motion- and was super careful.

The old belt:

http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/images/9a7iq2um5dxzi7cufstf.jpg

Edited by mars_volta

WELL after doing this and failing miserably because I also had to do the cam seals, I have some great advice. If you do not have the proper tools to LOCK the cam sprockets in place you will be screwed, with that said if your not venturing to do the cam seals then go for it, just make sure everything is lined up

I did a sohc motor without the tools to position the cam, and that was possible. You can get it to work, it's just a bit tricky to get them to where you need them without a belt on them... Get a guy with three hands to help ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Mega Users

I have 66k on my car, and will be doing this around 100k. I'm doing my homework now at work as we have literally nothing to do. I figure if I can do plugs, I can do this. I've read thru both forums back to back by max and pyro and I have a few questions.

I'm trying to get the science down on this. From the compression inside the engine, it will cause the intake/exhaust cams to move when the belt is removed? This is why we put the vice grips on, clamping the upper and lower cam together before removing the belt? Do we do this to just the drivers side, or both sides before removing the belt?

Ok so say I got the belt off. Now I gotta line all the marks up. Well if we viced both the driver and passeger side cams together, shouldn't those marks still be lines up? Lets say they arent, some members said once they removed the tensioner the cams slipped a little. Or maybe the markings on the belt arent lining up all the way around, so we have to move the cams a little (does the belt in the kit from FBP have marks on it?) Which way can you turn cams, drivers side/ passenger side, upper/lower, without bending the valves?

Which one is the intake/exhaust cam? top/bottom?

I would like to replace the hoses and acc belts while I'm in there as well. I'm buying the fred beans t-belt kit including water pump, i'll buy the t-stat and gasket too. Are there such thing as hose-kits?

I know a lot of you are probably thinking "another idiot trying a DIY project that won't get finished." This is very do-able, everything is understandable until i get to the cams. I may not be an auto mechanic, but I'm not an idiot! I just want to make sure I understand everything before I remove the t-belt, and how to adjust the cams properly if I need to.

Thanks!

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Hi, got your PM.

First off I would not buy the parts until your ready to do this job.

I didn't worry about the timing marks on the new belt, it doesn't care where it goes on.

Intake is on top, exhuast is on the bottom.

Once you get the crank and cams lined up on TDC, it will be easy to get them back to TDC if one moves. I remember having to do that.

Just make sure the cams are lined up at TDC before you put the belt on.

You only need to clamp one side. I just used the C clamp, block of wood and Ford wrench.

We're kind of slow here at Hamilton too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I used a small pair of vice grips... Just go very easy on the pressure... it is only a composite pulley and can crack if you crank down too hard on it.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/3400modified/Leggy/IMG_6632.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/3400modified/Leggy/IMG_6630.jpg

• 7 months later...

i need to get this done as cheaply as possible. Do these look right? One is an off brand one is the gates complete kit with water pump. I compared part and manufacturers numbers and they seem to match. comparatively the gates complete from fbp is 345. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Turbo-EJ25-DOHC-Timing-Belt-Kit-GMB-Water-Pump-/260702738463?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cb318181f#ht_3027wt_954

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GATES-TCKWP328-Subaru-Legacy-Impreza-Forester-Turbo-Timing-Belt-w-Water-Pump-Kit-/110789771521?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19cb95c101#ht_1724wt_1187

Edited by instantfury