LegacyGT.com

5EAT 2-3 shift slip: mechanical issue or relearning issue?

So I've been recently having a delayed shift into 3rd gear. It tends to be more noticeable when you open up on the throttle a bit more.

I've tried the relearn procedure using FreeSSM, and it kinda felt like it worked at first (though I left the AC on, against the original relearn instructions). But after a while I noticed it happening again, with the tachometer going up 200-300 RPM before it feels 3rd engages.

I also will admit that during 2 separate occasions, I idiotically thought I was in manumatic, shifting into neutral while thinking I was upshifting then shifting back to drive, both times at around 35 MPH. I was concerned that this may have damaged the transmission, though I've been told that the TCU should be able to react to such a situation without damage.

So what should I do? Try a relearn again, making sure the AC is off? Start shopping for another tranny? Or do I need go get it checked out? If so, by a tranny shop or by a dealership? And any dealership, or the one I got my car from, since there's may be a bit of the CPO warranty left? The only problem is the dealership I got it from is kinda far.

Any help and thoughts are appreciated (and thank you all, in advance).

200-300 rpm raise is normal.

the accidently going to neutral isnt soo bad. just be sure to let the engine calm down before putting it back into drive.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• 1 month later...
So I've been recently having a delayed shift into 3rd gear. It tends to be more noticeable when you open up on the throttle a bit more.

I've tried the relearn procedure using FreeSSM, and it kinda felt like it worked at first (though I left the AC on, against the original relearn instructions). But after a while I noticed it happening again, with the tachometer going up 200-300 RPM before it feels 3rd engages.

I also will admit that during 2 separate occasions, I idiotically thought I was in manumatic, shifting into neutral while thinking I was upshifting then shifting back to drive, both times at around 35 MPH. I was concerned that this may have damaged the transmission, though I've been told that the TCU should be able to react to such a situation without damage.

So what should I do? Try a relearn again, making sure the AC is off? Start shopping for another tranny? Or do I need go get it checked out? If so, by a tranny shop or by a dealership? And any dealership, or the one I got my car from, since there's may be a bit of the CPO warranty left? The only problem is the dealership I got it from is kinda far.

Any help and thoughts are appreciated (and thank you all, in advance).

What are the original re-learn instructions? Or is there a link I can see? Thanks.

its in the subaru service manual.

something about accelerating with the throttle at 15% or something.

but just driving around should make it learn anyways

i have noticed an issue with mine, when cold it bangs into second from first, a noticable hard shift... usually when under medium accel. i have changed fluid out, just a drain and fill,no filter, fluid looked real good, changed out at 55k. anyone else have this issue? now have 60k. does not do it in summer, i try not to drive as much as possible in winter. keeping er nice. thanks for any info

i have noticed an issue with mine, when cold it bangs into second from first, a noticable hard shift... usually when under medium accel. i have changed fluid out, just a drain and fill,no filter, fluid looked real good, changed out at 55k. anyone else have this issue? now have 60k. does not do it in summer, i try not to drive as much as possible in winter. keeping er nice. thanks for any info

yea they all do that. you can get around it by shifting to 2nd manually just after you start moving or before. but its not that its a super bad thing.

^ when its cold out and its the first time it shifts to 2nd it takes a while.

yes it also does this too, but some times under medium acceleration when i up shift it does shift to second from first. its rare but it it does enough to bother me

^ yes if you put it that way. Every once in a while when manually shifting from first to second it will not shift whether its on the steering wheel buttons or the shift stick. I have to shift up again once I notice it's climbed higher than 500 rpms or else it will hit the rev limiter as you said.

^ yes if you put it that way. Every once in a while when manually shifting from first to second it will not shift whether its on the steering wheel buttons or the shift stick. I have to shift up again once I notice it's climbed higher than 500 rpms or else it will hit the rev limiter as you said.

this is but you mean up at like 5500 rpms .. you hit the buttin and nothing happens ? or happens slowly ?

from first to 2nd i have to hit the button at like 5000 rpms. for it to shift at 6500. there is almost a second delay . and this is common with all stock subaru automatics. does this decribe what your issue is ?

this is but you mean up at like 5500 rpms .. you hit the buttin and nothing happens ? or happens slowly ?

from first to 2nd i have to hit the button at like 5000 rpms. for it to shift at 6500. there is almost a second delay . and this is common with all stock subaru automatics. does this decribe what your issue is ?

sorta! lol well it hasnt done it to me recently since i dont drive it much because it needs an alignment and my lca bushing is torn

kind of need to do both. the valve body mod raises availiable pressure and larger orafices to fow faster to the clutches. and the tcm will allow it to shift when called upon.

Archived