LegacyGT.com

can some body try this.

I was thinking of ways to disable the abs with out having all the cel lights come on ...

could some one disconnect the brake light switch and see if the abs still works .. i am 3000 miles away from my car co i can't try it and i'm curious

i have a few other ideas ..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why would you want to disable abs? in most new vehicles the abs control module is involved in fairly complicated wiring schematics and is not something you can just disconnect with out affecting some other area of the vehicles' systems.

i f******** hate abs .. i know you can remouve the fuse to turn it off .. but then cruise don't work any more ... all the lights are flashing .. arg ...

i have been looking at the abs module i/o signals . the signal from the brake swtich goes to the rear lights and to the ecm .. if the ecm one is interupted with a switch .. the car won't know that your slaming on the breaks. and thus the abs won't activate. if this is the case everything els will function normally and you can have a switch for abs on or off that you can turn on and off at any time .

i would like if some one could simply reach under, un plug the break switch and try it .

i'm away on an installation for work .. i will try it when i get home i was hoping some body will try it cuz i'm bored and want to do some learning. and disconecting the break switch is not gonna damage any thing.

oh i stand corrected .. you could potentially flat spot your tires!

LOL!

Agreed! Why would I potentially cause damage to my car? Honestly go and try it on your car and if it works great!

You're bored so you're hoping someone will try it and you want to do some learning? So do it yourself! Maybe that way you will learn.

ok never mind .. you guys are jsut a bunch of tools ..

I know that's what we come across as, but what you're saying isn't much stupider than saying that seat belts REALLY annoy you... or airbags. Unless you're driving a track car or an off-road vehicle, there is absolutely no reason for you to disable ABS.

Why does it annoy you? You shouldn't be locking your tires unless you're driving like an idiot. And if you're driving on snow and ice, then disabling ABS is quite simply retarded. I take my car out drifting around the neighborhood every time we get any snow or ice, and I love driving in adverse conditions, AND I consider myself a VERY competent driver. But I'm still not stupid enough to even consider driving a car without ABS on real roads. If anything, it shows a blatant disregard for the safety of others.

While I don't think disabling the ABS is a good idea -- the liability issues alone are truly frightening -- and I'm not about to do it to my cars, there are situations, such as loose snow and gravel, where actually locking up the brakes can be helpful.

Folks who take their vehicles off-road are among those who are motivated to deal with the issue, and one solution for Subarus was presented on an Outback site: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7764.

Be aware that the switch turns off the ABS until the car is re-started -- it doesn't provide a true off-on capability. HPH

I know I sound like a tool for leaving the factory installed safety devices intact in my car... but let's think about it for a second. Now, I'm no mechanic or engineer, but removing a fuse that tells your car about how your brakes are functioning sounds like a bad idea. Will the brake lights still work? Will it cause another fuse to blow? What if someone tries this, goes out on the road to test their now turned off ABS system by slamming their brakes, thus inducing wheel lock-up and understeer, and causes a collision...

But yeah, I'm a tool...

However, a cursory Google search netted me a lot of information you may be looking for, not only on NASIOC but also other offroad enthusiast websites.

Not to sound like a dick, but can't you try to unplug things on your own car instead of asking others to potentially damage theirs?

:whore:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

When I used to have a WRX I installed a switch to disable the ABS. I used to turn off the system when the roads were very slippery (ice or very deep snow) because in these conditions the ABS was downright dangerous because it overreacted all the time and at least doubled the stopping distance when compared to ABS off. So in that case disabling the ABS would be justified.

However, the ABS fuse in the LGT is in the engine compartment so it is much more complicated to make a switch for it because you'd have to run wires through the firewall. Fortunately, the ABS isn't as bad in the LGT for some reason. But I'd still like to make myself a switch if there was an easy and safe way to do it.

When I used to have a WRX I installed a switch to disable the ABS. I used to turn off the system when the roads were very slippery (ice or very deep snow) because in these conditions the ABS was downright dangerous because it overreacted all the time and at least doubled the stopping distance when compared to ABS off. So in that case disabling the ABS would be justified.

However, the ABS fuse in the LGT is in the engine compartment so it is much more complicated to make a switch for it because you'd have to run wires through the firewall. Fortunately, the ABS isn't as bad in the LGT for some reason. But I'd still like to make myself a switch if there was an easy and safe way to do it.

exactly ... what i want .. i have been driving for a long damm time in cars with no abs in winter on snow mobile trails .. i know how to drive with out abs and the times the legacy would jsut not stop becasue of the stupid abs. some times its good .. like if i let my mom drive it .. why is it so much to ask for some one to quickly unplug it drive it down a small side street slam on the breaks .. see if it does its stupid thing .. and plug it back in and tell me ... people who like your abs fine good for you your only a few steps away from getting some one els to drive the car for you ..

yea exactly .. i'm always yanking the hand break to get the wheels to lock up so i don't roll through intersections

and abs is only shorter stoping distances for the " average" driver ..

Your CEL light and everything light up if you pull your ABS fuse? I get ABS, VDC off, and the Brake light. I can still use Cruise Control, and no CEL is illuminated.

And yes, I hate ABS in the rain, it's too sensitive. I pulled my ABS fuse to check if a start up noise was due to the ABS system and it was. But during that time with ABS off, the brakes felt so much better, like I actually had control of them with my foot.

On the other hand, VDC + ABS is remarkable on ice. I tried to get the car to step out on an icy right turn, and all it did was neatly keep me in line as I was countersteering. It just felt awesome.

There are times when I don't like ABS, but those little times do not justify me pulling the fuse permanently or making a switch to do it. VDC is very useful.

yea exactly .. i'm always yanking the hand break to get the wheels to lock up so i don't roll through intersections

and abs is only shorter stoping distances for the " average" driver ..

If you need to yank the handbrake in order to keep from "ABSing" into intersections, then you're driving way too fast for the given road conditions. No matter which way you spin it, I still don't see this as intelligent. You should never be driving so fast as to NEED to lock up your wheels to stop in time.

That having been said, maybe Subaru did get a bit too aggressive with the ABS system in their newer cars - I wouldn't know. I know on my car it doesn't kick in until you reach the slipping point... but maybe on newer cars it kicks in earlier?

If you need to yank the handbrake in order to keep from "ABSing" into intersections, then you're driving way too fast for the given road conditions. No matter which way you spin it, I still don't see this as intelligent. You should never be driving so fast as to NEED to lock up your wheels to stop in time.

I see it the other way, ABS shouldn't be so shitty that locking your wheels stops you faster. I thought the point of ABS was to make you stop as fast as possible.

Now I understand that ABS prioritizes turning over stopping. blah, blah, blah. But in a straight line, it has no reason to take longer than locking your wheels.

I've learned one thing with the legacy's ABS system. If you are on snow or something slippery and you stomp on the brakes they do suck and it doesnt stop fast. If you ease onto the brakes the car actually stops very fast.

and if you need to stomp on your brakes to stop at the intersection then yes you are a fool on the road and you need to learn how to drive. slooooooow down.

I've learned one thing with the legacy's ABS system. If you are on snow or something slippery and you stomp on the brakes they do suck and it doesnt stop fast. If you ease onto the brakes the car actually stops very fast.

and if you need to stomp on your brakes to stop at the intersection then yes you are a fool on the road and you need to learn how to drive. slooooooow down.

you calling me a fool? LOL. just kiddin'

I usually take it pretty easy when I drive, my car is old so I don't need to beat on it. But there are times when I have to stop in a hurry and the ABS pisses me off.

Archived