LegacyGT.com

Am I too picky in what I'm searching for?

ferrariowner123

Hey guys, I'm new around here, im 20 years old, currently driving a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder and really love this car, but its time to move on to something a little more practical and mainly something new.

And after a while of searching and narrowing down what i want, i have decided that i want a Subaru Legacy, more specifically a Legacy GT Wagon.

I have always LOVED wagons, and really find the 2005-2009 body style, absolutely GORGEOUS. But my questions is:

Am i searching for something that really isn't going to exist? I specifically want a 2005-2009 Legacy GT Wagon, SWP, with a 5 speed (i want black interior, but id settle for tan)

Now i know the wagons are rare enough, add 5 speed and its get toward as rare as seeing an Enzo, with SWP on top of that, i know I'm trying to basically looking for a unicorn.

So should i not be so picky, or should i just keep my nose to the ground? I just want to know that I'm not wasting my time.

My budget is 11-13K and I'm not super picky on miles, 05 wagons seem to pop up with about 100-125K on the ODO.

Thanks guys, really diggin the forum and all of the Modifications you can do to a legacy (I'm coming from a tiny aftermarket support for my pathfinder :lol: )

-Kyle

Well if you're looking for a wagon with a manual tranny, you're limited to 2005s. Wagons were only available with ATs 2006+.

2005 production numbers

There were 61 wagons made in white, with a tan interior and manual transmission. There were 48 with black leather and a manual transmission. And those production numbers were from USA and Canada combined.

If you must have a wagon and a manual tranny, I'd suggest you consider a few other colors.

If you drop the manual requirement, you'll have a lot more options. I've read that the autos on these cars are pretty good. There's a sport mode, and there are some mods to increase the shift speed.

Also, I like autotempest.com - it's a search aggregator.

Are you willing to travel? If so, then you can probably wait. If not, then you'll likely never see one.

What are you willing to give up on?

5-speed GT wagon is 2005 only.

GT wagon is 2005-2007 (-2009 if you include Outback)

How important is the color?

How important is the condition?

A quick cars.com search turned up a single blue GT wagon in MN. There's probably a new one posted every few weeks.

There were a total of 179 SWP MT GT wagons produced, good luck.

Yeah, i've been searching around, and it was only after posting this that i found the production numbers, DOH

So i know the severity of the situation, but i am fairly flexible on color, and more than willing to ship and travel to get a car. If I'm gonna get another car its gonna be what i want.

So at a minimum, it has to be a manual wagon, and those do pop up fairly frequently, and if absolutely have to have white (which i dont, just really like that color) changing the color is always an option, (but i doubt i would do that)

Alright, i guess i just needed to hear it from somebody else.

Thanks for the help guys.

-Kyle

P.S. Thanks stm25rs for auto tempest, its super helpful, and i was able to find an SWP wagon manual.

I'm happy to help. I'm in kind of the same boat....looking for an 05-07 sedan, GRP, SWP, or RBG, strongly prefer tan interior, must be manual.

I've been window shopping for a couple months to feel out the market, and it's just slim pickings all around. Like you, I have a good car now, and I want my next car to be exactly what I want. I've been ready to buy for a couple weeks now, and haven't found many worth investigating further, but I am looking at one this weekend that looks promising.

Good luck in your search!

• Moderators

I'm getting into a 5MT OBXT next week (in lieu of my current 05 LGT wagon with a 5EAT). My focus was more on condition than anything else, so when I found a gem I bit on it. Opening yourself up to the idea of looking for an outback and lowering it will give you a few more options. The real differences between the LGT and OBXT is in the brakes, suspension, and some body spacers, bolts, etc. A really aggressive drop on an OBXT will certainly require a few tweeks to keep the suspension geometry in tact, but it's not impossible.

Personally, I'd rather have an OBXT in great shape with low miles and deal with a few suspension headaches than have an LGT in mediocre condition.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Personally, I'd rather have an OBXT in great shape with low miles and deal with a few suspension headaches than have an LGT in mediocre condition.

^This for sure.

Also OP, although I want to get this car myself, check this out:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ca-socal-san-diego-05-legacy-gt-wagon-5sp-200810.html

You can search far and wide, but simply there just aren't many available with your criteria. One of the problems with traveling to buy a car is you've already made an emotional and monetary investment, so you might overlook the problems that the car might have.

o god not a body kit

Relax, I've got some clean ideas, Naylors Legacy is my real inspiration. Assuming the legacy and outback parts fit each other.

Plus to each his own bro.

if you get an OBXT just make sure you have the money leftover to lower it, looks lame as hell stock IMO

Yeah, that's the only thing that bugging me is what i have to do to get a good starting platform, that's why i kinda want to stick to a legacy. Its a good idea, ill definitely keep it in mind when i search for a new rig.

Never give up on your dream car dude.

I've been looking at this one for awhile, but I think you would be a lot happier with it then me

'05 SWP 5spd turbo wagon, black leather interior ..comes with specB rims too

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2005-Subaru-Legacy-GT-Limited-Wagon-W0QQAdIdZ418727998

If your willing to travel and do a bit of paper work it could be yours

..... yeah I'm just going to pretend you didn't ask if we drove LHD ....

WOW great find dude, Thanks

What are you looking for? EDIT: I see your looking for a spec b, any particular one?

My only concern with that is rust. but super low miles, and looks to be well taken care of.

and yes, I'm going to own up to that, i don't know why i thought Canadians would be RHD.

And the cluster would be metric i assume? That be sweet, i'd rock that in the states.

Thanks for the find.

-Kyle

No problem man

I would love a clean '07 but they're so rare in Canada

Rust may be an issue in Ontario, but just ask the guy for some underbody shots to find out

Yeah it would have a metric cluster with imperial in small print. If I were to get an American car with the Large imperial markings I might even have an excuse for speeding so much :rolleyes: haha

Well I hope everything works out good for you and your dream LGT, good luck dude!

Thanks again just need funds and a co-signer, being 20 with no credit really sucks!!

And i wish you success on your search, you'll find it, and it will be some babied grandma car, haha

And that speeding excuse could work, i more just dont want to deal with having to roll back miles.

but thanks again and now that i have seen a few of the ones i want out there, i know ill come across the right one.

-Kyle

Archived