LegacyGT.com

Very Loose Steering 99' Legacy

I have been fighting this for a while, I have a 99' legacy 30th aniversary edition sedan. The steering is loose and has a mind of its own, it has the worst bump steer I have ever felt. When I try to switch lanes it jerks to the side when I get into the next lane and I have to overcorrect to keep myself from going off the road. I have had multiple alignments from multiple shops and all have said that nothing seems to be wrong. They have check all bushings, bearings, and any connections. I replaced my shocks as they had no rebound and that has made no to little difference. I dont know where to go everything seems tight. It rattles terribly when I go over bumps and the steering has no feel and is very numb. Its too bad because when I first got this car it was a blast to drive, and I need to get it back to that as I drive 100 miles a day back and fourth to school. I just dont know where to go any suggestions will help.

Thanks!

I had a similar problem on mine, it was the U-joint that connects the steering column to thesteering rack that was loose on one of the joints and was aalso starting to seize. Its located kinda below the brake fluid tank, under the hose. To check it, put your hand on it and have someone wiggle the steering wheel left and right. You should be able to feel the loose. Still I wonder how a shop would have not seen that if you had it checked.

Yeah, it definitely sounds like if all the obvious linkages are correct, then it's probably an issue related to the steering column. That's not something they would always check (though I would think if you'd explained the problem to them, they might have thought to give it a look.) What Gargamel stated is a good starting point. If everything in the suspension is tight, and you are absolutely certain of it, there isn't much else left to cause the problem other than something in the steering column/rack. That's about all the info I can really offer though.

I could not feel much play either, but I figured that even the slightest play could have big impact on your steering. Imagine your steering turning a 1/4 of a full turn, with that much turn you can do a 90 degrees turn, even more. Now imagine yourself on the highwaym when you have a loose in the steering, how much of a full turn does the wheel really turn in your "blind spot" where it is loose?

For myself I figure you dont want any play at all on that piece. I'd start with that. Also for references, when I was testing my U-joint and wiggling the steering left and right fast, I could hear a little "toc" each time and we could feel while holding the u-joint. Either this one or the other one underneath the dash, but since this one doesnt see rain and such, I don't think its this one that would go bad.

Hope this can help you.

I have never checked the carfax for accident history, but I bought the car over a year ago and this issue didnt start till about 7 months ago. The problem seemed to come out of nowhere but then has gotten gradually worst over time. I agree that even a small amount of play would have a big impact, I agree I should replace it because it seemed to 'move' more than I would like. But my real question is would this problem cause my toe to be very far out of spec. even after only driving for two weeks, and would this make my tires wear so bad on the inside on both sides of my car that I burnt through a perfectly good set of summer tires over 4 months without driving hard? I really appreciate all of your input... Thanks!

if your tires are wearing on the inside the camber is out or toe maybe.

who aligned it? take it back and watch them do the work. all 4 corners need to be in the green. there is some alignment computer software out there that incorrectly thinks that the front has no camber adjustment bolts. it indicates that after market cam kits are needed. the dumb a$$ tech does not know any better and believes the computer software is correct. and then your tires wear out and your steering is sloppy.

take it back. make them do it right while you watch. make sure all 4 corners are in the green. make them do it for free and make them replace the worn out tires, all of them. and make them refund any and all money you spent on alignments.

if the alignment is correct, then something is bent. but if the alignment is correct i don't see how the tires will wear wrong.

did you take it to a front end shop for the alignment or to a firestone or merchants type chain store?

Its the toe that is continually out, the rest of the measurments are fine. I have had it aligned at 3 places and I cant go after any because the tires were wearing before I came in and had an alignment done, they didnt do anything to the car they were trying to be part of the solution. I have looked at all three sheets and when they are done with the alignment all three specs are green on each wheel. I watched them do all four corners on the last one at VIP and they did it all right and he checked everything. I think something is bent or moving after the alignment is done and that is what is throwing the toe off. I took it to subaru city subaru, then subaru, then vip. They should all know what they are doing and it seems a bit sketchy no one can figure it out!

the steering rack aint worn? like has a lot of slop? my buddys had super old atf in the power steering and it caused the steering to have alot of play. it drives fine but you can turn the wheel about 2 inches before the pinion will contact the rack while turning back and forth.. also having wrong/low/shitty power steering fluid would not help. i flush my power steering at least every 6-8 thousand miles.

Archived