LegacyGT.com

97 2.2 cold start problems--please help!

This seems like a great forum, I was hoping somebody out there could help me out. I have a 97 2.2 Legacy Brighton wagon with 130k. For the first 5 minutes or so it has no power at all. No backfire or engine noise or engine lights, but it's scary getting out into traffic. step on the gas and it just falls on it's face, hardly wants to move. Once it warms up to operating temp it runs just fine.

I did recently have a misfire code which plugs and wires and filters cured. Timing belt and gears have less than 10k on them. Have tried cleaning up the throttle body and tested with a basic OBD 2 scanner, looks like everything is working, goes right into closed loop, coolant temp reacting normal, etc.

Any guidance/ideas are welcome! Thanks!

This seems like a great forum, I was hoping somebody out there could help me out. I have a 97 2.2 Legacy Brighton wagon with 130k. For the first 5 minutes or so it has no power at all. No backfire or engine noise or engine lights, but it's scary getting out into traffic. step on the gas and it just falls on it's face, hardly wants to move. Once it warms up to operating temp it runs just fine.

I did recently have a misfire code which plugs and wires and filters cured. Timing belt and gears have less than 10k on them. Have tried cleaning up the throttle body and tested with a basic OBD 2 scanner, looks like everything is working, goes right into closed loop, coolant temp reacting normal, etc.

Any guidance/ideas are welcome! Thanks!

Typically the cars run rich when cold until operating temp is reached. I would do the basics and make sure there are no leaks in vaccume lines or the intake, clean the maf sensor and make sure the air filter isn't totally clogged. The car could be running OK and then the richer fuel mixture puts it over the edge. I would start there

Thanks for the responses. I have done all of those "easy fixes" All filters are new, cleaned up the MAF and throttle body, etc. I was wondering what would tell the computer to make it run rich, that is what it seems to be doing. I thought it may have been a timing correction issue, but my data shows that to have the same reactions hot or cold. Past history I have found coolant sensors that would cause this complaint, but not this time. I was about to start testing the IAC maybe clean that up. I don't think it is a vacuum leak since it clears up pretty quick, but maybe there is some history with these engines I have not heard of yet?

Any other ideas?

Archived