LegacyGT.com

EWG on a DD

I am considering going external wastegate on my stage 3.5 build and was wondering if anyone had run one on their DD? I love the sound and have read about the benefits besides the obvious power gain. I am just wondering if it would be annoying or a bad idea for a daily driver? I should mention the turbo is a VF52.
God created turbo lag to give V8s a chance

Im a little confused. Are you asking if its mechanically sound to run a EWG setup on a DD or are you asking if its too loud? I would be hesitant to run a EWG setup in SoCal because I would be afraid the noise would get me in more trouble than a BOV already can and I live in the land of smognazi.

The novelty of an open dump wears off fast.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Correct me if I'm wrong but stage 3.5 is turbo upgrade with fuel mods ebcs ic etc. I know that the ewg is mechanically sound but am wondering if the sound would get annoying.
God created turbo lag to give V8s a chance

Correct me if I'm wrong but stage 3.5 is turbo upgrade with fuel mods ebcs ic etc. I know that the ewg is mechanically sound but am wondering if the sound would get annoying.

That's what people consider regular stage 3.

As far as noise, I am running a 38mm EWG and it's obnoxiously loud under full boost. It only gets loud under partial or full boost. Anything less is just turbo spool. It brings a smile to my face every time I hear it though. (I love loudness.)

I will take a video when I get a chance to give a demonstration of what I mean.

Well I usually just don't continue "stages" after 3 which consists of turbo, fuel components, intake and an intercooler. Anything after I just don't go by stages. I Just say built because anything after 3 is typically major including; engine builds, even bigger turbos, etc.

But as far as the EWG, if you are willing to deal with the noise and you're like me (love noise) then by all means, throw it on there. You'll just have to be a tad bit careful around cops.

I'm happy with mine.

IMO waste of time on a vf52.

You should get a real turbo like this if you want a EWG.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4017.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll get the video today. But as far as the EWG opening under any boost, that's false. It doesn't get loud under low boost. And with light throttle, it's not even loud. I can drive around spooling up with no noise (other than turbo spool) if I choose to drive like a normal human being.

I'll get a video showing you what I mean. Today I have time.

I'll get the video today. But as far as the EWG opening under any boost, that's false. It doesn't get loud under low boost. And with light throttle, it's not even loud. I can drive around spooling up with no noise (other than turbo spool) if I choose to drive like a normal human being.

I'll get a video showing you what I mean. Today I have time.

Its true. If I drive normally I don't even get the gate to open. It's not really loud at all. My wife doesn't even notice the sound nor does my child. It's there when I want to play. I do DD my car everyday.

I got two terrible videos yesterday and forgot to take better ones before I came home, but after work tonight, I'll have my brother film it so I don't have to hold the phone while driving. Haha.

I tried uploading a crappy video to photobucket from my iPhone but the sound isn't working for whatever reason so it defeats the purpose to post. After work tomorrow, I can try to get another with my HD camcorder and see if I can upload it without any drivers. Sorry for the wait guys. :(

Archived