LegacyGT.com

lowering springs + shocks vs full coilovers for a $3k car (newbie)

JustSo

Is it worth buying full coilovers for a $3000 car? How much did you guys spend on lowering springs and upgrading shocks? which ones? and for those who use coilovers, how much did you end up spending? which ones?

PS: for those who live in the PNW or anywhere where it snows in the winter, is it gonna save my ass to buy coilovers to readjust?

PS: for those who live in the PNW or anywhere where it snows in the winter, is it gonna save my ass to buy coilovers to readjust?

It's gonna be a huge pain in the ass to readjust them after one winter. Not to mention every time to you raise or lower your coilovers to need a new alignment. IMO coilovers belong on track cars only

This is easy, NO.

Bad idea for a DD. everytime you change ride height you should make sure the alignment is correct.

Find some good shocks and may lowering springs and be done with it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

my opinion is to stay away from bags... agree with the alignment issues.

i would go springs and shocks for regular daily driving.

i personally went tein flex coilover. local rebuilding facility. can't go wrong with that.

3k sounds like alot for coilovers... aren't coilover sets like 1500?

i guess it really depends on what your driving habits are and what you want out of it. aggressive driving, street conditions, track days?

I don't think OP is looking to spend 3k, his questions is what to get for a 3k car. In most cases lowering springs/struts would be the cheapest and probably best for DD. Since its a Bk/Bg chassis you can get suspension parts from impreza check out your model specific section of this forum or sl-i.net as there you'll find more help and options whats better for you.

I don't think OP is looking to spend 3k

yea, wasn't sure... but i for sure would get the springs and shocks... then make sure you can adjust all the points in the car. like... for my BP Chassis, rear camber is not cool... so i just got a new adjustable link.

not sure what would fit, but for sure... if you find cross chassis fitment... that is a great bonus.

Archived