LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

So meaningless hair-splitting about a car you never owned. Got it.

5-star rated in half the categories, 4-star rated in the other half. In the last year before a redesign. K.

Head restraints!!!! Be still my heart!!! :eek:

More hair-splitting, of course. Your point is that Subaru was somehow vastly superior in safety to other contemporary cars. You're wrong. It wasn't.

Oh, how little about car handling you know.

Snap oversteer and AWD have little to do with each other. It is possible to get snap lift throttle oversteer in any car with a poorly sorted rear suspension. I got it several times, when I was younger and stupider, in my old Infiniti G20, which was FWD, but had a multilink front and strut rear suspension. The struts provided inferior camber control under lateral stress and thus the rear end was more likely to lose traction than the front in some cases. This happened to me both on the street and the track. One of the times resulted in a wicked spin and a scraped front bumper. I'm lucky nothing worse happened.

In a RWD, car, on the other hand, you're much more likely to get power oversteer, which can be easily controlled with the loud pedal. It's fun. You should try it sometime. I'm planning on trying it again tomorrow at an autocross, where it's expected to be pouring rain, so I'll be able to give you a firsthand account. ;)

And AWD only affects acceleration in conditions where the power output by the engine overwhelms the traction available. In a 175-hp, 3300-lb car in the rain, that's unlikely to happen. Either way, it's near impossible that a little wheelspin on startup is going to be the difference between a safe trip and a catastrophe. But by all means, continue insisting that AWD makes you so much safer in Florida! [emoji38]

As if four wheels being driven in slippery conditions is ever a bad thing...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• I Donated
As if four wheels being driven in slippery conditions is ever a bad thing...

Thanks for confirming that not only do you not understand the benefits and drawbacks of different types of drive systems, you don't even care to learn.

Any other misconceptions you'd care to share before we wrap this discussion up? :munch:

Thanks for confirming that not only do you not understand the benefits and drawbacks of different types of drive systems, you don't even care to learn.

Any other misconceptions you'd care to share before we wrap this discussion up? :munch:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/12/2wd-awd-or-4wd-how-much-traction-do-you-need/index.htm

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/fwd-rwd-awd-learn-the-performance-differences/

Edited by FLlegacy

Most comfortable seat I've ever sat in was a 3.6L leather interior outback. I want to say it's around 2013 model. I've sat in everything from a 60's beetle to a Maserati granturismo and that Outback by far, had the most comfortable seats.

So when your Subie kicks the bucket, what will you drive next?

#ShamelessAttemptToGetBackOnTopic

• I Donated

I hope those articles educated you. They support what I have been saying. From the CR one:

What do I need?

For rain and very light snow, 2WD will likely work fine, and for most vehicles, front-wheel drive is the preferred setup. (For performance cars, RWD is preferred, but AWD, if available, can increase traction. AWD is fine for most normal snow conditions or for light-duty, off-pavement excursions. If you'll be driving in severe snow or true off-road situations, or if you're interested in pursuing off-roading as a hobby, you should opt for a vehicle with 4WD and lots of ground clearance. Keep in mind that both AWD and 4WD systems add considerable weight to a vehicle, compromising fuel economy.

Is AWD safer? Not necessarily…

One of the reasons many people buy a traditional sport-utility vehicle is for the extra security and traction of four-wheel drive. Many drivers don't realize the limitations of AWD and 4WD, however. Though having power delivered to all four wheels increases straight-line traction, it does nothing to improve cornering or braking.

Drivers are often fooled when driving in slippery conditions with an AWD or 4WD vehicle, not realizing how slippery conditions may be when driving, only to discover they are going way too fast when trying to stop. Because the added traction of 4WD can allow a vehicle to accelerate more quickly in slippery conditions, drivers need to be more vigilant, not less. Slippery conditions demand extra caution, no matter what you drive.

In many cases, having good tires is more important than the drive wheels. Winter tires, for instance, actually do help you turn and stop on a snowy road—things that AWD doesn’t help with.

I said all that two pages back.

From the DigitalTrends article:

If you live in either a fair-weather or mild four-season climate (modest levels of snow and rain), the truth is that you can get away with pretty much any drivetrain choice as long as you shell out the money for a good set of winter tires when the weather calls for them. Still, all-wheel drive and front-wheel drive vehicles are the easiest to manage in snow and rain.

They're right that AWD and FWD are easier to manage in slippery conditions, but the reason they give is wrong. The problem is not that RWD is inherently difficult to manage, it's that drivers who are not used to RWD are not familiar with how to control oversteer. For a driver with plenty of experience in performance driving with RWD cars, a RWD car is actually better than a FWD car in inclement weather, assuming it's not a pickup with no weight over the rear wheels, because in a FWD car, you're asking the same wheels to both steer and propel. In a RWD car, you split the duties between axles, thus increasing the traction available for steering and for propulsion.

Of course, with a name like Digital Trends, do you really think the writer would be an expert in vehicle dynamics? :lol:

I hope those articles educated you. They support what I have been saying. From the CR one:

I said all that two pages back.

From the DigitalTrends article:

They're right that AWD and FWD are easier to manage in slippery conditions, but the reason they give is wrong. The problem is not that RWD is inherently difficult to manage, it's that drivers who are not used to RWD are not familiar with how to control oversteer. For a driver with plenty of experience in performance driving with RWD cars, a RWD car is actually better than a FWD car in inclement weather, assuming it's not a pickup with no weight over the rear wheels, because in a FWD car, you're asking the same wheels to both steer and propel. In a RWD car, you split the duties between axles, thus increasing the traction available for steering and for propulsion.

Of course, with a name like Digital Trends, do you really think the writer would be an expert in vehicle dynamics? [emoji38]

So an experienced driver vs an inexperienced driver will do better in adverse conditions...wow did you come up with that all by yourself.

Nicest seats I recall were in a Lexus ls 460 I think. Performance oriented the Challenger seats were really comfy on me. With nice bolstering in the back and bottom.

• I Donated
So an experienced driver vs an inexperienced driver will do better in adverse conditions...wow did you come up with that all by yourself.

Not what I said. I said RWD is better than FWD for an experienced driver, but FWD is better than RWD if you don't know what you're doing.

Make that upper lip paint colored and it has the same style of the mazda 6 sort of...I don't know I don't think I could buy one of those, it is pretty darn ugly. I that chrome nastiness was body colored possibly.

I am gonna try to drive both in the auto show this November.

So am I the only one that likes the new Camry?

So am I the only one that thinks the new Accord is Ugly?

Sub 30K sedans, what is your favorite...annnnnnnndddd go

New Camry actually looks tits on the road. (I see a ton of things being tested on my commute)

Anything worth driving is gonna be north of 30k me thinks. New Camry XSE starts at 32 according to Toyotas site. Kia Stinger GT, 32-50 depending on trim. Fusion Sport, 33ish. And that's not even delving into the Euro market. Unless you mean small, Chevy Cruise-class 4 doors...

I think the manual one has that part gloss black. But if not, plastidip!

I'll be taking one for a test soon enough.

Yeah I'm pretty sure both sport trims it's black. You can also get the sport with a 10 speed auto that's actually a real transmission and not some cvt witchcraft.

Let's see if this works:

http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/sites/11/2017/07/2018-Honda-Accord-Sport-front-end.jpg

I could suck start a snow blower.

In a perfect world i'd take the Camry XSE with the Accord motor and 6 speed :)

Otherwise, if they actually made last years accord sport with the new motor and trans thatd be my choice. The new Camry is really cool looking, i like what they did with it. It just sucks that every car in NY is a Camry with TLC plates. Too many of them out there to stand out.

In a perfect world i'd take the Camry XSE with the Accord motor and 6 speed :)

I think the ideal would be 6th Gen Legacy with the WRX's 6MT/2.0DIT motor for a LGT replacement (at least for the sedan owners).

Edited by dgoodhue

Why not the 2.4DIT, it's going in the Ascent and Outback to replace the 3.6R only makes sense to see it in the Legacy.

Simple, the 2.4DIT doesn't currently exist in production. I would be happy with the FA20DIT, it's output is similar to the 5th Gen's EJ255 motor and probably has more potential than the 5th Gen's one off EJ25 low mount turbo with limited aftermarket support.