LegacyGT.com

Spec.B v GT ($6K price difference)

rai

Hi, I'm interested in a Spec.B and test drove one and liked it a lot.

I'm just weighing in my head the difference in price.

--Nav is $2500 (I think) and comes with stability and traction control (not otherwise availible on any MT Legacy).

-Wheels/tire and Interior upgrade (I say at most $1K)?

------------->> that's $3500

-6-MT from the STi which I'm not sure what that's worth, but it is piece of mind for engine power upgrade, lets say that's worth ($1K)

-Suspension upgrade (lets say that's worth $1K)

Is there anything I missed or overlooked? are the brakes and AWD system the same?

I think the Spec.B has a better LSD (?) is that correct say that's worth $500 to bring the total price of $6K over

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see all the worth of everything except:

Nav $2500

Is this nav system as good as comparable systems like say from Toyota or Honda? I have a nav in my Sienna and like it but not sure its worth $2500

I question traction and stability control are needed on a LGT. While in general I think they are great aids to driver safety, I'd say the LGT is one of the last cars than need this feature. For those who have a Spec.B how do you like this feature?

I know it probably makes the car a tiny bit safer, but I drive a S2000 with no AWD, no Stability control and no Traction control. I even drive it in the rain and snow (snow tires), and I can still control it OK. I just have to drive slower than normal. I mean even with the Spec.B it's not like I'll be driving like a mad man in the rain.

Thanks for any replies.

I would like to join the Subi family, just trying to decide if the Spec.B or just plane LGT is the smarter buy.

Thanks.

do you really need the navi?

No

I wish the Spec.B had everything it does except with nav optional that would make the price difference only $4500.

(Oh and I wish it didn't have the sunroof). If ANY LGT was availible without a sunroof I'd buy in a minute. (oh well my wishes never come true).

If ANY LGT was availible without a sunroof I'd buy in a minute. (oh well my wishes never come true).
MY05 nonlimited LGT's = no sunroof. Plenty of those to be had at a good price, without NAV as well!
ignore him, he'll go away.

For me, it's not about breaking down the value of the price difference between the GT and the SpecB - if I add $6k on top of what I'm paying, I'm accordingly expanding the cars I'd consider buying, and I'm not sure if the Subaru still wins out.

But, at what I'm paying for the regular 07 GT - it's a steal. I think w/ the side skirts/shock sensor/auto-dim it's going to be just under ~$26.5 before tax. At that price, I can't think of a single car I'd opt for over the GT. But, add another $6k on top of that and I'm looking at other brands and models.

Note, though, I have a second car for track days, so I also have no need for the Leg to do any dual-duty. If I only had one car, the SpecB might make more sense.

I agree - without 6spd it would be definitive NO.

Bilsteins can be added cheaply for significantly less then $1000 (for used take-offs). Good coilovers less then $1500.

The navi is poor.

I only wish all manual LGTs will get the 6spd tranny in the future, at least as an option.

IMHO:

2006 SpecB - no way

2007 SpecB - yes, possibly

Wasn't there a thread where someone spent $2500 on suspension parts to get the stock LGT up to similar Spec. B performance?

Subaru prices yes. Bilsteins can be had much cheaper.

I don't think the alu control arms make such a big difference anway (I might be wrong, but I don't think they are worth the $$).

From what I remember of my test drive of a 2005 LGT, the Spec.B in comparison was much more responsive. It was as if the Al suspension parts enabled the Spec. to react more quickly to the road surface giving the car a much more nimble feel.

Don't know. But note SpecB has differnet lower control arm bushings. We know these are crap on regular LGT hence the group buy for the Fulcrum ones.

2006 Spec B - Limited to 500

2007 Spec B - Regular production run

The word is they won't make more 2007s than 2006s anyway.

So it's just the number plate...

If someone thinks this will help with resale value.... all the power for him! :lol:

Thanks for the replies. I have to think about this. First if the Nav is not so hot, I don't want to be forced to buy it, but then, I don't like to fiddle with my suspension, I don't like to be bothered too much with that type of thing.

But def like the one guy said, the price of the Spec.B does drag it into the price range of other cars like a IS350 or 330i or G35.

Even tho those other cars don't have AWD like the Sibi (can get it but not necessary).

If they made Spec.B was w/o Nav and w/o Sunroof for about $32K that'd be my ride in a second.

The 6 speed was the deciding factor on why I bought the car...even though it only has an R160 for the rear end.

In my mind having the 6 speed added is worth 2-3K as an option... But thats just my opinion.

What is R160 rear end?

I also like the 6-speed option, but noticed the 6-speed actually gets 1 mpg worse than the LGT limited 20/27 vs 19/26 (spec.B).

I would hope the Spec.B will be quicker acceleration due to shorter gearing 1-5 with 6th being similar to LGT 5th gear. But I haven't seen any tests of the 07 Spec.B yet.

Wasn't there a thread where someone spent $2500 on suspension parts to get the stock LGT up to similar Spec. B performance?

Car and Driver did this. They spent under $3500 on suspension and an electronic remote that changes the suspension parameters on the fly. It equaled out to have the same skidpad rating as the SpecB, but the modified LGT had a shorter braking distance. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I will scan the article.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

The 6 speed was the deciding factor on why I bought the car...even though it only has an R160 for the rear end.

In my mind having the 6 speed added is worth 2-3K as an option... But thats just my opinion.

The LGT really doesn't need a 6 speed, they only put one in to keep up with the other cars in the class.

What is R160 rear end?

I also like the 6-speed option, but noticed the 6-speed actually gets 1 mpg worse than the LGT limited 20/27 vs 19/26 (spec.B).

I would hope the Spec.B will be quicker acceleration due to shorter gearing 1-5 with 6th being similar to LGT 5th gear. But I haven't seen any tests of the 07 Spec.B yet.

Umm it dosen't have a R160 rear end anymore I believe. It is a torsen rear end now a brand new unit.

Thanks for the replies. I have to think about this. First if the Nav is not so hot, I don't want to be forced to buy it, but then, I don't like to fiddle with my suspension, I don't like to be bothered too much with that type of thing.

But def like the one guy said, the price of the Spec.B does drag it into the price range of other cars like a IS350 or 330i or G35.

Even tho those other cars don't have AWD like the Sibi (can get it but not necessary).

If they made Spec.B was w/o Nav and w/o Sunroof for about $32K that'd be my ride in a second.

If you look to get AWD in those other models you are going to be paying substantially more than for a Spec. Look around for an 06 Spec. and you might be able to get a pretty good deal but you're going to get a sun roof. The NAV is pretty good.

Archived