LegacyGT.com

Coilovers: raise/lower on car?

Chief_Wiggum

Hey guys,

Going to install my new Cusco Zero-2 coilovers tomorrow :icon_razz :icon_razz :icon_razz

From what I can decipher of the instructions it looks like you can raise and lower the car without unbolting the upper or lower perch. I'm pretty sure this would be fine for the front where the strut rod will just spin inside the pillow ball bearing, but adjusting the rear this way will twist the shock rod inside the housing.

I've always heard this was not good for the shock, anyone care to comment?

Hey guys,

Going to install my new Cusco Zero-2 coilovers tomorrow :icon_razz :icon_razz :icon_razz

From what I can decipher of the instructions it looks like you can raise and lower the car without unbolting the upper or lower perch. I'm pretty sure this would be fine for the front where the strut rod will just spin inside the pillow ball bearing, but adjusting the rear this way will twist the shock rod inside the housing.

I've always heard this was not good for the shock, anyone care to comment?

The rear doesn't have spherical bearings on top?

the rears on the Zero2's dont come with the pillow ball joint! the easiest way to adjust the rears is to loosen the nut on the lower perch and just twist like hell, or what i do is use a spring compressor to load up the spring and then adjust the rear height and then unload the spring compressor and your good to go.

FYI...if you take a look at my VB garage i have links to my Cusco install and pictures of the ride height after install with ZERO adjustment...

Chief, i don't know what your final liking to ride height is going to be, but just install the coilovers and let them settle in, then gauge if you need height adjustment.

OH and FYI...i installed my zero-2's with zero adjustment, and the next week we cornerbalaced the car, and the car was perfect!...perfect right out the box!!

hope that helps!

~Sucka-Duck~

the rears on the Zero2's dont come with the pillow ball joint! the easiest way to adjust the rears is to loosen the nut on the lower perch and just twist like hell, or what i do is use a spring compressor to load up the spring and then adjust the rear height and then unload the spring compressor and your good to go.

FYI...if you take a look at my VB garage i have links to my Cusco install and pictures of the ride height after install with ZERO adjustment...

Chief, i don't know what your final liking to ride height is going to be, but just install the coilovers and let them settle in, then gauge if you need height adjustment.

OH and FYI...i installed my zero-2's with zero adjustment, and the next week we cornerbalaced the car, and the car was perfect!...perfect right out the box!!

hope that helps!

+1, just loosen the locking perch for the ride height and spin the shock body to your liking for ride height.

Keefe

hey chief...take a look at my vbgarage or search under cusco zero-2's and you'll get a good idea on the how the car will look with the coilovers "right out the box!"

and the install of the coilovers/F&R sways took about 1.5 hours with a lift and air tools...

Remember, snap some pics of the G-ride when your done!!

~Sucka-Duck~

so far so good. a lot mroe tweeking then i would have thought for adjustable coilovers. iv had them on less then a week so far. i worked out a few issues i had with them. instalation was a breez but the lack of english instructions mad it confusing for setting preload and what not. and so far its a bit boucy bout i have the shocks set right in the middle for now

Just finished up about an hour ago. Suspension work makes you buff! :munch: Damn, why have torque specs if the factory isn't going to use them.

Installed:

- Cusco Zero-2 coilovers

- Cusco f/r lower arm bars

Took the car for two laps the way I drive my wife to/from work every day. My fear that coilovers would be too hardcore for the street was completely unfounded.

My issues with the stock suspension were mainly focused around the dampening. Over high acceleration bumps (like one of those metal road plates or sharp bumps in the road) the car felt overdampened and the bump was jarring. Even though the spring rates are relatively soft, the high dampening prevented the springs from compressing and soaking up the bump.

On the other hand, over low acceleration bumps (dips, and humps) the car felt underdampened. Go over a hump, WHEE, the backend felt like it was going to lift off.

Also, lots of porpoising on acceleration/deceleration, and the car sits a little high for my tastes.

The dampeing with these units is worlds better. Even though the spring rates are higher, the car is MORE comfortable over all kinds of bumps (dampening set 2/3). Almost all the porpoising is gone, and body roll is almost gone. Will add sways wheels/tires shortly. Over most things, you hear the bump, but not feel it.

The lower bars are a worthwhile addition. There's one of those metal plates in the middle of an intersection I have to u-turn at everyday. I've driver over that thing every way possible. The car would almost shimmy over it. Thump, shimmy, thump, shimmy. With the bars there just a thump. By stiffening the chassis, the suspension is allowed to do more work as well.

I do notice more noise from the tophats during very low speed bumps (speedbumps), but I can deal. The stock units weren't exactly silent. I didn't bother to take them apart, but they seemed to have a pretty rigid setup on top as well since the tophats spin like tops.

Lowering is fairly conservative. I'm going to measure the car in a couple days, but it's no lower than 1" all around.

One question. Over speedbumps I hear a whooshing from the front struts. I sounds just like a strut doing it's job, but want to make sure there's nothing wrong. All I changed was the dampening from 3 to 2.

Thanks for all the info guys. Was able to complete the install with only one trip to Sears for tools :icon_tong

FYI, the Sears BABB is much better than the Harbor Freight BABB.

I do notice more noise from the tophats during very low speed bumps (speedbumps), but I can deal. The stock units weren't exactly silent. I didn't bother to take them apart, but they seemed to have a pretty rigid setup on top as well since the tophats spin like tops.

One question. Over speedbumps I hear a whooshing from the front struts. I sounds just like a strut doing it's job, but want to make sure there's nothing wrong. All I changed was the dampening from 3 to 2.

for those interested, that is normal with coilovers, and the Cusco Zero2's. I have that, SnoDork has that....but all worth it in my opinion. I kinda like the whooshing sound. Betsy, my better half, loves that sound...makes her giggle all the time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

bump

just got my zero-2s installed!

the difference is Night and Day. They are 150% better than stock and i am VERY pleased.

the only thing i have noticed is a small thump happening intermittently during acceleration. i am not sure if this is normal or shold be checked out by the dealer...

other than that cusco ROCKS!

have u guys tried lowering it more, like 3 inches or something. and how do the bumps feel after lowering it that much.

Cheers,

Alan

In the fronts i have about (ghetto style!!) one fingers gap between the tire fender (mind you: 18x8 w 245/35/18)...and in the rear its about a 1/2" higher cuz i haul lots of $#it in my car.

bumps are bumps...with my 35 series tires they are a bit magnified, i just put my stockers back on lastnight, and now the ride is PLUSH!...haha, I've also dialed in a couple turns of preload in the front and rear so my Ride quality may be a bit stiffer then some of the others...

hope that helps!..

~Sucka-Duck~

Archived