LegacyGT.com

Drive it, love it, don't fret about it...

It goes without saying that I love my Legacy GT wagon. It also goes without saying that the commentary about the Car & Driver sport sedan comparo isn't surprising, but... I think some perspective is in order here. I used to write for a high-end audio magazine. Once I gained that forum, guys who knew a lot more about audio and sound than I did, were suddenly treating me as if I were some kind of guru, bringing wisdom from the mountaintop. I finally said one day, "Look, I'm the same ignoramus you used to argue with. Now that I have a forum, I'm supposed to know more than you? Further, you know what kind of sound you want. Why should what I have to say have any effect on that?" Car magazine reviewers are regular guys, with a forum. They have likes, dislikes, biases and odd peccadilloes. I would go farther than saying take their reviews with a grain of salt. I would say that they verge on being worthless, even if C&D is a fun magazine to read. Of the traits they attribute to the GT, some owners have them, some don't. I don't have any bucking or shuddering, for example, and my doors shut with a reassuring thud. If you want to hear shake, rattle and roll, listen to the doors shut on an early-generation USDM WRX. Hello, Tito Puente! All that we know is what we know, which is limited to our car. So. You have a Legacy. You like your Legacy. Great. You should, as it is a wonderful car. Be happy and drive it, like the independent-minded Subaru owner that you are. It doesn't matter what magazines or anyone else thinks. It only matters what YOU think. Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
I didn't read all that, but guru isn't really much of a compliment. Gurus were charlatans. Most people use guru as interchangeable with expert. I like my Legacy (OB), and like you, don't really care what others' think of it.

[quote name='jedimaster']I didn't read all that, but guru isn't really much of a compliment. Gurus were charlatans. Most people use guru as interchangeable with expert. I like my Legacy (OB), and like you, don't really care what others' think of it.[/quote] That's sort of like saying doctors are charlatans because traveling "doctors" used to sell their healing tonics to people who didn't know any better.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='jedimaster']I didn't read all that, but guru isn't really much of a compliment. Gurus were charlatans. Most people use guru as interchangeable with expert. I like my Legacy (OB), and like you, don't really care what others' think of it.[/quote] That's sort of like saying doctors are charlatans because traveling "doctors" used to sell their healing tonics to people who didn't know any better.[/quote] The original Gurus were people who presented false knowledge to people who knew no better in a way that made them look omniscient or infallible. That was what I meant.

Well said, Kevin. I don't really care what magazines say about the Legacy, other than sometimes being offended if the article doesn't do justice to the car. The truth is, I spent so many hours of research, analysis, test driving, visiting dealers, discussing with others that I'm persuaded I chose the right car for me with the best compromises. Ultimatelly, I did my own comparo and made a sound decision. The unfortunate thing is that sometimes people make too much of car mag article feedback and this ends-up having a real influence on someone's car buying desision process. Anyway, I love my car and am proud of driving a Legacy GT.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I second what Kevin says! Why should a magazine writer automatically be an expert? The writer comments on several things from his point of view. Magazine articles magically become a non-plus-ultra guide and the ultimate answer to the reader's questions - at least for some. Maybe it has to do with beeing afraid of making a wrong decision. I think the most of us where smart enough to make their right and own decision :D

[quote name='jedimaster'][quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='jedimaster']I didn't read all that, but guru isn't really much of a compliment. Gurus were charlatans. Most people use guru as interchangeable with expert. I like my Legacy (OB), and like you, don't really care what others' think of it.[/quote] That's sort of like saying doctors are charlatans because traveling "doctors" used to sell their healing tonics to people who didn't know any better.[/quote] The original Gurus were people who presented false knowledge to people who knew no better in a way that made them look omniscient or infallible. That was what I meant.[/quote] Spot on, Jedimaster. Though these days, particularly in voodoo-infested areas, "gurus" often honestly believe the stuff that they preach. I used to read The Absolute Sound audiophile journal and laugh until my sides hurt. It's too easy to achieve "guru" status these days. I remember what my Skip Barber instructor said which was essentially, "Drive to your equipment, and drive what you like." Couldn't have said it better myself. Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, what book did you get you definition of guru from? I always thought it was a reference to a religious leader. A quick search of guru didn't mention a reference like is posted here. So, I thought I would post the definition gu•ru Pronunciation: (goor'OO, goo-rOO'), [key] —n. 1. Hinduism.a preceptor giving personal religious instruction. 2. an intellectual or spiritual guide or leader. 3. any person who counsels or advises; mentor: The elder senator was her political guru. 4. a leader in a particular field: the city's cultural gurus.---ie) this use would be appropriate for a person that writes reviews for a magazine I suppose.

While I'm less interested in what car mags say about a car, I am interested in their testing and in their numbers. That data is, IMHO, helpful in doing some initial screening. Yes, final decisions should be made based on driving a car and the subjective individual experience one has when driving. But, you know what they say - "In God we trust...all others must show data" lol

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Pulled from a NASIOC thread:

me thinks me wants to wait till summer 2005. I mean this puppy will have navi as well, alongwith 270hp.

Just got this e-mail today.......We all knew it was coming. Geeeez, more competition.

Here it is. You're now among the first to feast your eyes on the new MAZDASPEED6. If you didn't see its World Debut at the Paris Motor Show on September 23, 2004, we thought you might like to take a look.

Look under the hood, and you'll find a 2.3L turbocharged and inter-cooled engine with leading-edge Direct-Injection technology. Look behind the 18" wheels and you'll discover Active Torque Split All-Wheel Drive. Look inside and you can just see yourself - your hand on the 6-speed manual gearshift, your face in a permanent grin.

Sign up today and we'll keep you updated with exciting new images and the latest information on the fast, sophisticated, and beautifully balanced MAZDASPEED6. Coming early Summer 2005!

Zoom - Zoom!

Eric K. Johnston

Director of Marketing

Mazda North American Operations

pho_mazdaspeed_6_lg_gal9.jpg.0ce7974f02d0fcee8b226b1a12934d65.jpg

[quote name='twisted']Pulled from a NASIOC thread: me thinks me wants to wait till summer 2005. I mean this puppy will have navi as well, alongwith 270hp. Just got this e-mail today.......We all knew it was coming. Geeeez, more competition. Here it is. You're now among the first to feast your eyes on the new MAZDASPEED6. If you didn't see its World Debut at the Paris Motor Show on September 23, 2004, we thought you might like to take a look. Look under the hood, and you'll find a 2.3L turbocharged and inter-cooled engine with leading-edge Direct-Injection technology. Look behind the 18" wheels and you'll discover Active Torque Split All-Wheel Drive. Look inside and you can just see yourself - your hand on the 6-speed manual gearshift, your face in a permanent grin. Sign up today and we'll keep you updated with exciting new images and the latest information on the fast, sophisticated, and beautifully balanced MAZDASPEED6. Coming early Summer 2005! Zoom - Zoom! Eric K. Johnston Director of Marketing Mazda North American Operations[/QUOTE] Wow...any "striking simillarities" you see in that interior? :eek:

i think automotive journalists have a fun job. but, in general, it is entertainment and subjective writing. i don't automatically scoff at them because of those two caveats. more often than i have the chance myself, they get to drive cars back to back so their subjectivity, while a caveat, is still informative. you can make their subjective comments even more unimportant when you combine it with the quantitative test data. i still think the national exposure for the legGT in national magazines is important to raise awareness. in new england, it's not really necessary, but for other parts of the country, it may tweak some curiosity and get people into the dealerships. a strong selling subaru is good for us, i think.

And the new Mazda will have direct-injection? Wow. So let's see.. if they get the regular AWD torque split close to 50/50 like the Legacy, the Legacy GT will be lacking in the following: Less horsepower - might not really matter since I like a fat torque curve Worse gas mileage - Direct injection should help gas mileage considerably, and the Mazda will have less displacement. No Navi 5-speed instead of 6-speed Very interesting.. I hope Subaru responds in a year or two. I bet Mazda will have an integrated dash as well to make it hard to install an aftermarket stereo in that car as well though. lol. Subaru could get one up on Mazda right away by offering a USDM trim plate/climate controls!

Archived