LegacyGT.com

Long distance trailer tow?

I am moving from the great state of PA to Ga, A trip around 700 miles I have a few questions.

-Has anyone ever taken a u-haul trailer this far with their subaru?

-How was gas mileage?

-How was control?speed?hills?

-Is there an easy way to wire lights for the trailer?

-does anybody have a hitch to sell me?

-Is there a universal hitch I can fit that may be cheaper than the one made for our cars?

• I Donated

How big of a trailer are we talking?

UHaul will only rent you a trailer if they feel your vehicle is capable of towing it safely. I doubt they will rent you any trailer that they offer if you say you're towing it with your Legacy.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

Well, in that case...

Trailer is going to kill your gas mileage. Not only do you have more weight, but you also have more drag.

As well, braking, steering, general handling are going to suck. Have you ever driven with a trailer? If you have that will be helpful. Just remember you have to turn wide and brake much earlier.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

these cars have a 2000 pound tow limit and anything over 1000 pounds is supposed to have trailer brakes.

i know u-haul car carriers have trailers brakes, but i'm not familiar with their smaller ones.

the ''L'' and brighton do not come with a trailer light connection like the outback does. so you will have to tap in to the harness at the driver side tail light. this will give you everything you need except the right turn signal. you will have to run a wire across to that side for it.

there is a small access panel right behind the tail light for changing the bulb. that's where i made my connections. it's a little tight but you can get it. you will want one of those trailer light controllers / converters since the car has both brake and turn lights but the trailer shares one bulb for both jobs. most trailers do.

drive slower, turn wider, stop sooner, and DO NOT eat or talk on the phone while driving. drive while driving. stop while eating or calling.

good luck.

• Mega Users
I think hes fine. I tow a lot with my car (4x8 trailer). drive slower, brake sooner, turn wider, shift higher, release clutch slower. I can really feel when I'm stressing the car out while towing, If i do all the things above, it reduces that.
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Im genuinely disturbed that anyone would co-sign a tow without knowing the skill level of the driver, condition of trailer, car or what sort of load is being hauled. ALL things that matter a lot if something bad starts to happen. (Although I agree that a 4x8 is a small trailer the size of a teardrop travel trailer that any car can tow - but teardrops are effectively EMPTY. Just try to keep it under 1200lbs and 200lb tongue weight)

OP, this SEARCH is for you:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/trailer-advice-156906.html?t=156906&highlight=trailer+uhaul

• I Donated
Ive done about 1500 miles with a trailer and let me tell you: when things start to go wrong, boy do they go wrong :spin:

Do tell what happened

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

You don't mention whether your Sube is auto or manual. If auto, recommend you put a cooler on your transmission. That 4x8 will definitely max-out everything about your car. Key things like brakes, cooling and engine/drivetrain need to be in top working order. Check all of your hoses, connections, etc. to make sure they're up to the extra strain of towing. Gas mileage will likely take a big bite too, expect ~16-17 mpg (or less) unless this trailer is filled with foam pellets ;).

FWIW and anecdotal lesson-learned... Towed a U-haul 6x12 dual-axle trailer from NorEast Maine to SoCal - over 3700 miles behind a 3/4 ton Dodge Van. Trailer weighed ~4,8000 lbs loaded but that load was well distributed and the tongue weight was almost 200 lbs. Other than starting and stopping you never knew it was there. The 6x12 had surge brakes on it so nothing extra needed in the braking department - but a real biatch to back up a hill because the brakes fought you. Blew a hose at night driving across PA and fortunately had some rubber compression tape with me that I used to bind it up to enable us to get to our hotel and then get it fixed in the morning. Overheated pulling the mountains east of San Diego, literally had to pull over and cool-down at each pull-off area. Lesson-learned...pay attention to cooling before you start.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Depending on how much weight you put in it, my intuition tells me that that's a lot of trailer for a 2.2 Sedan or Wagon (auto or manual). Pulling hills will likely be a challenge and cruising, (or with the cruise control if you have it) may be in fourth gear and not fifth a good portion of the time.

• 1 month later...
I am moving from the great state of PA to Ga, A trip around 700 miles I have a few questions.

-Has anyone ever taken a u-haul trailer this far with their subaru?

-How was gas mileage?

-How was control?speed?hills?

-Is there an easy way to wire lights for the trailer?

-does anybody have a hitch to sell me?

-Is there a universal hitch I can fit that may be cheaper than the one made for our cars?

Look at U-Haul they have universal hitches and my suggestion for ur towing to to make frequent stops to let the car cool down so you don't over exert the drivetran to much

Subaru has specific directions for towing your vehicle, depending on whether it is automatic or manual. Recommend you check your owner's manual or go to MySubaru and check the specifics for your Legacy.

Will it work without killing bus loads of puppies and nuns? Sure. Would I do it? No way. I can feel my Legacy working with three 200lb passengers in the car. Definitely wouldn't want to be stuck with it on the highway with a trailer for ten hours.

edit: Just FYI...I've dragged plenty of crap behind my Jeep, and regularly use my 5x8 open trailer to haul around everything from dirtbikes to mulch, so I'm no stranger to towing. I briefly thought about putting a hitch on the Subaru for lighter towing jobs, but decided against it because no matter how you look at it it's a sedan that was not built to tow anything.

Archived