jazzymt

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed.

Indeed he does. I just purchased a Jazzy board and GLI. I'll be doing the install this weekend and I'll be sure to post up and problems as well as the verdict!

Quick shipping and everything will suffice. I work at an HVAC sensor manufacturer where we actually produce circuit boards. I noticed that his was built/soldered by hand. I'm very glad that you went with the heatshrink as it would be very suseptable to shorting otherwise with the resistors that you have angled. I bet those ribbon "clips?" were a PITA to solder!:spin:

Overall I'm satisfied with the product and I'm the quality manager at my work so you know I'm anal :eek:!!!

Jazzy, if we weren't so damn busy with our products I'd offer to try to get these boards Wave Soldered for you, it would really increase the solder joint quality (not to say that they aren't that great, they will function as intended).

Also note that the boards would be stronger if they were bigger allowing for the resistors to lay flat. You could also reverse the ribbon input and output "clips?" are at as to allow for the resistors that are in between those traces to be more evenly spaced in the area where there is nothing (same side as the audio output, opposite end). As for increasing the space, I'd assume that you made the board with the CD player in mind, but I will find out for myself this weekend!!!

Thanks again!

Matt Wagner

Not yet. I've only used it a little bit today. It actually sounds a lot better, Since I'm not overdriving the stock HU.

Any questions? please ask me or Gary at

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

He's been quite helpful and knowledgable.

And he's Canadian. :-)

I've also purchased the AmpliRider and have a decent first impression. He solders these by hand too, but I haven't had a chance to pull them apart and look at them as closely yet.

One thing I noticed is that in order to use the AmpliRider with the Jazzy mod you will need to buy some sort of adapter (male to male cord or otherwise).

Well, as I've told others - it's almost certainly the jack on the aux-in board itself. Unfortunately, over time & vibration, that connection just isn't the most reliable and can become loose - causing one or both speakers to cut out intermittently or permantently (usually just one, intermittently). It doesn't happen often, but it happens often enough...

The best thing to do is to just desolder the jack and solder the wires directly to the circuit board. If you want to send it back to me with the cable that plugs into it, I can either do that for you, or just solder a new jack onto the board.

As far as removing the board yourself - I really believe that just about anyone can do it if they take their time.

It seems as if I might be having a similar problem; I only get music out of one channel right after the install-and I took everything apart to verify that I had plugged the GLI in completely. Can you explain how you would be able to solder the wires directly onto the board? I have good soldering equipment and could do it if you explained it well enough-but I also have the GLI so I don't know if that will be a problem.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/LegacyStereoInstall18.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/LegacyStereoInstall12.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/LegacyStereoInstall10.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj167/mattmw88/LegacyStereoInstall20.jpg

Just a couple of quick pictures of the install.

Edited by Living Legacy

I know that the Pro Kit Install diagram says that the GLI should be plugged into the aux in board.

However I also read somewhere that it's good to have access to the GLI if you had to remove it.

What's the most common install?

Is there a problem having the GLI at the other end of the 6' patch

I know that the Pro Kit Install diagram says that the GLI should be plugged into the aux in board.

However I also read somewhere that it's good to have access to the GLI if you had to remove it.

What's the most common install?

Is there a problem having the GLI at the other end of the 6' patch

Very good question, I'd like to know as well. At the same time, is the GLI directional (does it need to have the male end closest to the board?

The GLi is directional - it has uneven windings (I think 1.3:1) to "boost" the signal up a bit to offset the use of the GLI, so plugging it in backwards will reduce the signal slightly instead.

That said - I'm not sure if you could tell the difference. It will still function in reverse - just a bit quieter.

Instead - you could install an 1/8" stereo extension cable (male/female) into the aux-in board and route that to somewhere convenient to plug in the GLI...make sense?

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Finally hard mounted my Ampli-Rider headphone amp so I could use Jazzy's Aux-in the way it was intended. (for me). Also installed an Infinity Basslink II w/4SC expansion module. (35w x 4) And I used the Forward/Reverse harness from (93svx...) Thanks to this Forum and all the wizards who find/make a workaround, I finally have audio I can live with for some time.

Has anyone used Jazzy's Aux-in for a Garmin or other Nav unit?

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/Mitch_9_23_60/DSC00277.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/Mitch_9_23_60/DSC00273.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/Mitch_9_23_60/DSC00274.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj305/Mitch_9_23_60/DSC00271-1.jpg

If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

Hey Jazzy, out of curiosity do you know if your ipod kit works with the iPhone?

I am kind of curious about that myself.

I am debating whether I should hook up a Jazzy kit, or get an XtremeMac inCharge FM modulator.

I'd get a Parrot, or whatever, phone/music stereo-bluetooth kit, if the iPhone would broadcast A2DP stereo bluetooth in iPod mode, and switch over to phone calls on the fly. Then all I would need is the power cord I already have. But, sadly, as of now, Apple shuts off the stereo bluetooth feature, and only does monaural for phone headsets, not stereo headphones for the iPod function. (the single, most puzzling, and biggest failure of an otherwise AMAZING device.)

The advantage with the FM modulator, is that I could use it in my wife's car, or any car I happen to be riding in, and have it along.

The Jazzy Kit probably has better sound by far, and is somewhat customizable on the input side, depending on how built-in you want to make it. One could leave a 1/8" headphone jack, and use a belkin car charger adapter with a gain-adjustable Aux OUT, a short 1/8 male to male jumper to connect them. (assuming that the signal comes through. I've got an old one, I should test that with my new iPhone...)

Or, one could get a dock connector cable, with bare wire ends, and wire/solder/via-molex-plug it in to the Aux Power point in the console, and into plugs that go into the jazzy kit/GLI input, and is all under the console, with just a fixed, powered, aux-out dock-connector cable that goes directly into the upholstery, and into the stereo. (center box, or glove box, or wherever you choose for the cable to come from)

That would have the effect of not having an authentication problem with the accessory-identification system in the newer iPods and iPhone. Sometimes that can allow things to work by not triggering the device to shut-down the aux-out lines, or the iPhone might be set to only OPEN the aux-out audio lines for authenticated devices... I would hope the former, not the latter, were true.

Somebody on an apple forum fabricated a microphone-to-line-in custom device for the iPod Touch, and it actually worked, because it didn't try to authenticate at all, where "official accessory" dictation microphone inputs for older iPods did NOT work, when the input lines were closed by the iPod. Granted, the fabricator was trying to put a microphone on the iPod Touch to turn it into a VOIP phone, with a microphone, and the headphones as a speaker-side, which is probably EXACTLY why Apple chose to have the iPod Touch shut identified microphone accessories down.

The same might work for an un-official aux-out cable for the iPhone, allowing aux-out, although some official accessories do use aux-out from the iPhone, too.

I am another happy user of the aux in. I ended up just having the regular jazzy patch cable plugged into the aux out of the iphone dock that came with the phone. Then I have a regular iphone charger plugged into the dock for power. I've not found a good place to mount the dock but it works ok for me now without any modifications to the interior. Eventually I'll come up with some solution but for now the aux in is ready and I can listen to my music!

• 2 weeks later...
i got my stereo out with ease, in about 20 minutes. the brackets on the sides of the HU though - what is up with these screws? they are not budging.. i've got 2 starting to strip already... getting concerned! anyone deal with this issue?

i got my stereo out with ease, in about 20 minutes. the brackets on the sides of the HU though - what is up with these screws? they are not budging.. i've got 2 starting to strip already... getting concerned! anyone deal with this issue?

Wasn't an issue for me until I tried to get the damn things back in-and then I only needed to use more force. Just make sure that you are using the best fit screw driver and a lot of pressure to avoid stripping them...

Good Luck!

Finally got everything going... with some discoveries.

First - THANK YOU JAZZY!!! I got the Pro kit installed and MAN does it sound good.

And.. you don't HAVE to take the side brackets off. Granted, you WILL lose ALOT of blood and have to remove alot more screws. I gave up on the brackets (three separate screw drivers still stripped the heads) and started removing every piece that would come off of the unit. Finally discovered that the metal under the circuit board will come out, and then the entire face-plate sheet of metal will come out, to allow for access to the mainboard from both sides. Removing enough screws would allow the whole unit to flex enough for you to (after many attempts) get the cables swapped in and out.

One thing to note, at least in my case... the GLI's 1/8 plug did NOT want to stay seated in the Jazzy plug, though the regular patch cable did fine. I ended up taping the snot out of the GLI connection to ensure it stays in place.

In the end I am completely happy with it. Just have to figure out where I want to run the Aux-in cable now.

• 3 weeks later...

Just dropping in to say thanks to Jazzy and to the contributors here whose posts steered me to the Aux-In solution. As of this last weekend, I'm another happy customer.

Also: Owners of late-model-year '03 Outbacks like mine should know you may be able to use this solution. If your 2003 OB has the Premium Sound package* that was in the Limited model and which replaced the winter driving package on some late-year base models then the Aux-In may work for you too.

Check to see if your 2003 Outback's radio & 6-CD changer is designated "P128" on the faceplate; if so, the Aux-In mod will work with your unit.

*details at http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2003.html

Matsushita_P128.jpg.449d762046729eb59519ddbade7e7b24.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I just installed mine twenty minutes ago...THANK YOU JAZZY...you have made the world a better place
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I have an 05 Legacy GT with the 6cd changer with mp3 and it shows P-203 UE on the front, but on jazzy's compatibility list is shows P-201 UE for the 05-06 6CD changer with mp3. It looks identical to the P-201 UE and was wondering if there was any difference or if this will work with my model if anyone has came across this. I cant see why mine would be any different. If anyone knows please let me know as I just noticed this after I already ordered the component.