LegacyGT.com

Anyone Here Running A Carputer?

EazyMoney

As of now, I am using my OEM H.U. & matching it with a Mini DSP 2 x 8 serving as an OEM Processor Upgrade. I am running fully 3 way active up front + sub.

I would really like to ditch my OEM H.U. & Mini DSP Processor and use a Carputer as a single source.

Q:'s

Where to locate Monitor?

I have seen a few Legacys mount Double Din Touch Screen Monitors above the OEM H.U. in the cubby hold/clock display area. I don't understand why not just replace the OEM H.U. with the Double Din Touch Screen Monitor and use that as your single Source. Another thing, what happened to the clock display? In order to mount the Double Din Touch Screen Monitor up there, you have to take out the clock display. That serves as other functions like MPG, temp, etc also. I assume whomever mounted their Monitor up there just downloaded software to enable MPG, Clock, Temp, etc. onto their Carputer.

A while back, when I first bought the vehicle, I had ordered a Dash kit for my 05' Subaru Legacy GT. Little did I know at the time, but they only made dash kits w/ Manual Climate controls. I had Auto, go figure. I am thinking about moddying the dash kit I bought to suit my Auto climate controls & Monitor. I know I can download a tablet on the Carputer that would allow me to full functions over my climate controls on the Monitor itself. However, in my opinion that would sound like a PITA going through your Monitor just to get at the "defrost" or whatever.

I am also thinking about ditching my Mids, and heading 2 way active with ID HCLD's & ID XS Mids + sub so I would only be running 6 channels. Evan at 6 channels, I would still need a processor w/ Active crossovers, T/A, etc. I am curious to see what kinds of Sound Cards people are running and please note your audio system

Thanks!

Anyone have any input as to where to mount Monitor?

I have 2 options, above OEM HU in cubbie hole or replace OEM HU with Monitor and use that as my single source.

Pro's and Con's of each?

If I were to run my Monitor above my OEM HU, what purpose would my OEM HU serve? Just allowing me AM/FM radio, and a disk changer?

I almost purchased a LCD Touchscreen to mount in the sun visor of my Mustang when I was on the carputer jag. I was going to use my Alpine 9887 for the active crossover, time alignment, and volume control and just have the carputer do my music and GPS functions through the aux input, then like always, I changed my mind.

I have been on that thread for a while. It's more the Soundcard that I am interested in. I still have not yet come across someone that is running 3-4 way up front using their PC as both their HU & Processor. When I mean processor, I mean T/A, EQ, (Active) X-Overs, etc.

Just curious to see what people have been using for Sound Cards and the type of Software they run. Also, whether or not they run a Million Phone Jack to RCA Splitters or use Optical Inputs. Not a whole lot for options out there for Sound cards with 8-10 + Channels that have RCA Unbalanced Outputs

& the only "car audio" amplifier I know of with Optical Inputs, is one from Focal, which MSRP/Retails for 3k:eek: Also, no cheating the "Retail" w/ purcashing online, it has to be done straight through Focal:spin:

When I was on the sole carputer kick, I was planning on using Audiomulch to chain the various VST plugins for TA and crossovers with a M-Audio Delta 1010LT. You could also use the MiniDSP unit with their various software addons. The only downside to most sound cards and the MiniDSP is weak pre-out voltage from the RCAs going to your amplifiers. It's usually not that big of a deal unless you have an amplifier that wants 4+ volts at the RCA inputs.

EDIT: There is also a 12 volt modification for the Behringer DCX2496 available from Envision Electronics. That could make for another decent processor and crossover if you can find the space for it.

Archived