LegacyGT.com

Car is feeling really loose

So I left work today and I pulled onto the interstate and I started feeling some weird feelings. The car pulled to the right when I let off the gas. Big time. I was getting constant feedback on the steering wheel pulling me to the right. Steering feels sloppy too, and almost feels dangerously loose on the right side.

The only mod I have to the suspension is BC coils and I haven't had a problem like this since I put them on.

I had a similar problem with my previous car (VW GTI) and turned out it was a loose sway bar end link. It almost felt identical to this so it leads me to believe that the Leggy may have the same issue.

Anybody have any ideas?

check your endlinks, and your blood alcohol level. although, i've found an endlink to be broken many moons after it actually borked, and it never felt that bad. maybe a sway bar broke/cracked?

I'm gonna get it aligned tomorrow. I know there has been a little toe out on the right side recently judging by the tire wear. Looking at the end links they look ok, but I didn't have the car in the air to get a good look. I guess we will find out tomorrow whats up.

Oh and btw, tire pressures are fine.

Well, I got out to go to work and I realized I needed gas. When I was pumping gas, I looked down and saw that my right rear tire was completely flat. Last night, it was dark and I didn't check the rear tires. Stupid mistake on my part. Anyways, I went over to the air station to fill it up and the side was completely wasted. It held air and I attempted to drive to the nearest tire place. Well it popped. And its done. Of course I didn't buy the damn roadhazzard protection so after only 5k miles, I get to buy a new tire. I'm assuming that I don't need it shaved since its only 5k miles of normal (not hard) driving.

Also, the tires I had were discontinued so I can't get the same one anymore. How annoying. Now I'm gonna have a mismatched tire and it's gonna annoy me anytime I look at my car. FML!

/rant

You can shave down tires? And I'm not sure that it's good to have different tread, especially on only one tire of an axle?

Yes, they can be shaved. Tire rack can do them. As for different tread, from what I understand, as long as there is less than a 20% difference in treadwear, there shouldn't be an issue. Also, I dont track my car and 90% of my driving is city at >50. I'm probably gonna just get a matching tire for the other side soon to make sure, but its just not in my budget right now to spend another $200 on top of what I'm paying for one.

Check craigslist, they often have discontinued tires.

This, or ebay, just google what you're looking for and do your best to find a matching tire. Different tires have different levels of grip, I would want them to match on my car, you would hate to find out on a rainy day that it really does matter.

What I'm thinking I'm gonna do is to put the stockers back on the car till I can afford to get another 3 tires. After doing research on the different tire issue online, subaru seems to be pretty specific about tire differences. It sucks cause I love my Works, but oh well. Shit happens. The rubber on the stockers isn't great, but it doesn't rain a lot where I am and traction shouldn't be an issue.

What I'm thinking I'm gonna do is to put the stockers back on the car till I can afford to get another 3 tires. After doing research on the different tire issue online, subaru seems to be pretty specific about tire differences. It sucks cause I love my Works, but oh well. Shit happens. The rubber on the stockers isn't great, but it doesn't rain a lot where I am and traction shouldn't be an issue.

Better safe than sorry.

Yeah, I made that mistake too. Eye balling can be difficult on our size tires. Ran with a tire at 15-20 psi for too long (possibly a few weeks) before I finally bothered to check it. Definitely grab a gauge, even a $3 from walmart.

Not busting your chops but how/why did you post this?

Eyeballing a low-profile radial tire vs spending $5 on a decent air pressure gauge... :confused:

I did check the pressures with a gauge, but I only checked the front. Stupid I know, but I couldve sworn the issue was coming from the front end. Live and learn.

After I read the first two lines, I was already thinking flat tire (moral of the storry: don't overlook the obvious). That happened to me after I hit a fairly deep pothole, completely flat right front tire, the car just wanted to turn right lol. It was plain as day though, but it took me about 10 - 15 seconds to realize it was the tire.

Archived