LegacyGT.com

EJ251 from a 2001 2.5RS

Phase II, right? It's the SOHC with MAP. What's the amount of effort to completely swap into my 98 Legacy GT? I did a bunch of poking around on here and NASIOC and there wasn't a ton of information, mostly just info on swapping between the same years...I assume I'd need the ecu / wire harness. Bulkhead was mentioned somewhere, would I need that? Isn't that the harness UNDER the dash? If that's the case, no thanks...

It's either that, which I'd prefer to do, or when I pull the EJ25D rebuild the heads and have them put on the EJ251 block and sell the EJ251 heads. The problem with this route is my subaru would be out of commission a lot longer than a straight swap...

Phase II, right? It's the SOHC with MAP. What's the amount of effort to completely swap into my 98 Legacy GT?

this is not a practical swap.

same work as swapping a turbo in except no exhaust work.

find a matching engine.

what is wrong with your 98 GT ej25D?

head gaskets?

rod knock?

seized up?

you could use the 01 short block with the 98 heads and intake.

there may be a specific head gasket to use?????

but that is exactly what the 99 ej25D is,

phase 2 block, with phase 1 head / intake.

I figured as much. It was a convenience and cheap find. I know the guy with the engine and he wants it gone.

Lifters are loud, and she's leaking oil out the front under the timing belt cover. I'm assuming cam or crank seals. I need to do a full timing belt job on her as well anyway, it's time.

I have a 99 lgt that doesn't run, white, I picked her up for like $350. Rod knock like crazy. I was thinking I'd grab another engine and swap it into my current daily, then take the ej25d I pulled and do a timing belt job / slight rebuild and put that in my 99. The 98 is my daily, and I do have other vehicles, but I'd rather not have her down forever. I suppose I'll just keep looking.

Archived