LegacyGT.com

Autoweek all-stars.

Looking at the autoweek page and noticed a forum posting floating at the top. Looks like the legacy made the all-stars, anyone know what for?

Car of the year; BMW 3 series

Design of the year; Solstice

Technology of the year: BMW N52 (s-series ) engine

The other All-stars are :

BMW M5

Z06

Mini-Cooper

Mitsubishi Evo

Porsche Boxster

Subaru Legacy

http://automobilemag.com/news/2006_automobile_of_the_year/

The 2006 AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE All-Stars are:

* All-Star: BMW M5--Aside from this car being insanely fast, this is the first ultra-exotic vehicle with a sedan body that can be driven every day.

* All-Star: Chevrolet Corvette Z06--One of the best performance cars ever made, the driver gets more speed and sheer energy for their dollar.

* All-Star: Mini Cooper--This modestly priced, front-wheel-drive hatchback with great fuel economy is actually an exotic sports car in disguise and yet can still function as simple transportation.

* All-Star: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution--The ultimate boy racer, it's lightweight, has quick responses, and is dominated by its engine.

* All-Star: Porsche Boxster--This vehicle has been deemed the sports car from heaven, with even more horsepower than last year's - a whopping 276 hp.

* All-Star: Subaru Legacy--This vehicle plays multiple roles--sport sedan, all-weather family car, reasonably economical daily driver--giving itself well-deserved honors as an All-Star.

Criteria and Evaluation

The AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE All-Stars are chosen by the AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE staff, its worldwide bureau chiefs, and its contributors, following a week-long test drive of the year's most innovative and important new cars. Vehicles eligible to be considered for the Automobile of the Year award combine the following traits:

* Redefines an existing category or creates a new market segment

* Offers excellent value and performance for the money

* Is an exceptional design

* Offers pure driving enjoyment

The award decisions are not made through an instrumented test process. After the 1000-mile road trip, winners are determined by a round-table discussion that results in a vote for the winner.

Nice. Legacy is starting to get some of the kudos it deserves, along with the new safety ratings for 06, being one of their best pics, as well... SOA still isn't advertizing it, though. ...I dunno...

But you have to ask yourself...

Is it worse that it is more often wrecked per unit sold, or really good that it has pretty much a 95%-100% walk-away rate...

There have been a lot of crack-em-up stories on here the last couple weeks, but I still highly doubt that this car is wrecked any more often (adjusted for it's sales figures) than any other car, like a Taurus, or something...

It's just that who's going to complain and be sad about a wrecked taurus? :D

yes but those driving a taurus do not have the boost of self confidence of driving in snow because they are missing the awd. I am sure it is not the most wrecked. I just think the general forums discussion is becoming one of "Help I got into an accident". Same as I am sure Corvette's is "Help, how do I get out of a reckless speeding ticket."

yes but those driving a taurus do not have the boost of self confidence of driving in snow because they are missing the awd. I am sure it is not the most wrecked. I just think the general forums discussion is becoming one of "Help I got into an accident". Same as I am sure Corvette's is "Help, how do I get out of a reckless speeding ticket."

Some people do make that mistake that AWD or 4WD are invincible, but this time of the year is the same on all car forums. The winter time "help I had a booboo" theme isn't limited to just Subarus.

Think the AWD makes Subaru drivers a little too confident when driving in bad weather. You still have to take it easy and be cautious. But as was said, the walk away rate from the accident is very high :)

+1 Same as some yahoos in SUV's and 4 WD pickups. Some seem to think AWD nothing can go wrong.

+1 Same as some yahoos in SUV's and 4 WD pickups. Some seem to think AWD nothing can go wrong.

The main thing they forget is that all cars have 4wheel stop and stopping distance in snow and ice is pretty much the same for most FWD RWD and AWD cars and 4x4 trucks.

Archived