LegacyGT.com

Best tuner?

• Moderators

Cryo if no AP. Bren is an option if you already have an AP. Just my opinion tho--best advice is to get in touch with all of the tuners that are "registered" here on the forum and feel out the best fit.

That or just PM 'Cryo' ;)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
Best advice is to get a in-person tune.

^Not good advice as far as return on investment for a straightforward stage 2 tune with an intercooler.

IME, I've gotten way more out of my e-tuning experiences with Dave (Cryo) than I would've gotten with an in-person dyno tune. At one point I ended up chasing a finicky vacuum leak that turned out to be the airbox. Going to the local dyno tuner to have the car actually smoke tested yielded no definitive results, and if I was there for a dyno tune with the issue I either would've ended up with a cruddy tune or just getting tossed off the dyno at my expense.

I got way more time and trouble shooting effort out of Dave than what I would expect to receive from most dynotuning "locals" in my area.

• Moderators
I do have an AP. Does Dave do AP maps?

Yes, he does both. Only reason I mentioned the AP is that some tuners REQUIRE you to have an AP, while others don't.

I've been through three separate tunes with Dave on two vehicles now, and I've specifically asked him if he prefers to tune opensource or AP and in my case at least he had no preference. Send him a message with your specific mods / "wants" and I'm sure you'll get a quick reply.

And for the record, I'm biased :)

www.tuningalliance.com, Mike has been keeping my wagon happy and with great mpg for years now. Just checked the dash readout as I came into work, 25.8mpg.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^Not good advice as far as return on investment for a straightforward stage 2 tune with an intercooler.

IME, I've gotten way more out of my e-tuning experiences with Dave (Cryo) than I would've gotten with an in-person dyno tune. At one point I ended up chasing a finicky vacuum leak that turned out to be the airbox. Going to the local dyno tuner to have the car actually smoke tested yielded no definitive results, and if I was there for a dyno tune with the issue I either would've ended up with a cruddy tune or just getting tossed off the dyno at my expense.

I got way more time and trouble shooting effort out of Dave than what I would expect to receive from most dynotuning "locals" in my area.

Sounds like you need some better locals :lol:

Maybe it's because the area around here is saturated with tuners, but it's pretty common here that if the tuner notices something wrong on the dyno they stop what they are doing diagnose the issue and work with the customer to fix it. Just the other week we were diagnosing a OCV issue on a customer's car.

My advice is to read the review threads, talk to the tuners you are interested in, maybe even pm some of the customers and ask about their experience. There are many competent tuners out there. Best of luck with your search.

• Moderators
Sounds like you need some better locals :lol:

Maybe it's because the area around here is saturated with tuners, but it's pretty common here that if the tuner notices something wrong on the dyno they stop what they are doing diagnose the issue and work with the customer to fix it. Just the other week we were diagnosing a OCV issue on a customer's car.

My advice is to read the review threads, talk to the tuners you are interested in, maybe even pm some of the customers and ask about their experience. There are many competent tuners out there. Best of luck with your search.

I would love to have some more *consistent* locals, for sure. Just seems that every tuner around here has mixed reviews :mad:

Like you say though, "interview" the tuners that are out there and figure out who you are comfortable with--whether they are local, etuners, etc.

When i was sending messages to tuners honestly dave (cryotune) got back to me fastest and seemed most willing to help. That's why I got a tune from him. I think the big name back then was shamar and we all know how that turned out...

Uhmm,...what happened with Shamar? I've been gone for a while and apparanetly issed something. Link to post or PM if you don't want to repeat. Thanks,

Kyle

NRW are you boston? Seems there's a few big metro areas where it's easy to get tuned. here in nebraska you need to go a state over to colorado or make a trip to chicago if you want a good dyno/road tune.

Little under an hour outside of Boston. But I agree heavily populated areas it is easier to find a good tuner. New England as a whole you can damn near go town to town and find a tuner of some sort. Anyone in this region is VERY lucky.

Just to be clear, I wasn't talking down on e-tunes at all. If I came off that way I apologize.

Well, I've been running his E-tune for about 2 years. No real issues but I just daily drive it to woek and back so I'm not really pushing it much. Apparaently I need to re-evaluate my logs and be real careful. I like what I've read about Bren Tuning but man, has tuning gotten expensive lately. Thanks for the link,

Kyle

Well, I've been running his E-tune for about 2 years. No real issues but I just daily drive it to woek and back so I'm not really pushing it much. Apparaently I need to re-evaluate my logs and be real careful. I like what I've read about Bren Tuning but man, has tuning gotten expensive lately. Thanks for the link,

Kyle

I'd definitely have someone look at your logs. I had to get mine retuned after running an infamous tune for 2 years as well and my car drives 100x better.

Timing advance CANNOT be tuned properly (or safely) without a dyno.

It is VERY HARD to tune for max power on the street, even with useful tools like Virtual Dyno. But making a safe tune with decent power is very doable, just watching the AFR's, knock count, and try to use consistent roads & weather conditions.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

It is VERY HARD to tune for max power on the street, even with useful tools like Virtual Dyno. But making a safe tune with decent power is very doable, just watching the AFR's, knock count, and try to use consistent roads & weather conditions.

O, virtual dyno. Sounds like an app I got for $5.99

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived