LegacyGT.com

5MT Transmission Failure(s)

Roldan

My 5mt has been making some noise for quite a while now. The tone of the whine is consistent with my speed and is louder under load. When I decelerate it makes kind of like a flutter.

Not only that but shifting into 4th and 5th grind when the trans is warm (about 10 mins of daily driving).

I've been told it could be an input bearing making the noise and it could have stemmed from an improperly installed aftermarket clutch, but of course I wont know until I eventually open it up :) I'm not looking forward to the potential $2000 for a rebuild though...

And i just wanted to throw this out there, this is my first ever post to any forum ever. ;)

Sounds like your 4th/5th gear synchro and the center diff bearings. You might be able to remedy the 4th and 5th gear shift with Extra S fluid, but I wouldn't count on it.

Did you request to access the link I posted on Google Drive with the audio clip? I'm not sure why it still is asking for permission - everyone with the link should be able to view it.

Edited by compsurge

Yea that was me. And now that I'm looking again I can't find the link.

But now that you're saying center diff bearings I'll try that before I really tear into my transmission. Even if they're not ready to go, it'll still be a good preventative measure

Yea that was me. And now that I'm looking again I can't find the link.

But now that you're saying center diff bearings I'll try that before I really tear into my transmission. Even if they're not ready to go, it'll still be a good preventative measure

It took me 2 days to do this job because I waited for the RTV to cure a full 24 hours before putting trans fluid back in.

The link: (link deleted 2022-02-02) If your transmission sounds like a train, its the bearings.

Edited by compsurge

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to close the loop on my car. I've been driving with the bearing whine for a few months now. It hasn't gotten worse, which is why I left it alone for now. It also wasn't as bad as another car that was in the shop with a similar issue... so I felt safer. It really wasn't that loud on my car - I'm just hyper-sensitive to noises on my car!

Finally got the bearings in (about $130 from FredBeans) and scheduled the appointment at the shop to have the work done. From what I had read, it shouldn't take more than a few hours, but the shop said they had to pull more out than just the tailshaft... is this job very different on the LGT vs the WRX (eg http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170285 )?

In any case, they completed the job and the car is quiet again... my center diff seemed fine with all my testing, so we left it alone. Upon inspection, they didn't see anything wrong with it either, so there's no sense in replacing it. Not like I race the car...

I'm still curious about the time it took them... so I'd love to know if WRX vs LGT is really that different?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the bearings didn't look as bad as the others I've seen here and on NASIOC... but you could see streaks and pitting on some of them. Still, since it's quiet now, this proves they were the source anyway, so I'm happy. I didn't bother taking more pics since the ones shown here are much easier to see... but keep in mind, it doesn't take much to make them start being noisy!

Edited by schwinn

Figured I'd just add a little something.

5MT, 71k miles, gear oil changed @ 25k/50k.

Whines on the gas through 1-2, 3rd is where she quiets down. Any manny tranny that I've driven or ridden in sounds like its supercharged through 1st/2nd. Is this normal?

Shifting through all the gears are smooth, though going into 5th I get more grind than I feel is normal. No whining at highway speeds. Could this be a soon blown 5th gear?

Figured I'd just add a little something.

5MT, 71k miles, gear oil changed @ 25k/50k.

Whines on the gas through 1-2, 3rd is where she quiets down. Any manny tranny that I've driven or ridden in sounds like its supercharged through 1st/2nd. Is this normal?

Shifting through all the gears are smooth, though going into 5th I get more grind than I feel is normal. No whining at highway speeds. Could this be a soon blown 5th gear?

Mine still whines under 30mph even after installing new center diff bearings and 80kmiles (03wrx 5speed), I'm just keeping an eye out for a good deal on a spare and taking it easy on 1-3 shifts.

My first 93 SS 5 speed lasted 130k and chipped a 2nd gear tooth while softly downshifting at a measely 10mph. This was after the 2nd gear synchro was well worn for at least 30k. Edited by USLiberty

• 4 months later...

Lost 5th gear in the drive into work this AM. on the highway 60-65mph it just popped out of gear. Have 4th and 1st and 2nd, can't get it to go into 3rd. When the shifter goes into 5th, there is nothing there.

No noise at all.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
Lost 5th gear in the drive into work this AM. on the highway 60-65mph it just popped out of gear. Have 4th and 1st and 2nd, can't get it to go into 3rd. When the shifter goes into 5th, there is nothing there.

No noise at all.

Dammit, man. I'm sorry to hear this.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Thanks, I drove the car home on the back roads, tranny works fine as long as you don't use 5th. I'll pull it over the weekend.

I'll have to look thru the manual and see what it could be.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lost-5th-gear-230601.html

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5295_zps3025c9b3.jpg

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

No noise at all.

Ack. Sorry :(

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Na, can't justify the expense on a car this old.

It will be a 5mt, 97,000 miles 90 day warranty on parts. Picking it up after work.

You're very thorough having it opened up and checked out.

I'd probably just pop some new seals in it, maybe replace the shifter u-joint, and call it a day. But then again, I'd probably be sorry later ;)

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• 2 months later...
just had my 5th gear blow out while highway riding in cruise control. plan on doing the rebuild myself but i wont be able to for a week or so....to be continued

Good times. Do you have a press?

just had my 5th gear blow out while highway riding in cruise control. plan on doing the rebuild myself but i wont be able to for a week or so....to be continued

Where in CT are you ? My tranny guy Lives in Windsor Locks if you need. He works in Somersville, at Eastwoods Automotive Machine Shop.

Good times. Do you have a press?

no i dont have a press...i havent really done all of my research yet as to how im gonna rebuild it so i guess ill add that to the list haha.

Where in CT are you ? My tranny guy Lives in Windsor Locks if you need. He works in Somersville, at Eastwoods Automotive Machine Shop.

I might end up using him then if there are certain things required in the build out of my means, i live a couple towns over from windsor locks actually and go to school at uconn

no i dont have a press...i havent really done all of my research yet as to how im gonna rebuild it so i guess ill add that to the list haha.

I might end up using him then if there are certain things required in the build out of my means, i live a couple towns over from windsor locks actually and go to school at uconn

Uconn, if you drive on rt195, your about mile from me.

Let me know if you need to know how to get a hold of my guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the tranny

Out the car last night. Decided doing the rebuild myself might be too difficult. Think I'm gonna end up buying a used one with lower mileage through a local subie shop owner or find somewhere to get it rebuilt...mabye EFI

Edited by CrymesGT