LegacyGT.com

Power steering pump or something else

Just had my car service at the dealer for its 60k. The dealer suggested v-belt and power steering fluid change for $200. I decided to do that myself for $45. I did a simple drain and fill of the power steering system by turning the wheel lock to lock. I flushed 2 quarts of new ATF through it and pumped out all the brownish, nasty smelling crap that was in there. I also changed both belts.

I fixed the squealing problem on cold startup and hard turns but now have a new problem. The steering wheel shakes/stutters when turning. The harder/faster I turn, the worse the shake gets and eventually starts making a rattling noise. It almost sounds like the sound is coming from the front drivers side wheel area but I'm not entirely sure. could this issue be my power steering pump? or could it be my rack n pinion system?

Any help and insight is appreciated

A power steering system is a hydraulic system. The best fluid for it is hydraulic oil, not ATF. ATF has additives in it that can cause varnish inside the steering pump.

That being said you probably have some air in the system. Put the front end of the car up on jack stands, and with the car running slowly turn the wheel back and forth from lock to lock a few times.

The manual says ATF. ATF is just a hydraulic oil with friction modifiers to keep clutch plates from slipping in automatic transmissions, and detergents to keep the valve bodies clear of build up. Neither of those serve any purpose in a hydraulic pump.

Clean ATF is better than the dirty stuff that was in there, and it's what the dealership would have used.

A power steering system is a hydraulic system. The best fluid for it is hydraulic oil, not ATF. ATF has additives in it that can cause varnish inside the steering pump.

You are terribly wrong. I pray you don't put hydraulic fluid in your PS.

There are very few exceptiuons, but 98% of all power steering pumps use dexron (ATF). Look in your manual.

On the other hand you are probably right about air in his sysytem and it will have to work itself out

Do more of that lock to lock.

O.

• 4 weeks later...
I thought normal practice is to lift front wheels off ground, start car, and have buddy to lock-to-lock turning, as you are draining the PS return line into a bucket as you pour replacement (new) PS fluid into the reservoir at a rate that does not allow air entry. When you notice returns are running clear (color of the new fluid) stop the engine.

Archived